Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Fatal Exception with New Launcher and Piper Seneca  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Fatal Exception with New Launcher and Piper Seneca

Postby pb321 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:25 pm

Just yesterday I installed version 2016.4.2. It's really nice work! I installed the Piper Seneca II and was trying it out when I received the following message: "Fatal Exception: Unknow variant org.flightgear.fgaddon.SenecaII in package Seneca II". Now every time I try to launch FlightGear, I receive this message, click "OK", but nothing happens.

I can start FlightGear by going to the command prompt, moving into the FlightGear directory\bin and typing "fgfs" and everything works fine. But how do I restore the functionality of the new launcher? I tried resetting using ALT-[click launcher] but that didn't help. What now?
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Fatal Exception with New Launcher and Piper Seneca

Postby Necolatis » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:30 pm

I got the same yesterday on my girlfriends PC.

Only thing that helped was to delete the fgaddon folder in the Document/Flightgear folder. Plus deleting the fgaddon files in $FGHome/aircraft-data

But every time I redownload an aircraft via the launcher, the error will come back when restarting Flightgear.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Try removing the variant tag in the set file.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:00 pm

IIRC, Necolatis has posted about this on the dev list... james has to look at it and figure out the problem... i suspect that something was forgotten to be written somewhere so the sim recognizes the craft...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pb321 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:37 am

Thanks for your responses. Here's what I've tried:
1. Searched for variant in SenecaII Aircraft set file. There is no variant tag. Could that be the problem?
2. Tried just deleting the SenecaII aircraft folder. No luck, so I restored the folder.
3. Manually downloaded the SenecaII aircraft folder from http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft/ and replaced the entire folder with the unzipped downloaded folder. Still no luck. Left that folder as active.
4. Tried the ALT- [click launcher] again. It shows the dialog box "Setup required data files" that requests selecting or downloading the FlightGear data files. I tried option 2 (use built-in data files) and the error appeared immediately. Same with option 1 (browse to a downloaded copy on your computer). I browsed to the data folder in the FlightGear 2016.4.2 installation directory. Option 3 takes you to https://sourceforge.net/projects/flight ... se-2016.4/ to re-download the entire setup installation package.

If I re-install overtop the existing installation will it resolve this problem? It doesn't sound like it.
Is there a way to get this working now or should I just uninstall and reinstall and avoid future installation of the Piper Seneca II until a fix is available? It seems like this is the answer for now. Correct?
pb321

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:58 pm

it sounds like the pointer for the downloaded craft is being stored in a data file... removing the directory of the craft doesn't remove the pointer in the file... as this on winwhatever, it would seem that Necolatis' solution is what needs to be done for now...
Necolatis wrote:Only thing that helped was to delete the fgaddon folder in the Document/Flightgear folder. Plus deleting the fgaddon files in $FGHome/aircraft-data

then, if you still want to use that craft, download it manually and place it in your private local hanger and point flightgear to that... like so...

1. open a cmd prompt
2. type "md myflightgear" (without the quotes) and hit enter
3. type "md myflightgear\Aircraft" (without the quotes) and hit enter
4. download the craft's archive
5. unarchive the craft into your myflightgear\Aircraft folder that you just created. make sure you keep the directory names and structure!
6. it should look like myflightgear\Aircraft\SenecaII
7. in the launcher, go to the Addons tab and add your myflightgear\Aircraft directory to the list of craft directories
8. for now, until this bug is fixed, manually download your desired craft and place them in your myflightgear\Aircraft directory just like this and they will be available

you can close the cmd window after step 3 if you like... you should easily be able to find your directory in your home directory with whatever file system browser you use...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pb321 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Problem has been solved! Thank you all. I look forward to the fix but this will work in the meantime.

I have to say I'm impressed with the quick response to a post on this forum!
pb321

Postby Necolatis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:40 pm

2016.4.3 which should fix this has been released:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/flight ... se-2016.4/
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19