Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Replay vs. environment

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Replay vs. environment

Postby Darkriser » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am

I noticed that when I switch to replay, the environment (AI planes, weather, probably time) doesn't "rewind" back in time.
The result is that for example when I saw an AI plane on approach, it's not there during the replay.
This is just an ugly detail nobody cares about, I think.

But recently I started to learn landing on carriers.
I always watch to the replays in order to see mistakes I made.
But oh....when I rewind back in time, the carrier keeps moving....but my replay lands the plane on position where the carrier was located at the time the replay was recorded!!
The result is - I see the plane landing "in the air", the carrier is hundreads of feets in front of me and I'm unable to assess my landing skills.

Is there any solution for this?
Darkriser

Version: next

Re: Replay vs. environment

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Stop the carrier. You can edit the AI-scenario to set speed to zero.
Thorsten

Postby Darkriser » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:54 pm:Stop the carrier. You can edit the AI-scenario to set speed to zero.

Smells like cheating, but yeah, it's a solution :-)
Darkriser

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 pm

A potentially more robust solution would be to add the carrier properties required to the recorder configuration, if that is even possible.

I've never looked at the carrier and how it works or is coded.

The aircraft has a section of code that records the required properties to the "replay tape"so to speak. I don't see why you couldn't also add the required carrier properties to that same tape?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Hooray » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:33 pm

depending on the subsystem that is possible, and the recommended way to deal with this - for details, refer to $FG_ROOT/README.flightrecorder

(basically, you won't want to add this to any aircraft specific files, but instead come up with a new config)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Darkriser wrote in Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am:when I rewind back in time, the carrier keeps moving....but my replay lands the plane on position where the carrier was located at the time the replay was recorded!!

you'll see this with some aircraft and other things, too... what it is is that the recorder system is not recording those data points for those other things... i don't think it can record things like the carriers but you can see this lack of data when instruments don't match the replay... i'm trying to remember what the big one was that the c172p team found which lead to them expanding the recorder stuff in the c172p's code... i'm not even sure the sun and moon rewind when running a long flight tape :lol:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying