Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Aircraft are uncontrollable

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Aircraft are uncontrollable

Postby dilbert » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Uh Oh. Did you to program any unused buttons or previously use the stick elsewhere, such as with FSX?. I have the same joystick and had similar problems. The cure was to reset the stick to
default mode as mentioned above. Unfortunately, programming the unused buttons slaves the rudder and nose gear to the throttle. Using chase view you can see it happen: Advancing throttle turns rudder and nose gear right, and reducing it turns both left. Resetting puts stick in default mode, where elevator, aileron, rudder, trim, flaps, throttle ,brakes ,view, using hat switch, and toe brakes using buttons 11 & 12 work fine. Tried re-coding the default settings in the program for gear, etc., but that caused the problem to happen from start, and be unrecoverable by resetting. Problem is an unfortnate idiosyncrasy of the 3D Pro.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby dilbert » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:34 pm

dilbert

Postby Altster » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:13 am

OK - to all of you who are having trouble making your aircraft "not flip over" or other dasterdly deeds at first flight you might wish to spend some time listening to some of these free lessons under -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMrUs ... 4S9JgkFM2w

I have a better understanding now about how realism affects attempting to fly in this sim vs FSX.

And to dilbert..........................

I've tried setting my joystick to defaults and NOT using any of the other buttons during attempted takeoffs to no avail. Like I said before, maybe I will revisit this sim sometime in the future.
Altster

Callsign: toothpick-1
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby Johan G » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Altster wrote in Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:13 am:[...] you might wish to spend some time listening to some of these free lessons [...]

That was a very nice channel. Clear and concise lessons. Very good tip. :D

I posted some links to crosswind technique videos right away.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby randomperson123 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi,
I was thinking maybe try a different craft other than the Cessna. Many of the jets with simpler controls/dynamics are actually sometimes easier to control when it comes to takeoff and dynamics problems.

I am not completely sure if this will fix the problem, but that's my reply.
Villagers.
randomperson123

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:55 am

In reality people usually learn to fly on a single engine prop plane (in fact, the C-172p is a very popular craft with flight schools) - not with a jet.

There's a couple of reasons for that - besides the pricetag when you break it, it's that the time you have to correct any mistakes during, say, an approach is a lot more at 40 kt than at 230 kt.
Thorsten

Postby dilbert » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:57 pm

recommend Aermacchi 339B. Flies nicely, Stable. No bad habits.
dilbert

Previous

Return to Flying