Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

More time between FlightGear Newsletter issues?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: More time between FlightGear Newsletter issues?

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks for doing that, way to go - if we can now motivate a few more people to get involved in doing just like that, we will actually have a nice newsletter at the end of this month, which goes to show that it's not exactly difficult to come up with a newsletter - all it takes is people to actually "care" a little, so that they can get involved in one way or another.
Just looking at the forum, the devel list and the commit logs, there really is tons of stuff currently going on, and it really isn't difficult to add relevant developments/news to the newsletter, or invite people to add their own projects to the newsletter.

However, many people feel a little "shy" about doing so, so they may need some encouragement - because most people feel that the newsletter is only edited by "core developers", whereas that's actually rarely the case at all - the newsletter is primarily written by forum users, and that's actually a great way to get involved without having to write any code.

Like I said a few weeks ago, I used to simply configure the forum search to show all threads/topics started (or updated) in the last 3-5 weeks, and then see if anything relevant shows up - and if so, I would add it to the newsletter, or in some cases reach out to the corresponding folks.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:01 pm

I used to simply configure the forum search

I'd be very interested in learning how to do that. Is that a moderator-only feature? Advanced search doesn't seem to have it.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Advanced search in conjunction with the "quick search" links shown at the top of the main page should work, I don't know if any of the exposed settings have recently changed though - maybe Gijs or others can shed some light ?

For the devel list, see. https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... e=threaded

For the commit logs, see:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/flightgear/feed
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/simgear/feed
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/feed
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:53 pm

I've added a fair bit to this month's newsletter.
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php?ti ... on=history
legoboyvdlp

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:23 pm

thank you, that's looking good - regarding your ALS related additions, you may however want to get in touch with Thorsten, who's told me previously, that he prefers to decide for himself if/when and how something is added to the newsletter.

Apart from that, the newsletter is supposed to be mostly "self-contained", which is why it is generally better to actually add screenshots to the wiki directly - because people reading the newsletter 5+ years from now would possibly/probably end up with dead links referencing screenshots that are no longer available. This is one of the most common problems related to URLs posted on the forum and the devel list: they're hardly useful several years later.

Thus, if Thorsten agrees with the additions, I would consider uploading the corresponding screenshots, too - just to be sure, that the newsletter will be self-contained many years from now.

The other thing worth keeping in mind is that some of tend to use the newsletter for writing the changelog, too - so that it really useful if we don't depend on external sources, too much (which is inevitable when it comes to youtube videos obviously). Then again, a while ago, some core developers were also using several publishes newsletters to create handouts for FSWeekend/LinuxTag respectively - and then is obviously preferable to include images directly rather than reference external links.

Again, these things are best coordinated with Thorsten directly - just saying, because previously requested that I don't add things to the newsletter until he considers them ready for "prime time", and he said specifically said he'd be quite capable of doing that himself if/when the time has come to do so.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Many thanks. I'll remove that for now.
legoboyvdlp

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Johan G wrote in Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:15 pm:I think it would be technically possible to make templates that could simplify adding new newsletter blanks (but I have said that for years without doing anything about it :oops: ).

Finally got around to a first sandbox test (perm). It is quite doable, but is only a draft for now. (See also the Village Pump Perm.)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi,
The June Newsletter is ready for locking.

Also, I hope you don't mind Johan - I edited your template to add the flightsim.com forum and instagram links ;)

Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Postby Johan G » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:51 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:31 pm:Also, I hope you don't mind Johan - I edited your template to add the flightsim.com forum and instagram links ;)

I do mind, but only a little. I only meant that page as a quick draft to show how it could be done. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Sorry, I didn't realize - is there another template that I should use instead? I think your format is very good - perhaps I could make an 'official' template (ie not under your namespace) and then restore your old version?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Johan G » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:49 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm:Sorry, I didn't realize [...]

That is ok. :)

[...] I think your format is very good [...]

Thanks, but it is only a copy-paste from various newsletter editions. :wink:

[...] is there another template that I should use instead? [...] perhaps I could make an 'official' template (ie not under your namespace) and then restore your old version?

Maybe we should have a draft in the Template namespace, so all editing happens in one spot. There seems to be at least three users interested in editing the template. We could add a draft template to the top of that page. I should perhaps have done that when I saw there was interest.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:39 pm

may i ask why the 2017 stuff in the village pump hasn't been archived yet? i don't know how or i might have tried doing it myself...

that's kinda like my question about a convert function for measurements... i don't know how to get to a sandbox to even try it out... yes, i edit on several wikis but that's generally only simple things like correcting spelling and formatting... sometimes maybe starting a new page or such but i've never done anything with any sandboxes...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:09 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:39 pm:may i ask why the 2017 stuff in the village pump hasn't been archived yet? i don't know how or i might have tried doing it myself...

It looks like it was partially archived. Someone probably thinks what is there is still relevant.

i don't know how to get to a sandbox to even try it out... [...] sometimes maybe starting a new page or such but i've never done anything with any sandboxes...

Seems like I should improve the help pages a little bit (diff, diff). I have also added a response on your discussion page (perm).
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:34 pm

i saw your response and took a bit of a bite... i made a sub-page (aka sandbox page??) and attempted to use your convert template in it... it seems to work but there are errors reported... i'll look for more info from you about this on the wiki in your or my talk pages ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project