Board index FlightGear Development New features

Suggestion: An app for Google Cardboard that mirrors FG

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Suggestion: An app for Google Cardboard that mirrors FG

Postby nulln » Thu May 04, 2017 7:19 am

My suggestion is simple: An app to mirror FlightGear so it can be viewed in a vr headset like Google Cardboard. It'll probably lag too much, but maybe there's some way to overcome that (i.e compression of frames sent to phone? a protocol similar to vnc, but faster?).

One thing I suggest is running a small instance of FG on the phone, but it does something like this?
nulln

Callsign: N323DD
Version: 2017.1.3

Re: Suggestion: An app for Google Cardboard that mirrors FG

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I was thinking about that a year ago! In fact, I attempted to implement the headtracking part in HTML (Sorry, that's the language I know most!), But it's a bit too laggish... Not to mention the images....
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby ludomotico » Thu May 04, 2017 2:10 pm

This suggestion is more or less the same than this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22640

Keep in mind the split screen is already implemented: Menu->3D options->split screen.

The part that is not yet implemented is adding a barrel distortion to each camera. I'm not familiar with Google Cardboard, but the Oculus needs at least a barrel distortion in each one of the cameras like this:

(Actually, the oculus needs a slightly different barrel distortion for each one of the RGB channels)

Vik has already implemented distortion to one camera (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31058), and I'm quite sure the same idea can be used for Oculus/Google cardboard.

The headtracking part can be implemented using ideas similar to any other headtracking device: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Head_tracking. Actually, I implemented headtracking with the Oculus in less than 15min years ago. My implementation does not work with the current generation of VR devices, but the idea is the same.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby nulln » Thu May 04, 2017 3:06 pm

On a seperate yet somewhat related note, you could also use Playstation Move hand things + vr headset or just the HTC Vive to use the controls for the aircraft (throttle, yoke, mixture, anything that can be used with hands) and allocate some buttons on those hand controllers to rudder pedals. I'd do this myself, but I can't do that level of code, and I don't have any of the things I just mentioned.

I'm just tossing around ideas :p
nulln

Callsign: N323DD
Version: 2017.1.3

Postby Tarbell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:27 pm

nulln wrote in Thu May 04, 2017 3:06 pm:On a seperate yet somewhat related note, you could also use Noocube or just the HTC Vive to use the controls for the aircraft (throttle, yoke, mixture, anything that can be used with hands) and allocate some buttons on those hand controllers to rudder pedals. I'd do this myself, but I can't do that level of code, and I don't have any of the things I just mentioned.

I'm just tossing around ideas :p

That sounds like a good idea. I think it's a bit too much for me, has anyone else tried coding something like this?
Last edited by Tarbell on Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tarbell

Postby aTazul » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:31 am

The idea of the century.
-aTazul
aTazul

Callsign: BAW95, AAL1337
Version: 2018.2

Postby pb321 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:09 pm

You might try Trinus VR for Android. It does what you've described. Trinus VR Lite allows you to try it free for 15 mins at a time before you have to re-establish the connection with Trinus VR Server, (for PC) which is a free download without limitations. You can purchase Trinus VR for Android for unlimited connection time for $10. I've experienced no noticeable lag. It provides a nice 3d view with FG set to horizontal split stereoscopic view and also does head tracking using the gyroscope in the phone. You can configure keyboard buttons to toggle tracking and other features and it offers various settings to tailor the setup to your requirements. https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/
I am in no way associated with the Trinus VR. I"m stricktly a user.
Last edited by pb321 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 pm

I acquired access to the latest VIBE. Getting FG working on it is on my agenda just as soon as I finish climbing Mt. Everest. :mrgreen:
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Return to New features