Board index Other Forum

Forum: Seeking the person who decides forum/topic hierarchy

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Forum: Seeking the person who decides forum/topic hierarchy

Postby captainjack » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:06 am

Hello,
There are many headings/subheadings, topics/subtopics on this forum.
I am trying to contact the person who decides the hierarchichal topic-structure of the forum.
For example: should another topic/subtopic be added to the forum, or not?
Who is the person who decides and manages these things?
I make this post in order to enter into communication with that person so that I might inform myself by way of asking some questions of that person.
I am posting in the "Forum" category because it seems the most logical place for me to post questions about the forum.
If anyone reading this post believes I should have posted in some other part of the forum, please post a reply here to let me know your suggestion of the appropriate place to post.
Thank you,
cj
captainjack

Re: Forum: Seeking the person who decides forum/topic hierar

Postby Gijs » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 am

Hi Jack,

Feel free to make your suggestion here, so other users can comment. If there's interest in your suggestion, and the forum team agrees on it, we'll add it.

Cheers,
Gijs

PS: We call them subforums ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby captainjack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:33 am

Gijs wrote in Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 am:Hi Jack,

Feel free to make your suggestion here, so other users can comment. If there's interest in your suggestion, and the forum team agrees on it, we'll add it.

Cheers,
Gijs

PS: We call them subforums ;-)

Gijs, thank you,
OK on calling them "subforums"!
There is much content about joystick bindings and keyboard bindings here in the forum as well as in the official documentation.
But there is little content about mouse bindings in either the global (mice.xml and preferences.xml) sense, or in the per aircraft sense.
Therefore, would it be of any benefit to establish a persistent forum branch dedicated to the topic of "mouse bindings" ?
I propose that it would benefit the entire FG community to have a forum branch dedicated solely to the topic of "mice/mouse bindings".
At present, many have trouble with mouse bindings, and their posts are scattered everywhere throughout the forum.
I propose that it is better to bring all such users together into one place. To do so would be more efficient.
I propose that in the "Support" part of the forum, a dedicated subtopic be established and maintained, and that it be titled "mouse bindings".
After all, it is mouse bindings that ultimately define the quality of the end user's experience in FlightGear.
It is mouse bindings that govern whether or not a particular aircraft is useable at all by any flyer.
Thank you for showing me how to propose/post, I appreciate that.
I propose here.
Edit ten minutes later:
I propose that in the "Support" subforum, there should be a persistent, maintained subforum titled "Input bindings"
And that in that subforum "Input bindings", there should be three subfora, namely:
1. Mouse bindings
2. Keyboard bindings
3. Joystick bindings
I believe that establishing this subforum and its three descendant subfora would benefit the FG community greatly.
For those needing help, it would give them a specific place to seek help.
For those giving wisdom, it would give them a specific place to give their wisdom.
Doing so would declutter and de-constipate the forum as it is, and would put all persons with similar interests into the same forum category.
Most important, doing so would help the newcomers to FlightGear to find a place to address their input problems, and would result in a quicker turnaround time from problem presentation to problem resolution for them, resulting in a greater overall customer satisfaction with the FlightGear product.
This translates into more good will for Flightgear as opposed to more frustration and badmouthing of Flightgear over any input issue. Understand that new users will badmouth Flightgear under their breath and then publicly if they cannot get their mouse to control their aircraft as they think it should. They will blame Flightgear, they will badmouth Flightgear in the public arena.
My proposal is all three sound and efficient and beneficial for all involved.
It is the right thing to do.
cj
captainjack

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:48 am

That kind of structure may seem logical (indeed it does), but it's also pretty nested - I guess it would make more sense to use your structure to help improve the wiki accordingly.

If however you can find 20+ topics per sub-forum that could be moved there, that might still make sense
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby captainjack » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:21 am

Hooray wrote in Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:48 am:That kind of structure may seem logical (indeed it does), but it's also pretty nested - I guess it would make more sense to use your structure to help improve the wiki accordingly.

If however you can find 20+ topics per sub-forum that could be moved there, that might still make sense

Hello Hooray,
thank you for the input. Yes, it's nested, but I notice that all forum topics have nested subtopics.
I think it's just a matter of setting it up one time so that all such questions can be funneled to there in the future, maybe past topics moved there too.
Maybe there is less of a need for it than I presented in the original post, that could be true. From my limited perspective, input bindings generate alot of support traffic, that is why I believe it would be best to have a specific meeting place for those having issues with input bindings.
I don't know much about FG wikis, that's something I will look into.
thanks again,
cj
captainjack

Return to Forum