Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Poll: Terrasync (dynamic loading of terrain) works?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

See the post for the different issues

Issue 1
12%
Issue 2
2%
Issue 3
3%
Issue 4
2%
Issue 5
4%
Issue 6
10%
Issue 7
9%
Issue 8
2%
Conclusion 1
10%
Conclusion 2
9%
Conclusion 3
5%
Tool 1
20%
Tool 2
7%
Tool 3
4%
Tool 4
4%

Total votes : 112

Re: Poll: Terrasync (dynamic loading of terrain) works?

Postby PINTO » Tue May 23, 2017 12:39 am

Yeah I'd be happy to use wireshark and look for anything as well (windows 10).
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Torsten » Tue May 23, 2017 3:19 pm

What you should expect in Wireshark (or any other protocol sniffer):
- Your client creates up to four (4) connections to the same terrasync server (http port 80)
=> check: there should be up to four client TCP ports connected to port 80 of the TS server
- Each connection should be kept open and http requests should occur over those already open connections (this is called pipelining)
- There should only be a very short delay (few milliseconds) between a completed request and the next request on the same connection

What you should not see:
- a sequence of RST/TCP between http requests (that would indicate not using pipelining)
- Just one TCP connection (one open client port connected to port 80 on the server)
- delays of more than a few milliseconds between requests
- delays of more than up to 100 milliseconds between TCP packets and their corresponding ACKs (this is hard to spot due)

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby dilbert » Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 am

Terrasync works fine for me, although it takes several minutes to download in dense scenery areas (Hartsfield Int). Once loaded it works great. If I turn off automatic scenery downloading and load from the retained Terrasync file, it loads quickly, but I get little loading skips when flying, which I don't get if when it's live on line. Think these skips are from loading from the hard drive; and would probably not exist if I was using a solid state drive. Like the way Terrasync adds and updates scenery where I'm flying. No complaints. :)

Flew A6 from Hartsfield this morning using 2017.2.1 on my Intel I3. Scenery installed almost instantly with automatic scenery downloading off and showed no sign of skips, which seems to be an improvement over 2017.1.3. Was using 14% processor, 1.4 MEG Ram, and .1% HD. Microsoft was simultaneously using about 25% in background for Windows Module Installer.
Reran with automatic scenery downloading on. Took exactly 3 minutes to download and install scenery. CPU use varied from 14 to 28%, which variation I suspect had mostly to do with internet and/or server.

Ran the A6 at Hartsfield using my AMD 8-7410 laptop. It took 7 minutes to download and install using TerraSync. Then noticed
Chrome was the default browser on the I3; whereas, Edge was the default browser on the AMD 8. Changed the default browser on the AMD 8 to Chrome. This time it took 4 minutes to download and install-not quite as good as on the I3, but a large improvement over using Edge. :D

Took 6 minutes on AMD 8-7410 using Firefox

Retried I3 using Explorer. Took 5 minutes versus 3 with Chrome, so sticking with Chrome for the time being...
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby asr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:58 pm

I get random problems with terrasync, some days it doesn't want to load terrain.

Whenever I look into the download dialog, it always says there are errors downloading, and the log always shows failed to fetch some stuff here and there. Even when it does seem to be working fine. This for some 2-3 years now.

I resorted to use Terramaster to download most of the scenery I use, but this in turn causes problems with outdated scenery ----> crashes when flying over some areas.

All the networking code in Flightgear seems sloppy to me, like it's not even prepared to deal with the slightest failure, and once something goes wrong it doesn't recover (same problem with METAR fetch, multiplayer, etc.)
asr

Postby Clive2670 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 pm

asr wrote in Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:58 pm:I resorted to use Terramaster to download most of the scenery I use, but this in turn causes problems with outdated scenery ----> crashes when flying over some areas.

Have you tried using portreekid's latest version of Terramaster? It can be found here: https://github.com/Portree-Kid/terramaster I have never had a problem with it crashing on me. If you sync' the tiles that you will be using about every 2 weeks to make sure there is no "outdated" scenery ( All of Europe only takes about 2 hours to do) I find that trying to use terrasync "On the fly" is so slooooow its unbelievable it sometimes won't even download quick enough to the speed flying, So I gave up with it months ago and always use Terramaster. Hope this helps
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:30 pm

one can also use the terrasync.py script from FGMETA... it has a "quick" option where it checks only the directories that have changed... i run it three times a week on average (right now) and it only takes a few minutes to update the entire world... of course, downloading the entire world is the first thing and it does take a while... especially since it is like 80someodd gigabytes... but once it is down, keeping it up to date is nothing...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby asr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Thank you! I will try it.
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire preceeding message
asr

Postby Oswald » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:18 pm

I do have problems with Terrasync as well as with Terramaster (version of Portree-Kid) and suspect a wrong adjustment in my flightgear: Using only Terrasync, some tiles are missing and will not load. Having downloaded them via Terramaster, they might still be missing, wether or not I tick the "Download scenery automatically" button (FG 2017.2.1). Download location is C:/Users/<myname>/Documents/FlightGear/Terrasync.

The Terramaster wiki refers to FGRun which I do not find in FG 2017.2.1.

Do you have an idea what is wrong with my FG adjustments and were I can find and check them?
Oswald

Postby zakalawe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:15 pm

That sounds like a scenery loading issue, not a TerraSync / Terramaster issue then. Which tiles is it? And what errors do you see in the fgfs.log file if any?
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire preceeding post
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW

Postby Oswald » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks zakalawe, being not very sophisticated in computer issues, I took some time to find out myself with your hints. The problem appeared to be much easier: I simply had not specified the TerraSync Scenery location in the add-on part of the launcher. At least preload with Terramaster worked fine now, next time I will try Terrasync again.
Oswald

Postby zakalawe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 am

Oswald wrote in Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 pm:The problem appeared to be much easier: I simply had not specified the TerraSync Scenery location in the add-on part of the launcher. A

You don't need to specify the location, it's added automatically when you enable TerraSync.
zakalawe

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:53 pm

you do have to add it when you have to use a custom location... especially on linux when tools will not show you the .fgfs directory where terrasync is hidden... i had to manually point terramaster to ~/.fgfs/terrasync when i was using it and deity forbid if i messed up and clicked the configure option in it... i decided to not fight all the various terrasync type tools and created a custom scenery directory that everything can easily see and use... now terrasync, terramaster, terrasync.py and a few other home grown solutions can all play in the same playground and update the scenery as needed... the best part is that once the world is downloaded, one can fly anywhere and update the scenery once a month, week, whenever they choose... terrasync can easily be too slow and it is hampered by things out of your control... with a fast enough craft, one can even out fly the terrain loading code when all the scenery stuff is already downloaded and available on fast local disks...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Oswald » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:44 pm

zakalawe wrote in Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 am:
Oswald wrote in Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 pm:The problem appeared to be much easier: I simply had not specified the TerraSync Scenery location in the add-on part of the launcher. A

You don't need to specify the location, it's added automatically when you enable TerraSync.

I actually had defined a Custom Scenery folder. For whatever reasons the Terrasync downloads ended up in a location within this folder and was never found again. I guess this is the reason why the scenery download started all over again with every start of FG even at the same airfield. Having defined a Terrasync folder beside the Custom Scenery it appears to work fine. Problem with FG 2017.x is that there is no FGRun and I did not find an fgfs directory in the program so had to do everything within the launcher.
Oswald

Postby zakalawe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm quite confuses by that description, the expected use case with the launcher is to let TerraSync to its preferred location (inside the downloads directory), and in this case no custom scenery paths or anything else is needed. Can you explain what options you are setting in the launcher, since it sounds as if you entered an invalid configuration, but if you start entering custom options the code tends to assume they are correct - we don't do much validation if you setup a combination of options which don't make sense.
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire preceeding post
zakalawe

Postby Oswald » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Sorry that I confused you :)
FG 2017.2.1, launcher:
Settings, Downloads, Download location: C:/Users/<myname>/Documents/FlightGear

add-ons, Additional scenery locations:
Before my current changes (and leading to the problems described): C;/Users/<myname>/Documents/Flightgear/Custom Scenery. => Within that folder on my PC (Windows 10) there was built up a folder "TerraSync", the files collected via TerraSync were stored there, but not (at least not in a reliable way) used by FG. I did change the Download location in the launcher to C:/Users/<myname>/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync, did not make any difference.

Current changes: I created a folder C:/Users/<myname>/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync and added this string to Additional scenery locations. Now it works fine.

I hope, this helps to understand, sorry for unprofessional description in terms of computer and english language, try my best ...
Last edited by bugman on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
Oswald

PreviousNext

Return to Flying