Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Deferred rendering pipeline Geode effect

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Deferred rendering pipeline Geode effect

Postby loopbackrnd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 am

Hello. i have some questions:

1) i added another a geometry to the deferred rendering pipeline's Geode object. the geometry doesn't contain texture coordinates but i added color data to it to have a black geometry in the final screen.
the problem is when i rotate the camera the geometry's color gets changed. i don't want that. i guess FG performs some pixel shader or lighting on my geometry. how can i disable that? actually i want a complete black geometry.

2) how can i change FlightGear's background color?

Thank you.
loopbackrnd

Re: Deferred rendering pipeline Geode effect

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 am

The idea to have geometry with no lighting is somewhat alien to the idea of having a deferred pipeline I guess - the whole point is that after the geometry pass all geometry ended in the gbuffer and the lighting is then run over the whole gbuffer content - so to not have this processing stage, your geometry should probably never enter the gbuffer (like it's done for transparent objects).
Thorsten

Postby loopbackrnd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:38 am

so how can i do that?
can you tell me where is FlightGear's rendering loop?
loopbackrnd

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't think anyone can give you specific tips for modifying FG rendering off-hand. It's generally one of the most complicated parts of the code and several people who wrote it originally are no longer active in development.

I've touched the code a few times, generally I take at least a few hours reading through it to get an idea where I want to insert a change, and it helps a lot to have a good deal of familiarity with the general rendering context.

Translation - I fear you're largely on your own with specific changes like this.
Thorsten

Return to Effects and shaders