Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

Canvas ND on another aircraft than Boeing and Airbus

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

Re: Canvas ND on another aircraft than Boeing and Airbus

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:36 am

Here's the Airbus style:

Hooray wrote in Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:23 pm:Maybe Gijs or Hyde would also be willing to get those changes committed to the fgdata repository, so that people can more easily help develop/maintain new ND styles in the future.

Gijs and Hyde, could you please take a brief look and see if that breaks anything for you (if it does, please report back, if not, please commit those changes to fgdata): http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Protot ... ge_changes
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Hyde » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:19 pm

I've checked on 777 with this patch and not found any issue.
Gijs, Please check on 744 and push the change if it's OK.

Thanks,
Hyde
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS
Version: GIT

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:20 pm

Thanks for checking, let us know if there are any problems.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Gijs » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:31 pm

thanks for taking care of this, much appreciated !

For now, I will let this rest - but I am taking bug reports and feature requests - so anybody interested in creating a custom style, feel free to provide feedback to see if/how this can be made more useful, if in doubt add your ideas to the wiki article
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby clm76 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Can anyone help me to solve the bug on the radial VOR which is not updated on change of the property "instrumentation/nav/radials/selected_deg" ?
I'm working on since 4 days without result :(

clm76

Callsign: F-GCLM
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Like I said previously: we need to know, Is this issue specific to your changes or does it also appear with the default ND on the 744/772 ?
If in doubt, refer to the navdisplay code and its "controllers" for these things - these should trigger an update. If they don't, you have found a bug
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby clm76 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Same problem on the 777.
The Airbus A330 doesn't display the radial VOR.
clm76

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:18 pm

According to the code/property browser, the property name is selected-deg (dash/minus not underscore) - next, I would suggest to open the .mfd/.styles file and specifically look for any elements using that property and check the update predicate, for MapStructure layers proceed respectively - for debugging purposes, you can add print statements into the code to see if the code is getting called or not
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:02 pm

Hyde wrote in Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:19 pm:I've checked on 777 with this patch and not found any issue.
Gijs, Please check on 744 and push the change if it's OK.

FYI: That is one of the reasons why I implemented the dialog so that it can show multiple different styles at once - so that people can more easily test different styles, without having to exit/restart fgfs or load other aircraft - for example, the OP mentioned he was going to develop a CitationX style - with the new dialog, the corresponding changes can be tested simultaneously - i.e. to make sure that they don't break the Boeing/Airbus styles, while the CitationX style is still under development.

Likewise, this should also make it much more straightforward to test refactoring related changes, such as cleaning up navdisplay.mfd (think the update() loop) - because the dialog will reload your changes from disk, without having to exit/restart fgfs, and it will display all styles at once.

Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:52 pm

This is the current state, in terms of code it gets away with being under 200 LOC (Nasal obviously):

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Protot ... play_Style

I am considering to directlly add a new "Citation" mode to the styles file that can be populated by others - obviously, that will require a new SVG file (compass rose, symbols etc) - but otherwise, developing new ND styles, and refactoring the existing ND code should be fairly straightforward now, because it is easy to directly test all sorts of features without having to load different aircraft.

And in fact, depending on how this unfolds (and spare time permitting obviously), the whole thing could be turned into some kind of "NavDisplay style editor" or even some integrated wizard to easily create/update styles without even having to use a text editor, which is one of the benefits of the declarative *.styles approach, because that can be easily converted to become XML or some other format that can be easily supported using a front-end like this.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby clm76 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:49 am

I am considering to directlly add a new "Citation" mode to the styles file that can be populated by others - obviously, that will require a new SVG file (compass rose, symbols etc) -

It's a work in progress... but it takes a long time !!

I solved the problem with the radial vor !!!
For that, I followed the same method than the "range_dependant". I created a "course_dependant" for the VOR in the navdisplay.styles file and modified the navdisplay.mfd file to create "course_dependant_layers". It was also necessary to modify the VOR.symbol file.
The changes are identified by "##########" in the margin of each file.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/q8zbh8v3vd6nj2v/navdisplay.mfd
http://www.mediafire.com/file/562gfpkfv2h2f22/navdisplay.styles
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ktmb3jd5ts60x7z/VOR.symbol

For the Citation and not to pollute the originals navdisplay files, I created NdDisplay ... files which are copies of the originals.
clm76

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Are you familiar with using git, or if you aren't, would you be willing to review the corresponding tutorials on the wiki ?
If so, you could directly publish/share your changes via git (based on a fgdata clone ideally), so that they can be more easily reviewed/applied by Gijs and Hyde.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby clm76 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:57 pm

Are you familiar with using git,

Yes... but it seems that I have no access right
clm76

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:44 pm

You can set up your own fgdata clone via sourceforge (see the wiki article for details), so that we can track your progress there - which will make it much easier for Gijs or Hyde to review your changes and get them committed.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_G ... developers
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

PreviousNext

Return to Canvas