Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Sukhoi's SU-27 Flanker B (JSBSim FDM) developpement

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: The new FG aircraft :Sukhoi's SU-27 Flanker B (JSBSim

Postby tonghuix » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi all,

I believe it should be a bug of FG launcher. I don't know why, but when I try from command line it works fine.
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix
Version: next

Re: The new FG aircraft :Sukhoi's SU-27 Flanker B (JSBSim

Postby enrogue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:04 pm

I have the same issue with the QT launcher & this aircraft - I have had this issue before when the aircraft in question is missing or erroring something in menu or dialog, but not throwing up an obvious error in the logs

As with another aircraft I had the problem with I was able to get it into the QT launcher by symlinking (on Mac & Linux) the aircrafts dir into FGDATA/Aircraft (the old aircraft install directory) to get it into the aircraft list - I could remove the symlink afterwards & it stays in the list

it's odd - I'll have another look at the SU-27SKs code & see if I can find a problem
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Re:FG aircraft :Sukhoi's SU-27 Flanker B (JSBSim FDM)

Postby yanes » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:45 am

I can't really figure any possible cause for the issue (since I can't reproduce the case exactly ) , but there is no problem for me ,
it's working just like any other other installed aircraft (except that Installed it directly in the "FGDATA/Aircraft/" directory .

Hurry ! may be you don't want to miss the newly improved systems/instruments with a lot of clickable panels .
Navigation modes(Russian 'RSBN' 'ARC' , route managements , and correspondent buttons & knobs are working ,
Image Image

Please test and report .
BTW , I need a russian language guy to help me understand some lines in the manuals and other sources

Regards ,
Yanes Bechir
yanes

Callsign: YANES
Version: 2018.2.2

Re: Sukhoi's SU-27 Flanker B (JSBSim FDM) developpement

Postby PINTO » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:14 am

Just out of curiousity, how are you handling RSBN stations? Are you just letting people tune into VOR's or whatever?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby yanes » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:39 am

Yes , I did ,because this is an export version of the fighter , (Even made under license in China as "J-11" and India ) .
the export version was intended to to fly all over in the international space where commons instruments are used for navigation and landing .
So , Sukhoi company tuned it's products (especially the ones manufactured out of Russian borders ) to these systems in a specific series
as "SKM" versions (what this FG implementation implicitly simulates ),
the K and S in Sukhoi's variants is Russian for "Kommercheskiy" - literally "Commercial"and "Seriyniy Modernizovanniy" - literally "Serial Modernized",
the soviet space air navigation aids are still unknown (and even the old systems stills somehow Classified )
However , the RSBN system used not very different way of radio navigation than the common ones (similar in freqs ranges ) , and Even the ARC system is
for use with NDB stations and in similar freqs ranges also
if they kept their 1982's implementation the su-27 won't be listed in the 4th gen fighters and some variants goes (4th+),
googling for "Su-27 modernization" or "su-27 upgrades " would give many useful results ,
this is a simple changelog-like :) page HERE :
yanes

Postby enrogue » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:03 am

Is the GIT repo your main working code base? There is an issue on pulling it on systems with case insensitive filesystems (like MacOS & Windows):

In the directory Models/Interior/Instruments/Pylons-board you have 2 files: Pylons-board.png and pylons-board.png

A git clone on my system pulls one & then the 2nd one overwrites the 1st, then git complains that the 2nd one is missing

Pylons-board.ac is referencing Pylons-board.png, so pylons-board.png should be deleted - this should fix the issue
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby yanes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:30 am

I think that I "splached" the issue ,
You guys made me install WINE (windows emulator on unix systems ) on my machine and ,YES I had the same issue ,
after changing the default line endings to windows encoding (CR+LF) , every thing went well ,
God bless Windows ! :? :P

Fix was committed & pushed you need just to re-pull your local repos and please report the results .
yanes

Postby yanes » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 am

Hi all ,
while improving the cockpit panels, I seem to run into a problem in texturing the main instruments panel,
for some reason the texture looks ugly and low resolution .
I increased the size of the texture to 2048 x 2048 since it's covered space in the scene is relatively large .
I tried my old trick (raise to higher PPI) , but even with 750 which is too high for a texture , it doesn't give the expected results :? .
you can look here :
So, how to geek :?:
any shader , effect or something that may provide some Ambient Occlusion visual effect ? , if faking it to textures is not the best approach ?

Thanks in advance ,
yanes

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 am

any shader , effect or something that may provide some Ambient Occlusion visual effect ? , if faking it to textures is not the best approach ?

You can run Rembrandt, that has ambient occlusion. Though personally I think computing something every frame that you can pre-compute once and be done with it is a waste of perfectly good GPU cycles.

Anyway, from looking at your texture, part of the problem seems to me not so much with resolution but that the content of the pixels is just a bit ugly - it doesn't look like the shadow is properly drawn, there's bright bits intruding into it, and that can't be fixed with any resolution, it just need to be drawn correctly.

Also, many high-quality aircraft these days use 4096x4096 texture sheets (possibly even several) for the cockpit, so you're not really that high in resolution.

Finally, I gather it's possible to just uv-map a region of interest to a large area of the texture and a region outside to a small area, i.e. your uv-mapping is not required to have the same scale across the texture sheet - so you can add resolution where you need to.
Thorsten

Postby xcvb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm

yanes wrote in Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 am:Hi all ,
while improving the cockpit panels, I seem to run into a problem in texturing the main instruments panel,
for some reason the texture looks ugly and low resolution .
I increased the size of the texture to 2048 x 2048 since it's covered space in the scene is relatively large .
I tried my old trick (raise to higher PPI) , but even with 750 which is too high for a texture , it doesn't give the expected results :? .
you can look here :
So, how to geek :?:

Thanks in advance ,

You could have a look how the authors of the B707 created the ambient occlusion shadows for their instruments. I adapted this idea for the tu134a and generated the shadow only once and included it for every instrument. In this way you can easily change the shadow later but you have to take care that all instruments have the same size and that the shadows do not overlap.
xcvb

Version: Next

Postby yanes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:51 am

very nice work @xcvb85 , this is exactly what I was looking for , Thank you .
amazing technique ,after a try ,it worked great, I'll use your shadow model (since it's gpl) on the su-27 instruments .
thanks again .

Yanes Bechir ,
Last edited by yanes on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
yanes

Postby yanes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:10 am

Thorsten ,
thank you for replying , I didn't noticed your answer on mobile , I'm sorry ,
Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 am:You can run Rembrandt, that has ambient occlusion. Though personally I think computing something every frame that you can pre-compute once and be done with it is a waste of perfectly good GPU cycles.

Since the very early development days in 2016 I tried Rembrandt , and due to resources consumption and crashes , I got to decide and the choice was made :ALS with some "smart texturing techniques ",

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 am:Anyway, from looking at your texture, part of the problem seems to me not so much with resolution but that the content of the pixels is just a bit ugly - it doesn't look like the shadow is properly drawn, there's bright bits intruding into it, and that can't be fixed with any resolution, it just need to be drawn correctly.

Also, many high-quality aircraft these days use 4096x4096 texture sheets (possibly even several) for the cockpit, so you're not really that high in resolution.

I already tried to raise the PPP ("Points Per Pixel" or "DPI" for print size ) to 750 with no luck ,and tried even 8192x8192 and I think this was a memory consuming ,
(reported size in memory 509 Mb in gimp and some other Linux imaging softwares),

regards
Yanes Bechir
yanes

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:12 am

To illustrate what I mean, here's a magnification of the picture I've done. From the structures I see, I can estimate the pixel size on the base texture - which is notable, but not dramatically so.

The issue is that the jagged edge of the shadow and the intruding bright areas are in fact larger than the pixel size - they're not caused by pixelation errors, they're caused by the process you use to draw your shadow.

I don't know how you do it, but it would seem you need to change it - the jagged appearance is not a resolution artifact, so just increasing resolution won't help you.
Thorsten

Postby Arul » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi guys,
I am glad that we have the Su-27 in fg but would be grateful if someone could make a Su-30 MKI out of it, modelling is not my cup of tea nor is any form of development because I am but a user of aircraft in fg, would anyone here be willing to do it for those of us who are looking forward to seeing the Su-30 MKI in fg?.

Thanks,
Arul
Arul

Postby yanes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Thank you @ARUL for your feedback ,
The su-30 is a beautiful and powerful war-bird , however if one wants to implement it into simulation , that wouldn't be done from the scratch .
However , a huge amount of work is to perform (the Su-27SK is also still in development stage ),
We should then add Canards to the model and FDM , vectored thrust, cockpit layout ..etc.
anyway , don't miss the newly reworked cockpit with a lot of visual effects and improvements that will be committed in the coming days :lol: ,
yanes

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft