Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Flightgear won't open

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Flightgear won't open

Postby Fpilot34 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Flightgear will not open when I click it with my mouse. When I would click on the flightgear it just load with this blue circle then the blue circle would stop loading. I have no trouble installing the flight simulator but I can't open the simulator. So as a result what should I do in order to open flightgear on my computer.

Os-Windows 10
Flightgear version 2016.4.4
Graphics card-Intel (R) HD Graphics
Fpilot34

Re: Flightgear won't open

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Try opening the run command either by right clicking the windows logo and left clicking the run command or by using windows button and R button together on your keyboard. when open type in %appdata% then return, left click the flightgear.org file, when it opens delete the navdata file that is for 2016.4.4. then try again, it should start with a box installing navdata then run ok. If not uninstall flightgear, then type in the run box the above BUT, COMPLETELY delete the whole flightgear.org folder, close and go to your documents folder on your PC, delete any folder that has flightgear name. REBOOT your PC, then reinstall 2016.4.4. ( I always have a folder on my desktop where I keep the downloaded instalation file just in case I need to reinstall flightgear, this saves having to download it again) If it still won't run the chances are that it is a faulty download, I tend to leave my PC alone when downloading such a large file as any slowing in the download could result in "missing files" Also don't forget when installing to adhere to the advice of turning off any anti virus program you have whilst it installs, Word of advice: DISABLE any wifi, or disconnect your ethernet cable, this will stop any virus downloading and installing while you are installing F/G hope this helps!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby bugman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Clive, the problem with the read-only navigation cache on Windows is simple, and has been identified and fixed by the FlightGear core developers. The fix is one of the following:

• Delete the stale fgfs.pid file in $FG_HOME that is making the home directory read-only.
  • Install FG 2017.1.2 which no longer uses a PID file for determining if two FlightGear instances are running (on MS Windows).
Regards,
Edward

Edit: To me this issue does not sound like the problem here.
bugman

Version: next

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Sorry Edward, A misunderstanding on my part
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670