Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FGRUN And 2017.3.0

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FGRUN And 2017.3.0

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:33 pm

I have been made aware that FGRUN doesn't work with 2017.3.0
THIS IS NOT OK!

When I am developing, I often need to restart FG to reload textures, or nasal files.... Usually, I can just click on "Run" in the FGRUN windows, and my FGFS starts up nicely again.

With the QT Launcher, I have to open it up again, which sometimes take up to 5 seconds, then click some options again, then click the start, or fly, or run, I don't remember what it says.

Changing airports I need to do sometimes to test different systems, and this is much easier in FGRUN

So I ask -- PLEASE DO NOT BREAK FGRUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, FGRUN was a far superior launcher, for developers at least, and I wish it was still maintained.

Disappointed,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Re: FGRUN And 2017.3.0

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:45 pm

I have to agree with this. While the new launcher, at least in aesthetics, is superior to FGRUN for general flying, I agree that it is easier to use FGRUN's tools as a developer.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:00 pm

it0uchpods wrote in Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:33 pm:I have been made aware that FGRUN doesn't work with 2017.3.0

can you provide more detail?
could it be due to --[dis|en]able-enhanced-lighting has been deprecated and removed? it is a long obsolete option that hasn't done anything in years... since 2014 or before IIRC the dev- list thread... simply unselect that option if you have it in your FGRUN...

it0uchpods wrote in Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:33 pm:With the QT Launcher, I have to open it up again, which sometimes take up to 5 seconds, then click some options again, then click the start, or fly, or run, I don't remember what it says.

you should not have to keep setting options that are the same between flights... the --launcher should be recording and saving them in its config for the next start... i agree about the time it takes to reload but have to wonder why you can't/don't use the reload options in the F10->Debug menu?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:20 pm

"have to wonder why you can't/don't use the reload options in the F10->Debug menu?" : Maybe it0uchpods need to restart/reload FG a lot of times to test something, like for me, in scenery is also needed, previous launcher was better on that direction but lacks the style and 1-click options of the new launcher for mainstream users. The alternative, using debug-options dont work 100%, there're bugs and dont takes the same effect as a new FG start from launcher, maybe we can launch dual launchers like the console does to keep the old launcher, despite unmaintained for years.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Guys, that must have been said a hundred times:

FG is fundamentally a command-line application.

This means, ultimately any launcher is just a fancy tool to assemble a commandline. If FGRun assembles a sane commandline, it'll continue to work for the forseeable future. It's just not packaged, extended or maintained any more.

And there's other launchers, which work... because all they need to do is assemble a commandline.

And if you actually develop, consider just typing your commandline into a shell of your choice, and you'll have all the goodies like shell history at your fingertips.
Thorsten

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:25 pm

@wkitty42
Please point me to where I can reload texture or nasal via the Debug Nasal... I see no such options.

OK, I was made aware by a friend.

I still don't like that QTLauncher, it takes forever to find a plane in the many many models I have installed, due to the useless (in my opinion) thumbnail making each select huge, I don't have time to search every time, I want to scroll, and click. Fast. I am very busy!

@Catalanoic
Exactly.

I need a simple 1 click to restart FG after it's been closed, exactly the same scenerio.

I will test it once I've got some time, and report if I can get FGRUN working (I can't imagine it would be so hard, as FGRUN just starts FG from cmd basically.)

@Thorsten
As said above, I can't imagine it would be so hard, as FGRUN just starts FG from cmd basically.

I was made aware of this, I did not test it itself. I did want to know if anyone knew about intentionally breaking FGRUN.

I could start from CMD each time -- sure -- but, I am very busy, and I don't have the time to type it out each time. FGRUN is basically a 3 click solution to start FGFS. Fast, and Easy. (Maybe I should maintain it.... once I've got more time, seems no-one else wants to)

Thorsten wrote:And if you actually develop

What's that supposed to mean?

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:36 pm

I could start from CMD each time -- sure -- but, I am very busy, and I don't have the time to type it out each time.

Well, that's called 'shell history' and exists since forever. bash has the two keystroke solution - 'arrow up' brings up the last command and 'return' executes it - before the launcher of your choice even starts, I'm halfway through the FG init.

What's that supposed to mean?

That developers shouldn't be afraid of commandlines.
Thorsten

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:39 pm

I've used the command line several times (Windows CMD, Linux Terminal), and I'm very comfortable with it. But FGRUN is a more elegant solution to quick launching/relaunching of FGFS. There is no need to be attacking me because I prefer not to use the commandline to start FGFS.

Octal450

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:50 pm

There is no need to be attacking me because I prefer not to use the commandline to start FGFS.

Quite so - which is why nobody has done that. Which you'll discover when you read back. By all means, if you like FGRun use it!
Thorsten

Postby daweed » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm

@it0uchpods
You can use FFGo , it work perfectly and it's quite simple to add any option , that the launcher i am using for my own project and i have several options to declare each connexion to interfaces
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:57 pm

@daweed
I have tried it, and I did not find it much of an improvement over the QT5 launcher.

@Thorsten
It appeared to me, that you were calling me a "fake" developer, for not using the commandline.

Thorsten wrote:And if you actually develop

You know perfectly well that I develop.

Octal450

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't think using only GUI interfaces instead of commanlines refers to be a fake developer, more important is to be fine improving and learning what you want to do and share it for good, because there're some different levels to contribute to FG or any software project and we haven't too many hands to reach all of them. Using Qtlauncher, FFgo, FGRun, commanline, custom interfaces, etc.. is the choice of your needs

Perhaps useful: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Command_line_options
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Gees, guy lets not turn a simple bit of advice and information into something personal. @it0uchpods, obviously you took it that way, but I assure you it wasn't meant that way.

My first reaction to not supporting FGRUN anymore was the same as all of you that still like to use it. But I found by using the new qt-launcher or command line or even scripts, I can launch very quickly and don't miss fgun at all. In fact after using qt-launcher more extensively I find I can locate the version of multiple aircraft I want easier than fgrun. The search feature is invaluable for that.
Trust me, like all of us, I have had to reboot the sim so many times in short periods of development that it actually made me anxious. FGRUN was the last thing on my mind.

With all that said, exactly what is the problem with fgrun, any errors or log entries to go on?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Octal450 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 am

No, I heard it didn't work. I wanted to confirm that this was not the case, which, obviously, it is not. (Come to think of it, why wouldn't it work? All FGRun does is make a commandline to start FGFS)

I still find the QT-Launcher Silly. FGRUN was better in almost every aspect. (In my opinion, of course)

I don't see how this was advice. Please point to me where the advice was?

THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THIS POST TO ASK AND MAKE SURE THAT WHATEVER WAS CAUSING THAT FRIEND'S FGFS TO STOP WORKING, WAS NOT THE NEW ONE PURPOSELY NOT WORKING WITH FGRUN (Like different executable name, different options for aircraft, scenery, etc)

Octal450

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:27 am

it0uchpods wrote in Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 am:THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THIS POST TO ASK AND MAKE SURE THAT WHATEVER WAS CAUSING THAT FRIEND'S FGFS TO STOP WORKING, WAS NOT THE NEW ONE PURPOSELY NOT WORKING WITH FGRUN (Like different executable name, different options for aircraft, scenery, etc)

apparently you missed what i wrote...
wkitty42 wrote in Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:00 pm:could it be due to --[dis|en]able-enhanced-lighting has been deprecated and removed? it is a long obsolete option that hasn't done anything in years... since 2014 or before IIRC the dev- list thread... simply unselect that option if you have it in your FGRUN...

i'll also add that since it has been deprecated and removed, having it in your command line for fgfs will cause it to abort with an invalid command line error... that's why i said to remove the option if you have it turned on... pass that back to whomever you heard that FGRUN wouldn't work any more... they should find it useful information...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Next

Return to The FlightGear project