Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

White square error

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

White square error

Postby RenanMsV » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:51 pm

My friend is having this error while simulating on FG
He is having this error in Flightgear 2.12 and 2016.1.1
But 2.4 works.

www.flightgearbrasil.com.br
www.fgbrazukas.wixsite.com/fgbrazukas
RenanMsV

Callsign: BR-RVD

Re: White square error

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:05 pm

see the pink box at the top of this area? we need the information it requests...

what is your friend doing to bring that box up?
have they tried 2016.4.4?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:14 am

I guess the first thing to understand is - is this box a window/dialog box that happens to be shown white for some reason, or is it an artifact in the framebuffer (i.e. there's nothing FG tries to put there).

Both are likely in some way related to the graphics driver, though the first is probably manageable by trying different GUI styles/rendering quality settings. If it's the second crossing fingers and updating graphics drivers is all I can think of.
Thorsten

Postby zakalawe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:48 am

The white square is the popup message / tooltip, shown via the Canvas. The texture or framebuffer used for the canvas isn't working. This seems to happen on some very old drivers.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:37 pm

The last comment is spot-on, we talked about this issue a (long) while ago - and what would really be interesting is if people seeing this could also try one of the aircraft using other OD_gauge based avionics (navdisplay, agradar, wxradar etc) - because under the hood, this should be using the same OSG code - if those instruments work/display properly, it is likely that this issue can be fixed once and for all by looking at what the Canvas FBO/RTT setup code is doing differently compared to od_gauge based avionics using the same back-end.

If I remember correctly, we also once posted patches telling OSG to use a non-FBO fallback - unfortunately nobody seeing this issue was able to follow up to test this.

If in doubt, anybody seeing this, PLEASE post a screenshot showing your help/about dialog (and ideally your fgfs.log file):

http://wiki.flightgear.org/About_dialog
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Commonly_use ... s#fgfs.log

PS: Likewise, this should affect any other FBO use-cases in FlightGear, including multi-camera setups (think Rembrandt)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Graphics