Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

FlightGear database statistics

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: FlightGear database statistics

Postby Zequinha » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks Torsten for the static models.

Here we go without the noise:

World:

Europe:

The US shows quite a difference between shared and actual static model positions! Wow!
Zequinha

Postby Zequinha » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks Hooray for your informative answer! I might get back with more questions about this topic at some point. I think the only advantage of using Python is because of the high quality of the maps and they are extremely tweakable.
Zequinha

Postby statto » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 am

These are great maps, thanks!

There used to be a count of objects by country on the website but that disappeared at some point... I miss that as it was helpful in figuring out areas I could fill with objects.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Zequinha » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks!

I think that there is interest on this, I can update the maps when there is a new release of FlightGear, so we can see which regions have been allocated more resources!
However, to do this I need to be supplied with updated lists of shared and static object positions. So if someone from the FG database updates the dropbox data, that would be great!
Zequinha

Postby Hooray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 am

Thinking about it, a viable compromise might be to use the Python tools you have to pre-create the corresponding map layers, and get those committed to fgdata, so that any built-in FlightGear systems (mongoose/Phi, Qt5 or Nasal/Canvas) can use those background images to dynamically create a "live" map using what's available in $FG_SCENERY.

apart from that, like I said, I am not familiar with the APIs available to actually query $FG_SCENERY accordingly, other than actually parsing all of those STG/BTG files manually - which is arguably something that should take place in a background thread.

That being said, Nasal does provide support for using threads via the thread.newthread() API:

Code: Select all

var myLongRunningFunction = func() {

for(var i=0; i<=10000;i+=1) {

for(var j=0; j<=10000;j+=1) {
}

}

} # myLongRunningFunction

var t = thread.newthread( myLongRunningFunction);

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Zequinha » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Hooray,

Do you mean getting the maps fetched from mapgear to a folder so they can be loaded in runtime by built-in FlightGear systems?

If yes, I can adapt mapgear to produce a map with the cursor position every t seconds (depending on the projection used/zoom/speed of the aircraft). For further discussion on how to get mapgear to work at runtime, please use viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31741. I would be very happy to discuss this!

This topic is about getting the FG database statistics mapped out using mapgear.
Last edited by Zequinha on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zequinha

Postby Torsten » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Zequinha wrote in Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:24 am:I think that there is interest on this, I can update the maps when there is a new release of FlightGear, so we can see which regions have been allocated more resources!
However, to do this I need to be supplied with updated lists of shared and static object positions. So if someone from the FG database updates the dropbox data, that would be great!

I'd rather prefer running a scheduled task (aka cron job) probably daily to create those maps straight from the scenery server. If you don't mind, I'll take a look at your scripts and check what's needed to get them running and query the database directly. Do you know how easily the tools can run as a tile renderer like renderd or alike?

I would not recommend to add the generated maps to the FGData-GIT. We could think of adding them to the base package during the release process, if there is a run-time use case for them.

statto wrote in Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 am:There used to be a count of objects by country on the website but that disappeared at some point... I miss that as it was helpful in figuring out areas I could fill with objects.

You mean this: https://scenery.flightgear.org/stats.php ?
If anything else is missing, it should be easy to recover. The site's source code is gittified.
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Zequinha » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Torsten, you are welcome to use and modify the scripts as they are GPLv2+. The script I used to generate the FG scenery plots is the MapGear_FGmodels.py in https://github.com/crazyBaboon/MapGear

''Do you know how easily the tools can run as a tile renderer like renderd or alike? " I am sorry... what is renderd?
Zequinha

Postby Hooray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Torsten wrote in Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:02 pm:We could think of adding them to the base package during the release process, if there is a run-time use case for them.

It should be fairly easy to come up with several use-cases, even if just optional ones - as in showing a corresponding overlay in the map-canvas.xml dialog, using that in some experimental MFDs or for the shuttle trajectory/orbital map.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Zequinha » Sat May 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi folks,

Is there any way of getting the updated .csv file of the static objects positions in the FlightGear Database?

I want to update the maps with the new static object positions and upload a few cute maps to the FlightGear Newsletter.

The previous file I have is https://www.dropbox.com/s/g64ylvstksuxz ... s.csv?dl=1, which contains 5402 static models. Currently, as of May 2018 there are 7053 unique models ( https://scenery.flightgear.org/ ).

Thanks
Zequinha

Postby Catalanoic » Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Nice idea for Newsletter, we need more content
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Previous

Return to Scenery