Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

osm2city.py development

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: osm2city.py development

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:18 pm

vanosten wrote in Sat May 20, 2017 6:54 pm:I have generated 2 sceneries for smaller areas around KBOS and ENBR.

do you know when is the projected time for them to appear in terrasync?

also, can you or anyone else say what the status is for the other osm2city scenery files listed on that page? are they still operational or should we wait to use them?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby paju1986 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 pm

They will still work but they are outdated, i will regenerate the ones i did when 2017.2 come out
paju1986

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:53 pm

ok... i'll hold off on using them, then... their names leave a little bit to be desired unless one changes them on download of the archives... maybe naming them like the link title would be better? ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby vanosten » Mon May 22, 2017 5:36 pm

I have updated the manual at http://osm2city.readthedocs.io/en/latest/.

There are currently two choices:
  1. Generate sceneries for FG version 2017.2. You get nicer effects, fewer files and smaller disk volume. The drawback is that the scenery is not usable in previous versions of FlightGear.
  2. Generate sceneries like before - and get the opposite.

If you go with the first choice, then you need:
  • Set parameter FLAG_2017_2 = True
  • Make sure to update osm2city-data (I will proper tags later, for now just use latest on Git)
  • Do NOT generate a texture atlas. Just use it as is. (this might actually also be a good choice for generating sceneries the old way, because the included textures are probably the best choice right now).

(And sorry: sceneries generated for 2017.2 will not be compatible with 2017.3, because the code / architecture was not finalized before the 2017.2 release candidate was generated).
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby paju1986 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Ok, I will regenerate Spain and Portugal this weekend for 2017.2, then the weekend after that will do California.
paju1986

Postby naplesAPF » Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Don't know if this is the place to post this question, but am trying to use TerraGit scenery w090n20 for Florida and when I try to start FG at KTTS airport FG crashes.
Must be something wrong with the scenery at KTTS? can't startup at KTTS, when starting to load scenery FG crashes, also when trying to fly over KTTS FG crashes.
Only other thing I found is that when I took all the city files (I guess they are osm2city files??) out of the 090n20 > w081n28 folder, then the terragit scenery works at KTTS.

I know nothing about this so if someone would check this am sure ppl like me would be greatful.
naplesAPF

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:44 pm

naplesAPF wrote in Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 pm:Don't know if this is the place to post this question, but am trying to use TerraGit scenery w090n20 for Florida and when I try to start FG at KTTS airport FG crashes.

it is not... you should seek terragit support over at the terragit hosts' site... they are a 3rd party and ""we"" don't know what they are doing over there with what they offer...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:20 pm

If all went well, you should now see snow on the building roofs when the snowline is low enough (at least I do...).

(Of course only with scenery versions which use effects from FGData).
Thorsten

Postby vanosten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Thorsten

Thank you very much. The roads are also covered.

So currently you have to run a git-version, use a scenery from http://wiki.flightgear.org/Areas_populated_with_osm2city_scenery with "2017.2" in the "Min FG version" column (or build your own). Then you would get e.g.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 pm

@vanosten: the image isn't working... i have to quote your post to copy the URL and paste it in another browser window...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:46 am

I've just pushed a change that dependent on view angle to the car you should see tail lights. Also, part of the road illumination is now determined by the amount of traffic on the road, roads will be more brightly lit if there's plenty of cars on them.

Please double-check that this plays nice with the dual-lane roads and generally gives a good impression (the traffic model is now rather sophisticated with daily peaks during rush hours, so dependent on whether the rush hour happens in darkness or you see roads at midnight, the visuals should be quite different).
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:43 am

For those of you that haven't had the chance to see the osm2city traffic shader in action. Here are a couple sample videos of the Boston area. The resolution of the video is not the best, nor the composition, but gives you an idea of what to expect.

FlightGear osm2city traffic shader KBOS.

A little closer.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby vanosten » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:39 am

I have pushed an update to roads.py, which improves 2 areas:
  • Lit vs. non-lit is now finer grained based on land-use (where land-use is simulated based on buildings if missing - which is the case in a lot of areas)
  • Better handling of street intersections. There have been quite some topology issues, which got more visible with Thorsten's traffic shader stuff.

If you are interested, then the tile around LSME (around Luzern in Switzerland) is available for download: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ3N9GZMEv9lgggHffN2PuiybEuWVpxJV3k for FG 2017.2 (see also remarks in http://wiki.flightgear.org/Areas_populated_with_osm2city_scenery).

What is still missing is overlapping of street ends and z-fighting. However that is lower on my agenda than getting rid of repeatable textures on buildings (see devel-list 1 month ago).
vanosten

Postby slawekmikula » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:56 pm

@vanosten may I ask what are (rough) timelines for new features in osm2city ? Since FG 2017.2 release I was planning to regenerate Eastern Europe area with new features, but it cost some time/computing power and would like to do it in timely manner eg. when some part of Your/others work is done and pushed to main repo. Thanks.
slawekmikula

Postby vanosten » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 pm

slawekmikula wrote in Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:56 pm:@vanosten may I ask what are (rough) timelines for new features in osm2city ?

I do not know. Apart from a family I have a rather demanding day job - and sometimes I actually just fly in FlightGear. Ergo: development time is limited.

Until summer and most probably 2017.3 I will only do improvements on the code in order to prepare for supporting larger texture maps and independent models plus integrating OWBB. I hope that I can meet with some of the core developers at FSWeekend in autumn to discuss the next integration steps.

IMHO integration was a bit rushed the last 2 releases and now there are compatibility issues - however e-mail conversations on the devel-list tend to frustrate me. So unfortunately I cannot tell for how long these compatibility issues will exist - nor when embedding osm2city into Terrasync will be done for real.
vanosten

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery