Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

transsonic cone with ALS

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

transsonic cone with ALS

Postby hardba11 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:10 am

Hello !

Did anybody ever try to create a transsonic cone with ALS ?
Does an als-specific shader exists ?
I created a bounding box (a Cone) an tested the shader "thrust-flame" in it ... no comment ;)

Thanks for your answers :)

Nico
contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models - WIP: new aircraft - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Callsign: F-HRDB
Version: 2018.3.2

Re: transsonic cone with ALS

Postby Thorsten » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:09 pm

We do not have a special-purpose shader for that one (or add a parameter to make the flame shader do it, it's mainly in the spread dynamics I think) - commonly I see this modeled via particles (though they're evil).

So I guess I'll take this as a feature request and add it to my to-do list.
Thorsten

Postby hardba11 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:23 pm

thanks for your answer Thorsten,

it was just a question so no urgency for the feature.
I will wait ;)

cheers

Nico

contribs: mirage2000-5, statics models - WIP: new aircraft - hobby: world tour in flightgear
hardba11

Postby wlbragg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:20 am

t was just a question so no urgency for the feature.
I will wait ;)

cheers

Nico

Referring to the picture, unfair, talk about incentive, ha! :lol:
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby yanes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 am

It's already modeled by FGUK members (not sure !) i their su-27 , su-37 ..., the su-27SK look in "Models/effects/boom/"
It doesn't refer to ALS, but looks pretty and it's ready for use .
And BTW, Thank you ,as mirage-2000 developer your work (and SHINOBI as well )was a great help for me .

Last edited by yanes on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
yanes

Callsign: YANES
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby PINTO » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:21 am

No offense to anyone, but that just doesn't look that good.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby yanes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:25 am

:D :D
May be not the best but it shows something that refer to reality ,
I think it needs just a bit of improvements
yanes

Callsign: YANES
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby Thorsten » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:36 am

think it needs just a bit of improvements

The thing with objects that don't have an 'edge' in reality (clouds, vapour, flames,...) is that you can model them as a mesh, but there'll always be an edge and there's no 'bit' of improvement you can do on them.

Getting diffuse edges in rendering is a moderately tricky task and you have to design your strategy to do it up-front.

There's several 'cones' modeled as 3d meshes for various aircraft (Vostok-1 also has one) - and sometimes there's particles for the task (which at least are blurry).

Also, if you look at movies of the real thing, it often has a very flickering quality to it.
Thorsten

Postby erik » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 am

The F-16 has something similar (but not the transonic cone yet) using the exhaust flame effect and it has the 'flickering quality':

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby hardba11 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:06 am

hello

wlbragg wrote in Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:20 am:Referring to the picture, unfair, talk about incentive, ha! :lol:

:lol: you're right wlbragg ! I hope Thorsten will find this picture more incentive than unfair ;)

yanes wrote in Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 am:It's already modeled by FGUK members (not sure !) i their su-27 , su-37 ..., the su-27SK look in "Models/effects/boom/" It doesn't refer to ALS, but looks pretty and it's ready for use .

thank you yanes, a .ac semi transparent is one of the solutions (the other are the particles but are no more recommended) but ALS will always give something very more beautiful :D

erik wrote in Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 am:The F-16 has something similar (but not the transonic cone yet) using the exhaust flame effect and it has the 'flickering quality'

It looks good. How did you manage to disable the luminosity of the flame effect ?

cheers
Nico
hardba11

Postby erik » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:27 am

The effect allows you to control almost any aspect of it. The hardest part was finding a suitable bounding box that doesn't intersect with the fuselage (although it inevitably does at the front).

See: Aircraft/f16/Models/Effects/strake-vortex.eff

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby hardba11 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am

thank a lot Erik
hardba11

Postby Thorsten » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:56 am

Erik, since you have some experience with this already - what would this need to render a decent cone? Is is just the expansion (the flame has a parabolic profile, whereas the cone is linear,...), would we need something more?

And is there anything that'd make the bounding box issue easier?

How did you manage to disable the luminosity of the flame effect ?

You feed a property instead of a value which changes with ambient light - it's mentioned in the Wik how to set this upi.
Thorsten

Postby erik » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:10 pm

One thing which might make the bounding box issue easier is to be able to set the top-down center position within the box: for example 0.5 originates at the center of the up-down axis which represents the current behavior.

0.0 or 1.0 would then position the center at the top (1.0) or at the bottom (0.0), creating an asymmetric effect. The left-right position and front-back position would remain the same. That would be really nice to have and could solve most of the intersection problems. But not for the transonic cone I'm afraid. For that it might me required to define an inner tube with a particular diameter which is unaffected by the effect.

Edit: By the way I wouldn't mind if the effect just gets clipped at he edge of the bounding box, I don't think it is necessary to create an asymmetric visual effect where one side is compressed and the other expanded.
erik

Postby erik » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I was thinking: if the cylinder is too difficult to implement it would be easy the simulate the same effect with two bounding boxes (one above and one below the aircraft) if the asymmetric part is implemented.

Erik
erik

Next

Return to Effects and shaders