Board index FlightGear Support

terrasync not working

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: terrasync not working

Postby curt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:18 pm

version 2013.3.1 is working just fine here on Fedora 24. Edit: 2016.3.1 :-)
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby chris_blues » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Curt, I hope you mean 2016.3.1 ??? :D

Did they ever succeed in changing the download_and_compile script, so it's distro-independent?
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby curt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:32 pm

Chris: If you are asking me, I've never tried to run that script. I just update the repositories (git pull and svn update) and then type make.
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby chris_blues » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:33 pm

I have no experience with Fedora. Could you describe, how you get to 2016.3.1?

On Debian, I simply run this script: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Com ... ian/Ubuntu
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby curt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:36 pm

Chris, I build it the same way I always do, fetch/update the repository (or download a source tarball), configure, and make. The process is pretty much the same as for any other open-source project in the last 30 years.
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby chris_blues » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:38 pm

How did you satisfy the build-dependencies?

This is mostly, what the script is for. On apt systems you can also do an
Code: Select all
apt-get build-dep flightgear
(or very similar - haven't done that in a while)

Edit:
To compile from source essentially means, you have to get the source files, and then build them to a binary program. The sources for FlightGear can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/flightgear/

You definitely need:
  • SimGear
  • FlightGear
  • FGData

You'll also need the -dev packages for:
  • OpenSceneGraph (at least version 3.2)
  • plib
Those you can get from your distro (Is it yum on Fedora?)

Then there are still some more dependencies, I hope to find out from Curt. (see post below)

After you have everything in place, you can open a terminal, enter SimGear source-directory and type
Code: Select all
cd /path/to/source-code
./configure
make
sudo make install

After you have gone through that with SimGear and FlightGear, you should have installed latest FG on your system.
Last edited by chris_blues on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby curt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:47 pm

There aren't too many build dependencies. Usually I run the compile until something breaks and then I install the missing package using "dnf" which is fedora's package manager. Once you've gone through the process once on your system then all those dependencies are there for future versions. There's really no magic to doing this ... it's very similar to the process of compiling many other open-source packages.
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby chris_blues » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:52 pm

Near miss! :) see my last post's edit.
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby megaloman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:04 pm

curt wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:18 pm:version 2013.3.1 is working just fine here on Fedora 24. Edit: 2016.3.1 :-)

I'll try to to build it myself - upgrading to Fedora 24 as we speak (it's downloading 4.7GB of packages) ;)

I've never thought of building from source - I would expect too many dependencies - I may give it a go! Thanks for a tip and replies :)
megaloman

Postby chris_blues » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Building from source usually isn't that hard. You just have to remember some key procedures, like mentioned above. Sometimes it's kinda tedious to fulfill all dependencies, if you don't know exactly what you need. Then you'll have to build until it stops, complaining about some missing dependency, install it and then retry and so on - until it builds through.
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby curt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:08 pm

It might be easier to just proceed down that path and ask questions if something breaks that you can't figure out?

The one big difference is I do out of source builds (so the .o's don't intermingle with the source files). So once the code is untarred (or git clone/pull) then I do something like the following:

mkdir build-release # as a sibling to the flightgear source tree which is called "flightgear"
cd build-release
rm CMakeCache.txt
cmake ../flightgear -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$PREFIX -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
make

I also do this for SimGear. I install OSG from fedora packages. I probably build/install plib from source because that's what I've always done.
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:14 am

@megaloman: the main thing is that your internet connection needs to be fast... i have a measly 3mb down connection and can easily out fly the scenery in the faster craft... pause the sim and wait for the scenery to finish... it should be ok the next time you fly there...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chris_blues » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 am

Good point! It's also quite possible your internet connection isn't fast enough.
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 am

wow... i missed the whole second page of this topic when i wrote my post about bandwidth...

FWIW: the speed of the connection is one thing... how much traffic is being stuffed into that pipe is also a factor as is the busy factor of every router between the sim and the server...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby shahaan gujral » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Hello everybody,
i run mac osx 10.11.6 and just downloaded the new version 2016.4.4 however when i selected an aircraft and everything and eneterd EBBR or brussels and started the flight everything about the loading was correct but FG did not download my scenery and jumped to loading and when it starts FG puts my aircraft in the water somewhere and i cant see any land (this happened with terrasync enabled) so i thaught to reinstall another version so i installed the 3.2 version
but i see that EBBR was already entered and when i started the flight again the same thing happened i tried it with every airport ,every aircraft but still the same problem and then in flie>scenery download>log it shows cannot download scenery terrasync does not exist correct directory

PLZ HELP SOME BODY
shahaan gujral

PreviousNext

Return to Support