Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

OSGEarth integrate in Linux Ubuntu

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: OSGEarth integrate in Linux Ubuntu

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm

honestly, you should look up the original instructions and adapt those as needed - which is to say, you should really not be trying to build latest sg/fg "next" against those branches, but use poweroftwo's own set of branches - absent that, you will not only need to understand how to use git and cmake, but also how to make modifications of C++ code, which requires being familiar with the SG/FG code base in the first place - keep in mind, that -obviously- not even the FlightGear core developers were able to get this properly reviewed/integrated (despite them having the corresponding background knowledge), so you are really much better off using Jeff's branches, instead of mixing things that simply cannot work "as is".
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Amarildojr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm:but also how to make modifications of C++ code, which requires being familiar with the SG/FG code base in the first place - keep in mind, that -obviously- not even the FlightGear core developers were able to get this properly reviewed/integrated (despite them having the corresponding background knowledge), so you are really much better off using Jeff's branches, instead of mixing things that simply cannot work "as is".

I see. Then I give up.
Amarildojr

Callsign: TAM91

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:35 pm

It would make more sense to simply continue using poweroftwo's own branches - and only look at sg/fg next once those are working properly.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Amarildojr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Yeah, I guess building his own separate branches is way easier. I'll try that now.
Amarildojr

Callsign: TAM91

Postby pommesschranke » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:52 pm:A number of us are using it,

on linux ?
who?

and it is working just fine last I checked

so you did build it ? please tell us how.

- but like I said, you definitely need to be familiar with git, cmake etc - outdated URLs are just a minor thing in comparison to what you really need to understand.

this is not helpful. why can't you just paste the needed commands to build it ?

Code: Select all
[ 46%] [ 46%] Building CXX object src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/fg_commands.cxx.o
[ 47%] [ 47%] Building CXX object src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/FGInterpolator.cxx.o
Building CXX object src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/fg_init.cxx.o
Building CXX object src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/globals.cxx.o
In file included from /home/mherweg/fg-fgmeta/osgearth/flightgear-osgearth/src/Main/globals.cxx:57:0:
/home/mherweg/fg-fgmeta/osgearth/flightgear-osgearth/src/Viewer/viewmgr.hxx:35:29: fatal error: osgEarthUtil/Sky: No such file or directory
 # include <osgEarthUtil/Sky>
                             ^
compilation terminated.
[ 47%] Building CXX object src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/locale.cxx.o
In file included from /home/mherweg/fg-fgmeta/osgearth/flightgear-osgearth/src/Main/fg_commands.cxx:39:0:
/home/mherweg/fg-fgmeta/osgearth/flightgear-osgearth/src/Viewer/viewmgr.hxx:35:29: fatal error: osgEarthUtil/Sky: No such file or directory
                             ^
compilation terminated.
In file included from /home/mherweg/fg-fgmeta/osgearth/flightgear-osgearth/src/Main/fg_init.cxx:122:0:
                             ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/globals.cxx.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/fg_commands.cxx.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/fg_init.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Code: Select all
dpkg -l | grep osg
ii  libosgearth-dev                        2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        osgEarth development files
ii  libosgearth2                           2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (shared lib)
ii  libosgearthannotation2                 2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (osgEarthAnnotation)
ii  libosgearthfeatures2                   2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (osgEarthFeatures)
ii  libosgearthqt2                         2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (osgEarthQt)
ii  libosgearthsymbology2                  2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (osgEarthSymbology)
ii  libosgearthutil2                       2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (osgEarthUtil)
ii  openscenegraph-plugin-osgearth         2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        OpenSceneGraph plugins for osgEarth
ii  osgearth                               2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 amd64        Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (binaries)
ii  osgearth-data                          2.4.0+dfsg-6                                 all          Dynamic 3D terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (data)

pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 pm

yeah, on Linux - haven't used Windows in years, and even the Windows binaries I posted were built on Linux using mxe.
As a matter of fact, I originally helped work out the cmake tooling to make those patches work on Linux because of that - which was when I posted the LOWI screenshots back then.

PS: referring to your last question: I have a pre-configured build environment with the corresponding remotes and branches added, so that I can easily build the whole shebang - which is why it's not just about posting a few commands - people definitely need to understand what they are doing, I would not suggest to actually try this unless people really understand how to patch/build different versions of SG/FG - people blindly following instructions by copying & pasting shell commands into a terminal window is begging for trouble - as matter of fact, that is why I always encourage folks to set up dedicated "fgfs" accounts to be on the safe side.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby pommesschranke » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:03 pm

Hooray wrote in Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 pm: I have a pre-configured build environment with the corresponding remotes and branches added, so that I can easily build the whole shebang

nice!
then please upload a 64bit linux binary
or share your build configuration with us.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby rebootl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:14 pm

pommesschranke wrote in Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:38 pm:
- but like I said, you definitely need to be familiar with git, cmake etc - outdated URLs are just a minor thing in comparison to what you really need to understand.

I also think it would be useful to have an updated wiki article, which is what I'll try to do now. Maybe creating a separate article. I use Arch Linux but it may be useful for other Linux users too.

people definitely need to understand what they are doing, I would not suggest to actually try this unless people really understand how to patch/build different versions of SG/FG - people blindly following instructions by copying & pasting shell commands into a terminal window is begging for trouble - as matter of fact, that is why I always encourage folks to set up dedicated "fgfs" accounts to be on the safe side.

I agree, but: People are messing with their systems. All the time. Anyway.

then please upload a 64bit linux binary

Packaging in Linux is hard. Even with a 64bit linux binary, it may not work if compiled on another distro. Because of shared libraries. Arch for example has very recent libraries, compared to other distros, in general.
rebootl

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:46 am

Thank you for helping with this - let me know if you are hitting any hard issues - but in general, the simperative branches should still build "as is" - integrating those with SG/FG next is a completely different topic though, and would definitely require C++ knowledge
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to osgEarth