Board index FlightGear Support Flying

I am new, i know nothing. Any help is appreciated!

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

I am new, i know nothing. Any help is appreciated!

Postby jestepp65 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:53 am

Hi,

I have had flightgear installed for a month now and i have got on it maybe 4-5 times. I finally got the Boeing 787-8 in the air but i need a big help. I am not really interested in learning to fly it all myself at the moment. I want to get it in the air and i want to set a location.

Departure - Myrtle Beach INTL
Arrival - Huntington Municipal

How do i make the auto pilot in the latest version do the flying after in air by itself until its time to land. Can someone point me towards a video, show pictures or whatever you can do to possibly help me get auto pilot on the 787-8

Regards,
Jarrod

I appreciate anything!
jestepp65

Callsign: UA-1056
Version: 2017.2.1

Re: I am new, i know nothing. Any help is appreciated!

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:30 am

Hi, and welcome to FlightGear!

The autopilot should engage when pushing the AP button. I've never tried FG's 787, but the real one works like that.

Heading, Speed and Altitude will then be followed. Use FLCH for climbing and descending to a new altitude.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby jestepp65 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:32 am

Whats FLCH and where do i enter heading speed and altitude at in the autopilot settings. I seen a video said i need to use route manager how do i work that as well. I added my destination in that route manager but you can figure that i am new lol i don't understand it all just yet. Hopefully soon enough tho!

Best Regards,
Jarrod Estepp
Best Regards,
UA-1056 (Find me in the skies!)
jestepp65

Postby jestepp65 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:37 am

Hi,

I just installed and opened a few other planes and each ones auto pilots settings are different. Could be why im having so much trouble finding a youtube video to match my auto pilot settings. Can someone install the 787-8 and help?

Regards,
Jarrod
Best Regards,
jestepp65

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:59 am

I just installed and opened a few other planes and each ones auto pilots settings are different.

That's how things are in reality. Airplanes don't have standardized controls, it's a fact of life. You have to learn each one separately (though there's usually some similarity).
Thorsten

Postby jestepp65 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:19 am

Any help on actually how to do the autopilot? i clicked the button to turn it on but the thing at the bottom still says AP - OFF
Best Regards,
jestepp65

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am

I'll give my (There are different alternatives) answers below to some of your questions: I fly the 777-*** variants all the time so not much difference to 787
Flightplans, I use http://onlineflightplanner.org/ for my flightplanning, enter all the info' untick the ".pin and .pdf" settings and tick .fgfp setting then "create plan" save this plan to a file on your desktop named say flightgear flightplans. When you want to use this click on the "autopilot" tab, Open the "route manager" tab, in the route manager box click on the "load" button and then find the file on your desktop click on it. It will then load the list of plans within the file click on the one you wast to use, it will bring up the plan in the route manager box. Use the RWY box to state your departure RWY, click on SID box to set "default" SID. Click on the RWY box at your destination airport enter the RWY you intend to use and set "default" approach in the box. all done Click on the "activate" box now this route is set into the autopilot. You can set in altitudes of climb within the waypoints if you want, but I won't go into that now. If using a ILS approach don't forget to set your radio (F12) to the correct settings for the radial and frequency or your plane will not pick up the ILS!!! When you start at your departure airport click on the LNAV button to turn it on, your plane will now follow the flightplan when you click the autopilot button after you have taken off. ( The autopilot WILL not work until you are in the air above 400ft) Don't forget also to enable your auto throttles once above 400ft click the AT button and the autopilot will follow speed set in the route manager box.
Be patient though it took me six months to learn the 777 (and I'm still learning today) I have over 1800 hours flying the 777. Hope this answers the question about flightplans?
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby sp-lcz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:13 am

i clicked the button to turn it on but the thing at the bottom still says AP - OFF

jestepp65, try Clive2670’s suggestion. If your A/P still doesn’t work (it means when you push A/P button without any effect) give me an information. Probably you could have a 787-8 version with bugs. I had three different versions on the same 787-8 with A/P problems. My colleague gave me working version and now everything is perfect (include LNAV, VNAV and so on). I will share with you.

Best,
Lukasz
sp-lcz

Callsign: SP-LCZ
Version: 17.3.1

Postby jestepp65 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:55 am

Clive2670 wrote in Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am:I'll give my (There are different alternatives) answers below to some of your questions: I fly the 777-*** variants all the time so not much difference to 787
Flightplans, I use http://onlineflightplanner.org/ for my flightplanning, enter all the info' untick the ".pin and .pdf" settings and tick .fgfp setting then "create plan" save this plan to a file on your desktop named say flightgear flightplans. When you want to use this click on the "autopilot" tab, Open the "route manager" tab, in the route manager box click on the "load" button and then find the file on your desktop click on it. It will then load the list of plans within the file click on the one you wast to use, it will bring up the plan in the route manager box. Use the RWY box to state your departure RWY, click on SID box to set "default" SID. Click on the RWY box at your destination airport enter the RWY you intend to use and set "default" approach in the box. all done Click on the "activate" box now this route is set into the autopilot. You can set in altitudes of climb within the waypoints if you want, but I won't go into that now. If using a ILS approach don't forget to set your radio (F12) to the correct settings for the radial and frequency or your plane will not pick up the ILS!!! When you start at your departure airport click on the LNAV button to turn it on, your plane will now follow the flightplan when you click the autopilot button after you have taken off. ( The autopilot WILL not work until you are in the air above 400ft) Don't forget also to enable your auto throttles once above 400ft click the AT button and the autopilot will follow speed set in the route manager box.
Be patient though it took me six months to learn the 777 (and I'm still learning today) I have over 1800 hours flying the 777. Hope this answers the question about flightplans?

This Worked perfectly! Thanks for the website it will help in the future. Do you know how to fly the concorde. I wanna fly it to france.
Best Regards,
jestepp65

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Check the wiki article.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby V12 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Fly with Concorde is not very easy. For short subsonic flights is relative pilot friendly, but when You want fly supersonic, You will need use fuel transfer for properly trim. Check manual at http://wiki.flightgear.org/Concorde for more information. Default version from FGADDONS has some bugs, try manual download from https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/Concorde-1. This version has better cockpit and some bug fixes and other improvements.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby sp-lcz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Another interesting website for planning flights: https://flightplandatabase.com/planner with possibility to generate route file for Flightgear.

Advantages relative to onlineflightplanner:
- Flight level for every waypoint (for example: your 787-8 will be climbing and descending automatically)
- Possibility to decode METAR – good for beginners
- Never happened to me generate route with the mistakes (onlineflightplanner from time to time adds some wrong waypoints)

Minuses:
- No information about the amount of fuel needed (but you can use: http://fuelplanner.com/)

Lukasz
sp-lcz

Callsign: SP-LCZ
Version: 17.3.1

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes I concur with Lukasz, just tried that planning site and yes it looks much more comprehensive, But I'm yet to use a route that I've planned there so the Jury is still out in my case until I implement one of the plans
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby jestepp65 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:09 am

How do i use the radio frequency?
Best Regards,
jestepp65

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:47 am

Default version from FGADDONS has some bugs, try manual download from https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/Concorde-1. This version has better cockpit and some bug fixes and other improvements.

Personally, I think it would be a much better for everyone to report bugs and try to get them fixed on the central repository rather than to start Concorde-1, Concorde-2 and so on every time someone discovers a bug or improves a texture.

Imagine we'd do the same with the main program - you'd have FG-1 with the Qt-launcher but no multiplayer, FG-2 with multiplayer but no ALS or weather system, FG-3 with Rembrandt support instead but bugs in the route manager,... I'm betting that would get everyone frustrated within a few weeks.
Thorsten

Next

Return to Flying