Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Multiple Monitor - front view and instrument cluster

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Multiple Monitor - front view and instrument cluster

Postby jharris1993 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Greetings!

Ref: Prior posting at Dual Monitor - 1 view outside (ahead), 1 view instruments dated Fri Jan 28, 2011 within this forum.

Like the person in the post I referenced above, I want to try and configure FG to use multiple monitors - one monitor to represent the view "out-the-window" (and capable of having the view changed between front, left, and right side windows if possible), and the other monitor to represent the instruments. The "window" monitor is located above the "instruments" monitor. In Mint 18, I have them set as "continuous" monitors, the mouse being able to move up-and-down between them.

I realize that this prior posting is dated back in 2011 and references a version that was superseded a long long time ago. I also realize that there have been considerable improvements and changes to the way graphics, viewpoints, (etc.), are handled. The references are also old documents, referring to ancient versions of FG.

Can anyone who really knows their way around this topic speak to this in light of current code releases and current capabilities? Perhaps referencing documents that are more current as well?

Note to Hooray: No, I'm not trying to over-engineer this one. :wink: This is just a plain 'ole case of "I wanna do it!" I'm not holding up testing just for this. I'm just curious, and since I have the two monitors - and The Latest And Greatest version of FG - I thought I'd ask it to stretch it's legs a bit. :lol:

Thanks for all your help!

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Callsign: $%^&ing Idiot!
Version: Whatever..

Re: Multiple Monitor - front view and instrument cluster

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 pm

There's several approaches here - i.e. the multi-instance approach (multimon.pdf inkdrop) and the single-instance multi-screen setup detailed on the wiki ($FG_ROOT/Docs/README.multiscreen).

The latter requires an OSG-based version, the former works also for FG/PLIB (pre-OSG), because it runs different instances of fgfs.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby jharris1993 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Hooray,

Hopefully you didn't mind my "tweaking your beak" a bit. The intention was (supposed to be) humorous.

What's an "OSG"? (Sound bite: Bill Cosby - "What's a cubit?!" :wink: )

Since this seems to be a non-standard version as opposed to the stuff on the repo's, I am assuming I'd have to build this from scratch with appropriate options set. Right?

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Nope, it's all part of the official release: http://wiki.flightgear.org/OpenSceneGraph
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Torsten » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 pm

jharris1993 wrote in Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm: (and capable of having the view changed between front, left, and right side windows if possible), and the other monitor to represent the instruments.

This does not work. You can define as much cameras as you have displays (even multiple cameras per display if you like) and each camera can look into a different direction or have its own view parameters like FOV. But all are tied together when you turn your view direction.

Here is an example configuration for a huge multi-monitor/camera setup:
https://sourceforge.net/p/pmpt/fsweekend2014/ci/master/tree/config.xml
You only need the elements under /sim/rendering/camera-group - just ignore the rest.

Hope this helps

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby jharris1993 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks!

I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

Jim (JR)
What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993

Postby aprecelton » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi!

Without sounding like a complete numpty (which I clearly am..!) where do you put the code mentioned in the sourgeforge link posted by Torsten above? I want to do the exact same thing as the OP, but dont know what to modify to achieve this.

I have tried multi computer set up to achieve separate views for my chosen aircraft the Douglas DC3, but if I use the weaker computer as the slave to show instruments only some of the dials work. The computer I use for the master has a 5 port graphics card and it seems a shame not to be able to use it.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Many thanks

Adam
aprecelton

Postby vi3da » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:59 pm

hi all, does anybody have an exemple of default.xml file to configure a main screen with outside view and the other (i will put below) for instrument cluster?
thank you vm
vi3da

Version: 2019.1.1

Return to Hardware