Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Crash at KSEA and broken ground nets

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Crash at KSEA and broken ground nets

Postby yanfiz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:58 am

Split off from the topic Flightgear 2017.1.3 Released.

KSEA at dawn always crashes since 2017.1.1.
Last edited by Johan G on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split off from the topic "Flightgear 2017.1.3 Released".
yanfiz

Re: Flightgear 2017.1.3 Released

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:48 am

@yanfiz:
1. where are you starting? runway or parking?
2. what craft are you using?
3. multiplayer or not?
4. terrasync on or off?
5. detailed weather or basic weather?
6. AI enabled or not?

i'm asking the above because i'm looking for more details... i can confirm that it crashed for me (SIGSEV) with DAWN set... as i run with the latest dev code and in full debug mode, i can say that it appears to be a problem with the groundnet and possibly also related to certain specific AI flights that are created at DAWN that do not appear at other times of the day... maybe they do but the DAWN ones trigger the flaw much faster... if i turn off AI, KSEA at DAWN loads fine...

i've made a report on the dev list concerning this... i have several full debug logs for analysis that have been made available to the devs... i'm not sure if it is just a flaw in the TerraSync/Airports/K/S/E/KSEA.groundnet.xml file or not but there are quite a few errors reported with it in my logs... there may be something else that also contributes to the SIGSEV...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby gooneybird » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:51 am

This is why I'm against dumping thousands of untested ground networks into terrasync, It's not the only one with problems either!

ImageKSEA-1 by gooneybird47, on Flickr
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby yanfiz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:48 am:@yanfiz:
1. where are you starting? runway or parking?
2. what craft are you using?
3. multiplayer or not?
4. terrasync on or off?
5. detailed weather or basic weather?
6. AI enabled or not?

1. I'm starting in automatic runway. It is 16L.
2. I'm using Boeing 777-300ER from http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft.
3. Multiplayer is off.
4. Terrasync is off. I had downloaded all screnery from http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/~fgscene ... 2.0.1.html.
5. Whether is detailed.
6. AI is enabled.

When I tried to see runway number by selecting noon, I noticed it crashed in noon, too. But, not at once, about one minute later.
yanfiz

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:02 pm

yanfiz wrote in Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 pm:1. I'm starting in automatic runway. It is 16L.
2. I'm using Boeing 777-300ER from http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft.
3. Multiplayer is off.
4. Terrasync is off. I had downloaded all screnery from http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/~fgscene ... 2.0.1.html.
5. Whether is detailed.
6. AI is enabled.

When I tried to see runway number by selecting noon, I noticed it crashed in noon, too. But, not at once, about one minute later.

thank you... it confirms my findings based on your report... i later tested with CURRENT time and left the sim to run... while i was in the other room, i heard the sim talking and came in to check on it... it was the AIATC... but as i watched, two craft were driving in circles near one of the terminals... they finally straightened out folowing one another back to another terminal area... then one seemed to drop out of sight and the other kept going... i had the map up with traffic selected and was also watching that... i saw the other craft stop in the middle of nowhere but the map showed the speed line as if it were still moving... when i tabbed over to the console screen, there was the SIGSEV...

as noted by gooneybird, it is definitely a bad groundnet.xml file... since it is carried by terrasync, keeping terrasync turned off and removing the KSEA.groundnet.xml file will fix it at the loss of the groundnet... it will come right back when the scenery is updated, though... unless someone like gooneybird can fix it and get the new one submitted to terrasync...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 pm

gooneybird wrote in Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:51 am:This is why I'm against dumping thousands of untested ground networks into terrasync, It's not the only one with problems either!

thanks GB for confirming that it is a bad groundnet... the sim basically confirmed it in the debug log and you loading it in WED proves it even more... now if we can get FG to not crash when it runs into these, that would be a good thing... it would be good to still have the processing diags of the groundnet but just maybe throw them away if the net is broken...

i've really gotta find some time to try to get WED set up on my linux workstation so i can look at these and maybe start offering some fixes and working on some new ones... that's a topic for another area, though...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby yanfiz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Thank you very much. Good luck 8)
yanfiz

Postby gooneybird » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:48 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 pm: i've really gotta find some time to try to get WED set up on my linux workstation so i can look at these and maybe start offering some fixes and working on some new ones... that's a topic for another area, though...

WED will not help with existing groundnets you need Taxidraw to view/edit them.

A new groundnet can be created in WED and converted to FG format but will still need to be cleaned up and verified in Taxidraw before it will work as intended in FG.

As an experiment I just checked 25 random groundnets in terrasync and everyone of them had errors!
gooneybird

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 am

thanks gooney... we probably should move this over to one of the other subs but i don't have a clue which one...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby rominet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi,

The root problem is the bugginess of the groundnet file, however FG 2017.2.0 shouldn't crash anymore in this case (see this message for details; the fix is in commit eefa9a75f973).

Edit : fix a typo (and remove bold...)
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Re: Crash at KSEA and broken ground nets

Postby gooneybird » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 pm

For those who want it here's a simpler version of KSEA groundnet, I've kept most of the parking positions for now, stripped out all the nodes and taxi routes and added a new taxi network.
It is not complete, no push back or hold points and the parking positions are from the original X-plane file that don't work to well in FG but it will give you active traffic now at KSEA.
I will revisit it when some more of the bugs are ironed out of the groundnetwork system.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x8xx84ef4l46jyx/KSEA.groundnet.xml
gooneybird

Return to Scenery