Board index FlightGear Development Documentation

new developer

Discussion of the FlightGear documentation, how it can be improved and coordination of people working on it.

new developer

Postby gholamifarshad98 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi .
I'm new in FlightGear. I would like to improve this software and simulate another thing like ships in it.
but I don't know how should start. because the source is very big. how can I add dynamic of ships in it?
Are there any document to help me to understand the things I have to know?
Are there any Uml file for this software?
gholamifarshad98

Re: new developer

Postby AndersG » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:33 pm

There is already a very basic ship FDM (physics model) builtin for the AI ships (aircraft carriers etc).

A part from that, it is already somewhat possible to simulate boats and ships using the JSBSim FDM, which primarily targets aeroplanes and rockets but also supports helicopters, airships and balloons (and to some extent ground vehicles).
I have a few ships and boats on my GiHub account. See also these wiki pages: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Modelling_hydrodynamics_in_JSBSim and http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:All_seacraft.

Making a better (more accurate) ship specific FDM engine would be a rather large and complicated task.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Re: new developer

Postby Johan G » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:06 pm

gholamifarshad98 wrote in Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:49 pm:Hi

Hi and Welcome! :D

gholamifarshad98 wrote in Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:49 pm:I would like to improve this software and simulate another thing like ships in it.
but I don't know how should start. because the source is very big. how can I add dynamic of ships in it?

It is fully possible, and without any need to alter the sources for the executable in itself.

As Anders said above there is already there is already a few ships/boats for FlightGear.

As you may or may not be aware FlightGear uses mainly two "flight dynamics models" which models the behavior of an aircraft, YASim and JSBSim. YASim really is better for aircraft than anything else, but JSBSim can be adopted for pretty much anything that data is either available for or can be calculated for one way or another, like Anders' ships.

gholamifarshad98 wrote in Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:08 pm:Are there any document to help me to understand the things I have to know?
Are there any Uml file for this software?

Most things you will need can be found in the "data/Docs" directory in your FlightGear installation (or on SourceForge), on the aircraft developer portal on the FlightGear wiki and in the JSBSim Reference Manual. There is also a doxygen based documentation that can be of help where the JSBSim manual is a bit weak.

The docs are a bit incomplete, the wiki is a bit unstructured and the JSBSim manual is a bit out of date, :wink: but I am sure they will be of help non the less. :)

All that said, the biggest insights often come from looking into already existing ships and comparing them with the documentation. I strongly suspect that like aircraft it will be much easier to wrap ones head around the documentation if there is some working examples from which one can draw conclusions on how to modify and later make new stuff based upon.

Keep in mind that you will go through a lot of trial and error while trying to achieve what you want. If you hit a brick wall, give it some time and get back to it a bit later. Usually it is not how fast you are but how far you get that gives the most satisfaction. :wink:

Best of luck!
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Documentation