Board index FlightGear Development

Data boxes appear but no data in the data boxes; Win7_32

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Data boxes appear but no data in the data boxes; Win7_32

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:31 pm

hello Developers,
I posted a week or so ago in the main forum and a helpful user suggested I post here.
Under the "Equipment/map" menu, I can get the map.
I like the map feature, and I use it constantly.
If I check the "data" box, I can get the data boxes on my map.
But the data boxes themselves are devoid of data.
I have integrated intel graphics (not ideal, I know).
I went to the intel site and made sure that all of my graphics drivers were updated.
I also upgraded to FG Zurich.
The problem still persists.
I am posting here in the Dev part of the forum to learn whether there is anything I can do to make the data appear inside the data boxes when I choose the "Equipment/map" feature and then check the "data" box.
cj
captainjack

Re: Data boxes appear but no data in the data boxes; Win7_32

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:21 pm

i think they actually said to post on the dev mailing list... at the very top of this page is a link to "mailing lists"... the dev list is the 6th one listed in the table and there's a subscribe button in the 4th field over... this will let you interact most directly with the devs as they do not all always read these forums...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 pm

wkitty42 thanks.
If the developers are not reading this forum daily, then the Flightgear project is doomed to failure.
Thank you for your response.
cj
captainjack

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 pm

no, actually, it is not... they get much much much more work and viable development discussions done on the mailing list... the project has been around for 20 years and won't be dieing any time soon... these forums are for the users... the developers are better off in the mailing list where they can concentrate on development and furthering the project via their roadmap(s)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:54 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 pm:no, actually, it is not... they get much much much more work and viable development discussions done on the mailing list... the project has been around for 20 years and won't be dieing any time soon... these forums are for the users... the developers are better off in the mailing list where they can concentrate on development and furthering the project via their roadmap(s)...

wkitty42 thanks.
Again:
If the developers are not reading this forum daily, then the Flightgear project is (eventually) doomed to failure.
The success of any open source project is directly related to the experiences of its end users.
The "developers mailing list" is a step away from that.
If the developers are not in contact daily with the end users, then the Flightgear project will (eventually) fail.
That is the truth, and "you can take it to the bank" .
Thank you for your response.
cj
captainjack

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 pm

we'll have to agree to disagree on that aspect... all projects that i've worked with over the last 20 years have fallen into disarray when development discussions moved to open forums and the devs had to deal with all kinds of stuff from the users... when they went back to the mailing lists, they were able to concentrate without the distractions and get actual work done without spending hours a day reading and posting to users... those hours were instead used for actual coding and debugging... YMMV, though...

with all that said, there are some who are willing to cross-post some things to the dev list and play intermediary... some will just post a link to the forum topic... if you ask, someone may be willing to do this since you don't seem to be amenable to doing it yourself where you can provide the answers to their questions directly...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:11 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 pm:we'll have to agree to disagree on that aspect... all projects that i've worked with over the last 20 years have fallen into disarray when development discussions moved to open forums and the devs had to deal with all kinds of stuff from the users... when they went back to the mailing lists, they were able to concentrate without the distractions and get actual work done without spending hours a day reading and posting to users... those hours were instead used for actual coding and debugging... YMMV, though...

with all that said, there are some who are willing to cross-post some things to the dev list and play intermediary... some will just post a link to the forum topic... if you ask, someone may be willing to do this since you don't seem to be amenable to doing it yourself where you can provide the answers to their questions directly...

Well then wkitty42,
The "mailing list" should not be available to end users.
The "mailing list" should not be presented or even mentioned in the general fora.
I can understand the how and why of developers needing their space.
But my point remains true: if the developers get too far out of touch with the needs of the end users, then the FlightGear project will ultimately fail.
It's simple economics.
It's a law, it governs "how things work in this world".
"20 years this", "20 years that" , it all means nothing dear wkitty42, it only means "blah blah blah"
The only thing that matters is the state of the project in the here and now of 2016.
The laws of simple economics govern, because they are laws.
cj
captainjack

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:23 pm

To the DEVELOPERS,
Please help me to understand whether or not I can do anything to get DATA to appear inside the DATA BOXES when I implement the "Equipment/map" FEATURE, and then while in that feature, I check the DATA box.
While enjoying the map FEATURE and checking the "data" subfeature, the data boxes appear just fine, but no data appears inside the data boxes.
I had this problem in FG 2016.3.1.
So I upgraded to FG version 2016.4.1
The problem persists.
The problem is the same regardless of FG version.
Please help me to figure out why I can see the data boxes but no data appears within the data boxes.
If its is a simple matter of having sucky graphics ( integrated intel graphics, 2006 laptop), then please just tell me "you are having this problem because your graphics capabilities suck, and it has nothing to do with FlightGear quality".
If you tell me that, then I can close down this thread and I can move on to the next challenge.
I would very much like to move on to the next challenge.
Thank you Developers,
cj
captainjack

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:16 pm

please post the full details of your system... CPU, RAM, full video, video RAM, is video RAM shared with the system's main memory?

[edit]

i forgot to add... i will forward your query to the dev list and post their response back but i need at least the above information so we don't have to go back and forth pulling hen's teeth to get it all together ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby captainjack » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:16 pm:please post the full details of your system... CPU, RAM, full video, video RAM, is video RAM shared with the system's main memory?

[edit]

i forgot to add... i will forward your query to the dev list and post their response back but i need at least the above information so we don't have to go back and forth pulling hen's teeth to get it all together ;)

No, wkitty32, I won't post the details of my system.
They don't matter.
Any developer reading my post will get the point, and will at first reply to me in general terms.
In the kindest terms possible, I ask you to stop commenting here in this thread.
My purpose in this thread is to seek communication with the developers or a developer.
Please do not comment again here.
Thank you.
cj
captainjack

Postby PINTO » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:59 am

First off, wkitty42 is right. You won't get interaction with the core developers on the forums. That's just how it is. If you're that desperate to communicate with them, you have to use the mailing list.

captainjack wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:31 pm:I have integrated intel graphics

This is most likely your problem.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 am

captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:No, wkitty32, I won't post the details of my system.
They don't matter.

they do matter... especially if the system is too old or not configured to use video memory fully... but that's your choice... i gave you the chance to ask but you didn't... then i offered to be the intermediary and you are refusing... that's also your choice...

captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:Any developer reading my post will get the point, and will at first reply to me in general terms.

incorrect... they will need to know these details to troubleshoot your problem...

captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:In the kindest terms possible, I ask you to stop commenting here in this thread.
My purpose in this thread is to seek communication with the developers or a developer.

that's also your choice... welcome to my "foe" list... you won't be seeing or hearing from me any more...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby captainjack » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 am

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 am:
captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:No, wkitty32, I won't post the details of my system.
They don't matter.

they do matter... especially if the system is too old or not configured to use video memory fully... but that's your choice... i gave you the chance to ask but you didn't... then i offered to be the intermediary and you are refusing... that's also your choice...

captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:Any developer reading my post will get the point, and will at first reply to me in general terms.

incorrect... they will need to know these details to troubleshoot your problem...

captainjack wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 am:In the kindest terms possible, I ask you to stop commenting here in this thread.

that's also your choice... welcome to my "foe" list... you won't be seeing or hearing from me any more...

wkitty42, in retrospect you were right and I was wrong.
I apologize, and I will be more circumspect in my comments from this point forward.
I also do not want to be on your "foe list", and I hope you will reconsider.
Since I first joined the forum, your assistance has helped me through the technical challenges more than the assistance of any other forum member, and I appreciate very much your spirit of helpfulness.
sincerely,
cj
captainjack

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:22 pm

@captainjack: apology accepted.
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby captainjack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 am

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:22 pm:@captainjack: apology accepted.

wikitty42 thank you, you are gracious.
cj
captainjack

Return to Development