Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Real life traffic in FlightGear

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Re: Real life traffic in FlightGear

Postby alex1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks for the good advice Hooray.
I'm still using perl as the Nasal built in support seems to require a server producing a property tree branch, seems like an extra formatting step.
alex1

Callsign: alex1
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby usaaib » Thu May 04, 2017 8:45 am

Hi Alex1,

Did you complet the integration?
Can you share the code?

Regards,
usaaib

Postby alex1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Back in April I meant that the extra step would be inefficient so I've no plans to integrate code
alex1

Callsign: alex1
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Actually, we do have many related pieces available already, the most recent examples being the "Ground Services" and "Road Traffic" modules (both Nasal based):

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Ground_Services

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Road_Traffic

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Traffic_Shader

As usual, our main challenge here is the usual lack of coordination/integration and collaboration among people working on related features without realizing that they're re-inventing the wheel by not teaming up with others.

Given what we have right now in the form of various Nasal scripts/modules and addons, it would not take much time to come up with a proof-of-concept that integrates a handful of existing features to join forces with others, especially those doing heavily related stuff (think OSM).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:17 pm

How you get road traffic on a 3d object like Golden Gate? Interesting to add it to some other "hand-made" bridges around the world.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:19 pm

As far as I remember, Marius_A is currently using a custom list of waypoints that he obtained by "flying" the desired route with the ufo and applying a corresponding terrain/altitude offset.

So it does not exactly "scale" right now - but could be easily augmented via data from other efforts, e.g. OSM - as long as we have vector data of road networks, we could try to reproduce such vector data inside in fgfs and use that to drive the corresponding back-end logic and animate moving traffic

Another possibility would be using a moving-map style display in conjunction with some road networks and the route manager to create such traffic procedurally.
For instance, the way Stuart has been structuring the FG1000 moving-map device, it would be relatively straighforward to hook up the same device to a different (non-aircraft) back-end, which includes boats/vessels, cars and other vehicles:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FG1000
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Avionyx » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:02 pm

Did anyone ever progress with this?

With projects like FSLTL ( https://fslivetrafficliveries.com Which I believe is Open Source) IT seems like a good time to resurrect such a thing for FG.

I'd be happy to help if we could get a team together to work on it.
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:43 pm

perhaps it would be best to wait for the AI Traffic rework to be completed? that code is what would be used to move these craft just like it is used to move MP craft...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Avionyx » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:38 pm

That sounds like a good idea. Are you talking about this project? viewtopic.php?p=298593#p298593
Apologies if it's the wrong one, I couldn't see anything more relevant in the AI Traffic forum.

Be more than happy to try and contribute to an AI Project if help was required.

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:52 pm

no... not that one... i'm speaking of the work being done to the existing AI Traffic system... the original one that durk (from that topic) wrote... that topic is durk talking about a complete rewrite from the ground up instead of fixing/updating the current code...

the current maintainer of TerraMaster is the one doing the current work... the code is a deep dark maze of tunnels but he is slowly bring in the light and updating the code to work better and eliminate many bugs... the available code is better now but still has some glitches and RL seems to be rearing its ugly head a bit...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Interfacing