Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby PavlinS » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:56 pm

amalahama wrote in Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:13 am:
Thorsten wrote in Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:06 pm:Indeed, the Shuttle Crew Operations Manual is included in the distribution. Though it hardly qualifies as a tutorial... Even in the best case, you'll have to do some reading though - like NASA terminology - MECO for instance means 'main engine cutoff' and a post-MECO checklist is what you do after you're just made orbit and the engines are out - definitely not on the pad :D

By remarkable coincidence, I uploaded this just today to my page:

(click me)

It's designed to give a beginner-level introduction to Shuttle operations and FG-specific, i.e. explains what procedures are actually implemented and how (where to find the buttons...) It refers to the most recent stable milestone-7 - which Richard will hopefully upload to FGAddon over the next few days.

Please note that while the manual is available free of charge for FG users, it is not licensed GPL, nor will it be.

Just bravo Thorsten! :D Very comprehensive and easy to follow, perfect to help us to tame this beast. By the way, what's the recommended FG version (and most stable) to use with the last Space Shuttle version? I'm using FG 2016 3.1 but actually ver. 2.1 run better at my rig. And I would swear that the overhead and aft switches were visible at some point in the past, are they removed now from the cockpit mesh?

Regards!

At last, Thank you..............
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Congratulations - hope you enjoyed the ride :-)

Do you have issues running ALS (and the Earthview cloud layer)? Thet make Earth from orbit look much nicer...
Thorsten

Postby PavlinS » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:51 pm

My graphic card is Intel HD3000. So .........
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:43 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it seems I'm actually working on the last DPS display that currently makes sense to implement. What's left deals with functions we can't simulate (memory management, software patching,...), won't need (ground checkout, test screens) or don't have the simulated hardware in yet (GPS, payload cooling, payload electrical power, docking,...).

So once DISP 88 is done, the avionics will be as good as it gets for the time being.
Thorsten

Postby amalahama » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:03 am

Great Thorsten! The Ascent Bearing display (Spec 054) was added on the last SW issue (OI-34) and it's an hybrid between IDP and GPC, using resources of both to represent the current shuttle position in a 2D world map. A DPS Dictionary for OI-34 is yet to be release for public use AFAIK, but there are some articles out there describing the functionality, is there any chances to get it working in Flightgear's shuttle?
amalahama

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:14 am

I haven't seen it yet, but probably this can be done. Though I'm probably going to insert it low into the priority list, I wanted to work some on the HUD and get the whole rendezvous navigation thing organized in a better way - and we're pushing hard to get the complete flightdeck textured and animated at the moment.

Do you happen to have any pictures/specs?
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Gradually working with Wayne through the overhead and rear panels... texturing is a bit more advanced than switch animation

but at least propellant flow management is fully operational.

Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 am

@amalahama:

Okay, changing to a different font for everything is trivially accomplished by extending the canvas font mapper in the SVG parser.

I'll ping Hooray about how to best pass the override.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:31 am

Thorsten wrote:I'd like to extend the SVG font mapper to receive an optional default font string argument. The change itself is trivial to do

http://www.science-and-fiction.org/FG/p ... change.jpg

and seems to do what it should, but I wonder how you'd prefer to see the string passed. I guess it could be appended in some way to the base canvas, or to the object into which the svg parse is done, or in a lot of different ways - knowing the preferences of the canvas team would be nice.

The font mapper is exactly that: a way to override and customize the default settings: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_SVG_P ... t_settings
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:51 am

Ah - cool. Seems I've overlooked the obvious then. Sorry for the noise.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Starting to look nice overhead...

Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:50 am

For anyone interested in pretty much all the details (checklists for off-nominal situations, launch aborts, contingency landings, some background material,... - the Deluxe Edition of the manual is now ready):

(click me)
Thorsten

Postby amalahama » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:08 pm:Starting to look nice overhead...

Hi Thosten,

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the last snapshot from Sourceforge, but the overhead and aft panels were missing.

Is it still pending on submission? Or is there any configuration command to activate them?

Regards
amalahama

Postby Thorsten » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:19 pm

SpaceShuttle->Simulation Options -> Cockpit detail - if it's the devel repo.

What's on FGAddon was before the mesh optimization problem and has the mesh disabled to avoid scaring users with 5 minutes loading time for an untextured mesh.
Thorsten

Postby amalahama » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 am

Fixed thank you! I can't wait to see all those switches moving :D

Thorsten wrote in Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 am:@amalahama:

Okay, changing to a different font for everything is trivially accomplished by extending the canvas font mapper in the SVG parser.

I'll ping Hooray about how to best pass the override.

Is it possible to assign different fonts in the same SVG? DPS pages use a different font from MEDS symbology (like the bottom menu). Maybe it's asking too much... but it's how the display system works IRL.

I'm getting better with the properties.xml and slowly solving some graphic/performance issues. But the real fps killer is the PFD. Worse in my case, maximizing PFD settings doesn't only cut fps by half, but also introduces an almost imperceptible but annoying stuttering each 2-3 seconds :cry:

Regards
amalahama

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight