Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:41 pm

1)the stack is under the launchpad.

Is this reproducible? I used to see this occasionally triggered by some odd timing issues, but haven't for a long time.

I did the pre-launch checklist, everything green and but engines stays at 0% after pressing the throttle

Yeah, we're mean and made it more realistic... You can't ignite engines with the throttle any more, they need an ignition command (shift+i) - and you can't cut them off with throttle either, you need to use the cutoff buttons or key commands when flying manually.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:00 am

To anyone using the devel repo of the Shuttle (and hence acting as alpha-tester) - a flight-tested milestone-7 is now tagged. I've tested launch, regular entry, RTLS and a TAL during the last days, in addition to going through the various checklists and eliminated two handful of issues, so the major issues seem under control.

If you find any more bugs in this, please let me know.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 am

Can someone make a tutorial how to lounge this aircraft? I make only the pre-lounge checklist, than most of the commands for me are unknown- like how to verify DAP switch to RCS. Also:
Set LO2 mainfold pressurization valve closed.
Set proppelent dump sequence
Disconnect SRB's
Here a shoot fro it:Image
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby Johan G » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:21 pm

I am not 100% sure, but I am under the impression that the Crew Operations Manual was included with the package (it is a ~40 MB pdf file).

I also think that you can access checklists from the Aircraft menu.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby PavlinS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:58 pm

No, only on help menu. When Ignition start is trootle back anddoes not lift off at all.
PavlinS

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Indeed, the Shuttle Crew Operations Manual is included in the distribution. Though it hardly qualifies as a tutorial... Even in the best case, you'll have to do some reading though - like NASA terminology - MECO for instance means 'main engine cutoff' and a post-MECO checklist is what you do after you're just made orbit and the engines are out - definitely not on the pad :D

By remarkable coincidence, I uploaded this just today to my page:

(click me)

It's designed to give a beginner-level introduction to Shuttle operations and FG-specific, i.e. explains what procedures are actually implemented and how (where to find the buttons...) It refers to the most recent stable milestone-7 - which Richard will hopefully upload to FGAddon over the next few days.

Please note that while the manual is available free of charge for FG users, it is not licensed GPL, nor will it be.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:35 pm

The buttons does not working. I made it to lounge, but I fall right after that and also during liftoff was making rounds. Is that suposed to happend during it?
PavlinS

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:42 pm

There's over a hundred functioning buttons, switches and knobs in the Shuttle by now - I have no way of knowing which ones you mean as 'not working'. I also have no idea what version you are trying to launch. In addition I have no idea whether you tried to program automatic guidance or do it by hand. And I also have no idea what things you've been pressing before launch.

So I'm sorry but I really can't tell you what is supposed to happen in your case, you have to be a lot more specific.
Thorsten

Postby abassign » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:48 pm

It's really a great job this collection of articles on the space shuttle, I immediately wanted to report on my blog Fgfs Italy on Facebook, in the hope that other fans can appreciate it and maybe make a contribution!

Go on like this :) !

https://www.facebook.com/flightgearitalia/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

P.S:
I had no problem to download the compressed PDF, now the problem I will have to find the time to be able to experiencing with a plane-spacecraft so complex!

P.S P.S:
I remember that in 2019, 50 years have passed since the first moon landing, anyone wants to take Thorsten's job to make a Saturn V + Apollo LEM? And maybe even the legendary N1!
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:58 pm

PavlinS wrote in Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 am:I make only the pre-lounge checklist, than most of the commands for me are unknown- like how to verify DAP switch to RCS. Also:
Set LO2 mainfold pressurization valve closed.
Set proppelent dump sequence
Disconnect SRB's

FWIW, Stuart once posted instructions describing how to use any aircraft that uses the built-in checklists system to let the tutorial system illustrate the corresponding steps using markers - I think this feature was prominently mentioned in a number of reviews, so you may be able to let the tutorial system show you where the corresponding switches are (YMMV).

I am not familiar with the shuttle, but you may be able to determine who came up with the checklists/tutorials and if any of those use the <marker> tag currently: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Tutorials#Marker
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby PavlinS » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:42 pm:There's over a hundred functioning buttons, switches and knobs in the Shuttle by now - I have no way of knowing which ones you mean as 'not working'. I also have no idea what version you are trying to launch. In addition I have no idea whether you tried to program automatic guidance or do it by hand. And I also have no idea what things you've been pressing before launch.
ut
So I'm sorry but I really can't tell you what is supposed to happen in your case, you have to be a lot more specific.

I'm using flightgear 2016 2.1 . My computer is Lenovo Thinkpad T420 with intel core I5 processor and graphics Intel HD 3000. What I meant I was downloaded the shuttle from the FG hangar, that is located in the progrma itself. During Liftoff the shuttle is rotating all the time. I use Lounge guidence and autopilot for the hdg and the altitude, but the liftoff make on myself. Some times the shuttle is not separating the main engines and i canoot drop the external tank. The combinations ctrl plus Q,W or E does not work - the engines does not are starting with them. Sometimes the shuttle is teared apart before reaching the orbit. Sometimes it gaves me error massege, that a file is missing and the aircraft cannot continue, or stopping the simulator and appeared error massege that " Flightgear has stopped working" during the pre-lounge checklist. The tutorials are real, but I cannot understand most of the tings that they teach me and they are in a checklist form, no guide to where are this buttons. Really help with the manual! Thank you for that, but I do not understand such a difficult english to learn enough about the operations after reaching orbit. The shuttle does not make angle automatically and in most cases I do not make succesuful holding in the orbit. On the following link you can see a short flight with the shuttle in a chart and diagram:
http://mpserver15.flightgear.org/modules/fgtracker/?FUNCT=FLIGHT&FLIGHTID=6831210.
If you need pictures or video of all staff I made during lounge tell me!
PavlinS

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:42 am

Okay - the version currently on FGAddon predates the last stable milestone-7 (and the documentation) by about half a year or so. We have changed lots of the behavior to make it more realistic, for instance in the latest version you need Shift+i as engine ignition command, throttle won't work any more.

Richard promised to update FGAddon with milestone-7, so I guess you could just wait a few days and then work with the latest version.

During Liftoff the shuttle is rotating all the time.

The Shuttle rotates just after liftoff (basically right after clearing the gantry) to acquire launch course - basically it aims to point the tail fin into the launch azimuth and then pulls back from vertical - this brings it on course in inverted flight. The first 20 seconds of a launch are a pretty wild combination of rolling and yawing. 30 seconds into the flight, that should be over and you should be in inverted flight nose 78 degree up.

Sometimes it gaves me error massege, that a file is missing and the aircraft cannot continue, or stopping the simulator and appeared error massege that " Flightgear has stopped working" during the pre-lounge checklist.

If you get a file missing reported, in general you need to tell people which file it is.

On the following link you can see a short flight with the shuttle in a chart and diagram:

You tried a westward launch from a high latitude site, and the Shuttle doesn't have the performance to do these. I recommend another look into

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Flying_the_S ... h_tutorial

it's crucial for the launch guidance to find a viable solution that the tail fin of the Shuttle points into the Eastern hemisphere - keep this in mind if you want to launch from somewhere else in the world.

To spell it out - you initialized the simulation with the Shuttle pointed in a direction in which guidance can't find a viable solution eastward, so you go westward, but of course there's insufficient performance to reach orbit.

Try learning from Kennedy, switch to more exotic launch sites once you understand the basics.

The tutorials are real, but I cannot understand most of the tings that they teach me and they are in a checklist form, no guide to where are this buttons. Really help with the manual!

I'm afraid but you will have to read some technical manuals to fly a spacecraft, and the originals are all in English. I have no objection against a translation into different languages if someone wants to do it.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:45 am

FWIW, Stuart once posted instructions describing how to use any aircraft that uses the built-in checklists system to let the tutorial system illustrate the corresponding steps using markers

We don't do that - you actually have to go by the labels or tooltips.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:47 am

I don't remember all the details, but I think it was using handles to look up the 3D object and show a corresponding "marker" using the pick anmiation (?) - so it was fairly generic actually, and shouldn't require much manual work, beyond assigning identifiers to all switches - which may admittedly be tons of work meanwhile. But given that this is XML, we may be able to do this semi-automatically by using a script to patch up the XML files to make checklists/tutorials working together
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:48 am

We don't do it intentionally.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight