Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

DOOM (2016) - Graphics Study

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

DOOM (2016) - Graphics Study

Postby jarl.arntzen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:04 pm

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

Interesting insight in the rendering process of one frame under Vulcan and OpenGL.

How a Frame is Rendered

We’ll examine the scene below where the player attacks a Gore Nest defended by some Possessed enemies, right after obtaining the Praetor Suit at the beginning of the game.
Unlike most Windows games released these days, DOOM doesn’t use Direct3D but offers an OpenGL and Vulkan backend.
Vulkan being the new hot thing and Baldur Karlsson having recently added support for it in RenderDoc, it was hard resisting picking into DOOM internals. The following observations are based on the game running with Vulkan on a GTX 980 with all the settings on Ultra, some are guesses others are taken from the Siggraph presentation by Tiago Sousa and Jean Geffroy.
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Re: DOOM (2016) - Graphics Study

Postby Hooray » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks for sharing - however, Vulkan is really only ever going to be relevant in the context of FlightGear if its scenegraph implementation (OSG) supports it - and even then, there still is tons of legacy RAW OpenGL code in FlightGear that isn't even using OSG yet. And then there's tons of groundwork that needs to happen for FlightGear to make better use of the GPU/CPU (idle cores) - so it's not like Vulkan is going to magically solve FlightGear problems or provide much better performance. Let's keep in in that the original PLIB->OSG migration started pretty much exactly a decade ago, and still hasn't been completed yet.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:37 pm

I just posted in another thread that I have no time to update my system because I am busy developing. Well, truth be told, I just finished beating this game, what a blast.
Great game, I'd recommend it to anyone that loves to run, gun and blow things up.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby jarl.arntzen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:13 pm:Thanks for sharing - however, Vulkan is really only ever going to be relevant in the context of FlightGear if its scenegraph implementation (OSG) supports it - and even then, there still is tons of legacy RAW OpenGL code in FlightGear that isn't even using OSG yet.

Yes. For me, this is mostly the joy of sharing a well presented walkthrough of all the steps involved in one frame of DOOM. At least I am picking up a thing or two - for example: fewer, large textures are better than many small ones and the way static geometry calculations are kept between frames.
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Hooray » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:37 pm

to concept of a textures atlas was recently also covered by Stuart and others on the devel list, I think they/we began using it a while ago (?)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby bugman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:44 pm

I have shifted the spaceflight related posts to:

Regards,
Edward
bugman