Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Autoconf and automake

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Autoconf and automake

Postby C032H272JB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Last edited by C032H272JB on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
C032H272JB

Re: Autoconf and automake

Postby Darkriser » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Did you try -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=<FULL path to SimGear install> switch?
I also had tough times until I discovered that ABSOLUTE path (and NOT relative one) is required.
Darkriser

Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm

C032H272JB wrote in Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:20 pm:Why did the flightgear team migrated to cmake from autoconf/automake?

AFAIK, they did not... i had to actually build and install a newer version of cmake on my system for the newer code stuffs... there might be some autoconf stuff but i haven't seen it in my logs when i compile on linux... there is something called automoc that is used in one or two places... perhaps that's what you are seeing??
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 pm

cmake is there for a reason - if you'd like to learn more, I suggest to run a forum/devel list search.
Anyway, the main point to be made here is that cmake can just as well spit out automake-style files - and in fact, that is what is commonly done on Linux.

What is most likely the culprit here is that the problem is unrelated to cmake, but has more to do with your build system/setup in general - i.e. it won't be solved by using automake/autoconf

It would make more sense to provide detailed information regarding your specific problem - but the cmake machinery is pretty hardened these days, so that it is generally safe to assume that it just works, if it doesn't, something else went wrong way earlier
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby C032H272JB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Last edited by C032H272JB on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
C032H272JB

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 pm

C032H272JB wrote in Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm:What is inside the computer components is not relevant, only the software.

he's talking about your system's configuration and the layout of your directory structure you're trying to use to build FG... if you don't know the directory structure and where the necessary items needed to build FG are, then you're going to have a very long battle getting it built... in the download_and_compile.sh script, everything is housed under one directory which you choose... then other directories are created to store the repositories of the FG code in... additional directories are created for the cmake stuff and where those code files are written to so they can be used when building FG... finally there's the last set of directories where the various parts are installed so they can actually be executed and used...

FG == flightgear
SG == simgear - a part of flightgear that handles the simulation aspects
OSG == openscenegraph - this handles all of the drawing and graphics
plib == a small graphical interface library for menus and dialog boxes

the FG and SG parts are definitely needed to be built... they are version matched because differences between them can lead to a non-working sim... the other two parts are lower level code... over here, we build all four of the above but we could get by with not building OSG... we do so as to try to have the latest release so we don't miss any features in FG... we do already miss some, though, because of having older libraries that we cannot update on these systems...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to The FlightGear project