Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby Hooray » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:46 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:28 am:Hooray sketched it:

you can set up a font mapper, and you can set up an appropriate osgText/CanvasText hierarchy and then use props.copy() to use that as a template

(don't ask me to translate it... it'd take some delving into things).

I wonder if there's a cheaper hack just re-defining the font mapping function on the canvas directly... But it seems the canvas developers did not forsee the need to do font changes by group :-(

This might be an idea that should be added to the wiki to preserve the idea - it should be relatively straightforward to support the font-property per group and recursively dispatch the event to all child elements - I haven't looked at the source code in months, but I'd be surprised if it takes more than 10 lines of C++ code to change the Canvas::Element/Group classes to dispatch the font-mapper property recursively - it should be sufficient to look at other events (properties) that trigger recursive updates (event handling comes to mind).

Broadly speaking, in the C++ code, there is the equivalent of a listener registered that parses the name of the modified property in the Canvas sub-tree hierarchy, if it matches a name that is mapped to a supported event, it will then process that event by parsing the value of the corresponding property, and then recursively call the corresponding event handler for it child elements.

What this means is that the sc::Group code would need to be extended to specifically dispatch font-mapping related updates to all Canvas::Text child elements.

Anybody interested in having a look should review the CanvasText.cxx file, which implements a base class inheriting from Canvas::Element (in SimGear/canvas), the font-mapping stuff should be in there - it would need to be reviewed, generalized and also added to sc::CanvasGroup.cxx

HTH
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:34 pm

In case I failed to mention it, I really hate debugging the RMS arm code - lots of nested trigonometry with plenty of possible angles...
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Wayne has done it - the rear flight deck mesh is in.

Lots of work ahead with texturing and making it functional, but one big step is taken.
Thorsten

Postby Richard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm:Wayne has done it - the rear flight deck mesh is in.

Lots of work ahead with texturing and making it functional, but one big step is taken.

A big well done to Wayne. This is indeed a giant leap.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby amalahama » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Excellent!!! Are the UV maps available?

Regards!
amalahama

Postby Octal450 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:26 am

Looks spectacular!

Once I get a better joystick, and spare time, I really should learn this!

Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:06 am

amalahama wrote in Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:45 pm:Excellent!!! Are the UV maps available?

No maps yet, just minimal temporary mapping.

A big well done to Wayne.

Richard deserves plenty of credit here. His efforts prepping the overhead and rear assembly made it easy.

Thanks Richard!

A heads up to anyone pulling the development branch expecting to play with this. Beware, it is really a heavy load right now. There are plans to deal with this in the not to distant future.
Last edited by wlbragg on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby bugman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:35 am

Awesome work! I wouldn't be surprised now if one day I see a walker with NASA suit going down to the mid deck, and sitting on a fully functional toilet ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:45 am

Been trying to prod Detlef to rig the walker with a space suit for a while, but I've never considered writing a toilet systems definition :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:35 pm

You should consider it Thorsten as there's a heck of a lot of sh!t effluent surrounding this shuttle....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Hooray » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Bomber wrote in Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:35 pm:You should consider it Thorsten as there's a heck of a lot of sh!t effluent surrounding this shuttle....

for the record, I find this very funny (indeed).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Bomber » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm glad as that was the intention.... just a bit of light humour.

We can argue in another topic, I have no interest in doing so here.... and if Thorsten or anyone else thinks it should be removed, they're quite welcome to without any comeback from me.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:24 pm

it0uchpods wrote in Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:26 am:Looks spectacular!

Once I get a better joystick, and spare time, I really should learn this!

Josh

It's actually better under keyboard :)
It is the sort of plane where what you do 30 seconds ago is now responding.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:39 pm

For the rate-controlled DAPs, keyboard actually works better. I guess if you want to test the pulsed modes, a stick which you can flick back and forth is superior (don't have one though...)

The most important thing is the deadband - it's crucial that you can perfectly center controls (which is why mouse really doesn't work in orbit).
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:17 am

Been investing some effort into de-orbit planning.

The Shuttle has the innocent REI parameters shown on the DEORBIT MNVR page, which, if you enter an OMS burn plan in OPS 3, shows the range from the predicted entry interface for that plan to the landing site (it's rather neat, because you want this to be some 4000 miles, so if it's not you can play with the burn plan parameters, change ignition time or Delta v till it comes out okay - of course in reality mission control would usually tell you what burn plan to enter anyway... but that's how you can do it on-board).

Calculating this is not as innocent as it sounds - the intersection of an elliptical orbit after the burn with a radius of 400.000 ft above mean Earth radius is - but then again, the burn is never instantaneous (I'm taking some 170 seconds to de-orbit from ISS orbit into a KSC solution) - so the simple impulse approximation for the ellipse after the burn is wrong. Earth is not a sphere but has sizable radius variations with latitude - so the surface of 400.000 ft altitude is not particularly simple. And of course the whole planet rotates during the time you coast from de-orbit burn to entry interface, resulting in yet another correction. The time you take to descend from original orbit to EI is also not that simple to compute because velocity increases as you descend, so it leads to an integral equation.

Putting some of these in, my last try missed the predicted REI by just 120 miles - given the cross range of the Shuttle is ten times that, that's easily within what the entry autopilot can compensate for. If you imagine that every second timing offset immediately causes about 4.5 miles range offset and we're doing targeting from more than half a world away that's not so bad.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight