Board index FlightGear Support

Whatever happened to random radio chatter?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Whatever happened to random radio chatter?

Postby StuartC » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:22 pm

I remember having random recorded radio chatter available. The Option is there in 2016 2,1 in the sound options, but ther are no sound files for it.
I installed 2.10 on another system and grabbed the sound files and transplanted them into the correct directory in 2016 2,1. Ive found the "Chatter" options in prefs.xml and set it to true as well, but still here nohing.

Is there any way of getting this active again ?
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Re: Whatever happened to radom radio chatter??

Postby bugman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if this has something to do with the cleanup and purge of the $FG_ROOT/Models/ folder. This was part of the KSFO removal, and I helped restore a number of files to fix some other bugs. Are you able to investigate this further?

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:28 pm

it's been explicitly removed IIRC, it was discussed on the devel list a few months (?) ago
Curt gave his okay (he came up with the original Nasal solution)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Necolatis » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:31 pm

This was one of the best parts of Flightgear, I loved it. When I showed FG to my friends, that's the thing they were most impressed with, as it gave such a good sound atmosphere.

It would be nice if there was a package somewhere that we could just install and get it back.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:33 pm

it was removed in 2015, see fgdata commit: 81607f734e13add9be02816ddaec305d05bc4e47
and the devel list messages referenced in the commit log.

the other relevant commit is this: b60736ba7add2a7cd39af3d8a974d5be3ea46e8b

It would not be very difficult to restore this functionality, or even generalize/improve it significantly (which was the scope of the original discussion on the devel list)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:46 pm

I'd def. support restoring and improving it, especially if it could be linked to the AI system.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:51 pm

if it's not a popular idea around here, just get in touch with the fgmembers folks - Israel & co should be able to easily restore this and provide it to all people using fgmembers - or even provide some kind of tarball/addon for people not using fgmembers.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:25 pm

Well, considering FGMEMBERS is for planes, I doubt that :)
No more about this, please.
legoboyvdlp

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Just saying: it takes the same degree of knowledge (git "expertise") to restore an aircraft or a feature from fgdata - thus, somebody who doesn't know how to restore this feature, could be worse off than asking fgmembers to help with this, especially in the light of this feature having been deprecated by the FlightGear project (see the commit logs/devel list talks for details).

The restored functionality could be distributed as a tarball that is extracted into $FG_ROOT - alternatively, into $FG_HOME, because Nasal files there are treated as overlays, which basically means that you can install user-specific extensions there without having to tamper with $FG_ROOT, it would only take very minor changes to turn the chatter feature into a corresponding "addon" - not unlike fgcamera ...
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:20 pm

legoboyvdlp

Postby Hooray » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:15 pm

see, the whole thing can actually work out to be mutually beneficial - the relationship doesn't necessarily have to be "hostile" - i.e. if there are certain things/features that are no longer actively supported by the FlightGear project, or generally outside the domain/comfort zone of project, one could do worse than teaming up with like-minded folks who are interested in the corresponding functionality - and that holds true no matter if that feature is "random ATC chatter" or dedicated "combat support".
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby blcjr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm interested in this. I don't fly multiplayer, but would enjoy some random atc chatter (like I had a decade ago when I was flying MSFS). I applied the patch linked to in legoboyvdlp's post. This restored the ATC chatter checkbox. But I'm still not getting any radio chatter. Is this because I also need some audio files? If so, where would I find those? FWIW, ASOS/ATIS sounds work okay, which is a nice feature.

I suppose I could also ask: does it matter what frequency the radio is tuned to to get ATC chatter? Realistically, flying mostly uncontrolled airports, I would expect it on CTAF. Or do I have to be tuned to a controlled tower?
blcjr

Postby SVW » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:24 am

I would like to encourage all pilots to use FG as a simulator, i.e. participate in REAL aviation communication rather than listening to the ever same default blabla that serves as a sound curtain. It's all about communication! Join FG multiplayer events as a start, learn to spell correctly, learn the phrasings and dare to use it and speak up. Join VATSIM which is a super nice experience for all who are used to the small FG world. Don't fly around in an empty airspace like a lonesome computer nerd. Communicate with other real people and join the fun, it's absolutely worth to give it a try!

Cheers
svw.
SVW

Postby blcjr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:46 am

What about those who are primarily interested in general aviation, flying small planes in and out of uncontrolled fields? Is there a "REAL aviation communication" scenarioravailable for that?
Last edited by Johan G on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire preceding post
blcjr

Postby SVW » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Of course there is: use Mumble or Teamspeak on FG multiplayer for communication, or go for Vatsim. In real aviation you would inform traffic about what you're doing, so why not in simulation. Weird idea to listen to random "Gatwick TWR" calls while maybe getting your Skyhawk down somewhere in Italy :? I consider interacting with pilots and controllers much more important than superduper graphics to make a simulation feel the real thing.
SVW

Next

Return to Support