Board index FlightGear Development

Announcing FFGo: a new FlightGear launcher

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: Announcing FFGo: a new FlightGear launcher

Postby chris_blues » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Now that's a nice idea. If FG crashes, restart from the last situation. That in turn would mean, you need aircraft which support this. Starting up with engines running at a certain speed, autopilot on certain settings etc. I don't believe (m)any aircraft have this right now.

Which reminds me, I wanted to start looking into this state-thing James was talking about last year...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:17 pm

I don't believe (m)any aircraft have this right now.

It's quite a bit of work to do

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... l/save.nas
Thorsten

Postby sp-lcz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:44 pm

It is a great feature! If only it is possible to add this to the "product backlog" I am waiting impatiently.
sp-lcz

Callsign: SP-LCZ
Version: 17.3.1

Postby rominet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Sorry, I had missed the latest batch of messages. I've uploaded (before reading this) FFGo 1.12.5. The only change is a fix in the German translation. Since the problem was confusing, I didn't want to let it rot for ages before being released (thanks chris_blues).

Regarding the most recent discussion (restart at FG's last position): this needs FlightGear support. If people want this to work to resume from FG crashes, FG would probably need to record the aircraft position every 15 seconds or so (we don't want to slow down the sim just for this!)... which can be done with the generic protocol and stuff like that. I'm not sure this could be done in a more "economical" may (get the position only once, at exit or inside the crash handler). Erik probably knows.

Given such support, restoring --lat and --lon should not be a big problem, but you could easily find yourself in water or on very bumpy or slippery terrain -> probably not helpful at all in many cases. Restoring --altitude would work on some aircraft, but many can't be started in air...

So, while nice in principle, there are a few problems for implementing this.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby chris_blues » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 pm

rominet wrote in Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm:Regarding the most recent discussion (restart at FG's last position): this needs FlightGear support. If people want this to work to resume from FG crashes, FG would probably need to record the aircraft position every 15 seconds or so (we don't want to slow down the sim just for this!)... which can be done with the generic protocol and stuff like that. I'm not sure this could be done in a more "economical" may (get the position only once, at exit or inside the crash handler). Erik probably knows.

Given such support, restoring --lat and --lon should not be a big problem, but you could easily find yourself in water or on very bumpy or slippery terrain -> probably not helpful at all in many cases. Restoring --altitude would work on some aircraft, but many can't be started in air...

So, while nice in principle, there are a few problems for implementing this.

Yes, that should be done FG-side. And there is something coming up in the near future, though it's more aircraft-side than FG-side: "state overlay". The Citation already has this. By adding
Code: Select all
--state=cruise --altitude=whatever --lat=coords --lon=coords
to your command line (or FFGo for that matter) you can start anywhere you want, in air, all systems up.

It'll take a while though, till more aircraft support this feature. But that pretty much comes very close. Now If there was some way to record the coords in flight, you'll be ready to go. (This might be a short Nasal script, which puts all needed data (altitude, lon, lat) into some file.)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby rominet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:32 pm

For those using my Debian FFGo repository, I've updated the OpenPGP key to extend the expiration date (the previous expiration date was on October 24, 2017). The same procedure as last year should allow you to get the updated key and install it for apt.

By the way, if you have gpg configured for your account and my key with the old expiration date in your gpg keyring, then getting the new key is even simpler:
gpg --refresh-keys
gpg --export 125B5A0FDB788FDD0EF41A9DC785B90B5053A3A2 >output_file_for_key

Then you can run the following as root:
apt-key add output_file_for_key

and you should be done.

Note: this is to get apt happy when using my repositories (there is no new version).
rominet

Postby chris_blues » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for the heads-up!
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby rominet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:03 pm

You're welcome. :)
rominet

Postby chris_blues » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 pm

:)

BTW, are there any news on FFGo? Some new features? Something to translate? Haven't pulled since ages...
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby rominet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 pm

There are no news since version 1.12.5, sorry...
rominet

Postby chris_blues » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:15 pm

No problem! I see you're rather busy on the mailing-list... :)

Q'Pla!
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby PlayeRom » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:36 am

First impressions of use:

1. Airport finder, including water runways and helipads - a revelation! Finally, I can find out where the water runway or the helipads are.
  2. Ability to create conditions in the Command Line Options Window - a revelation!

Suggestions for improvements:

1. Add ability to copy selected text from the Command Window. The problem is that if I need to enter the name or path of the plane in the conditions, I cannot copy it from anywhere. if I would choose some aircraft and be able to copy the values ​​from the Command Window, it would be much more convenient.
  2. In the Command Line Options Window, if I select text and use Ctrl+V, the selected text will not be overwritten by the pasted one. This is confusing behavior compared with other graphical text editors.
  3. Values ​​of `True` and `False` must be capitalized in the Command Line Options Window, which is inconvenient. Support for `true` and `false` would be appreciated.
  4. Eg I want to enable the addon "hoppie-acars" only for Embraer E-Jet Family aircraft. So I'm making the variable `isAircraftEmbraer = aircraft in [" Embraer170 "," Embraer177 "," Embraer190 "," Embraer195 "," EmbraerLineage1000 "]`. The problem is that I have to list all variants of the plane, and when a new one arrives, I have to keep this list up to date. An additional solution could be wildcard support, something like `isAircraftEmbraer = aircraft == "Embraer*"` or `isAircraftEmbraer = aircraft in ["Embraer%"]`.
  5. We have options that start with `--enable -...` and `--disable -...`, such as `--enable-terrasync` and `--disable-terrasync`. Now, when I select the "Automatic scenery download" option in the GUI and in the options under some condition I will add `--disable-terrasync`, the Command Window will display both options. From experience I can see that the behavior will be correct, i.e. my option entered in the Comman Line Options Windows will work, and not the one selected from the GUI, but in my opinion it unnecessarily clutters the Command Window, and it could only display the last option there, in my case `--disable -terrasync`. I think the program could recognize this automatically (I think there is no contraindication), or possibly similar to `MERGED_OPTIONS`, something like `MERGED_FLAGS = ["-terrasync"] `?.
  6. When I work in the Command Line Options Window for a long time, I get into the habit of making a save so as not to lose my job. There is only "Save & Quit" which requires a reboot. I know that I can work on the "~/.ffgo/config" file directly in any editor, but editing in FFGo does not require juggling windows, so "Save" alone would be useful too :)
  7. It would be nice to improve the search for airports by ICAO with the addition of a wildcards. E.g. for the task "find all airports in France", so starting with `LF`, you could then type in the search field `LF??` or `LF*` or `LF%` or something similar.
My SP-ROM YT channel
PlayeRom

Callsign: SP-ROM

Postby TheEagle » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:00 am

Posting on a thread that wasn't active since 5 years ? I don't know …

Anyways, you CAN find helipads in fgfs --launcher ! :wink: I don't know about water runways, but probably too.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none

Postby PlayeRom » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:26 am

Yes, you can find in default launcher if you know what you want to find by name/code or you can list all of theme by type [h] or [s] but it doesn't solve the case of "show me the water runways in Hawaii" or any other place in the world where you want to be on the water or helipad. Unless I don't know about something :)
My SP-ROM YT channel
PlayeRom

Callsign: SP-ROM

Postby rominet » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi PlayeRom,

Glad to hear you like FFGo! Due to RL difficulties, I'm afraid I won't be very responsive on this, be warned. I should make a new release for your Polish translation update and maybe small stuff too from your suggestions (like item 6), but don't expect much more in the mid term. Quickly addressing your points:
  1. Tk is not my favourite GUI toolkit, however I can copy from the Command Window by simply selecting text and doing Ctrl-y in Emacs in order to paste. OTOH, in order to paste in XTerm, I first need to do Ctrl-c in FFGo after selecting, then either Ctrl-insert or middle click in XTerm. Go figure. Yeah, primary or secondary selection, blah blah... IMHO, Copy & Paste looks like the biggest failure for “Linux on the desktop”; it has always been a mess, for at least 20 years.
  2. Unpleasant behavior indeed, certainly not intentional. Most likely comes from the Tk widget used there. My suggestion, when doing serious work on the config : edit ~/.ffgo/config in your favorite text editor, then do Ctrl-r in FFGo to reload it (of course, if you have a non-hacky way to fix this behavior, patch welcome).
  3. Mmmm, that one was intentional: True and False as in Python.
  4. That is correct. I think fixing this would require extending the syntax supported by CondConfigParser with some kind of string matching operator. Regexps come to mind of course, and this would avoid the need to add an operator that works with a list of strings to address your examples—with the risk of having to write slightly hard-to-read regexps, though.
  5. Yes, this sounds sensible, assuming all such flags obey the “last occurrence wins” policy. I didn't expect this would be needed, but I suppose you have valid use cases. :)
  6. “Save” should be very easy to add. Otherwise, you can hit Ctrl-f—IIRC, this will save the config before starting FG. :)
  7. I believe I'd like to keep the algorithm as is by default (I don't remember the details anymore, but I think it provides good user experience in typical cases). What you propose could be made active when some to-be-added checkbox would be checked. Or maybe several, so that you can decide whether to match on the ICAO, the name (with match anchored at ends or not), or both.
rominet

PreviousNext

Return to Development