Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

OSGEarth integrate in Linux Ubuntu

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

OSGEarth integrate in Linux Ubuntu

Postby abassign » Mon May 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Want to know if now osgEarth work with version of FGFs for Linux (3.5), and in particular with the version in Ubuntu / debian.
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Re: OSGEarth integrate in Linux Ubuntu

Postby pommesschranke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:28 am

me too
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby DF_Hammack » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:29 pm

FlightGear is already an incredible, great flight sim. Kudos and many thanks to all the hard working developers! This could make it out of this world, but I need some clearer instructions. Info is scattered all over the place. You have to go on a treasure hunt to even get started. I am running Linux Mint 18. I installed osgEarth from the Ubuntu repository. Hopefully this will eliminate some of the mess of compiling this mess, but I don't see how at the moment. I am not a git user, and when I try to clone the repositories, I don't have the password. Might it be possible to put up a FlightGear Romeo repository for osgEarth at Ubuntu?
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:34 pm

If you know how to patch the source code, you can pretty much send it to Launchpad and it will compile the program for you. Rather like the Ubuntu PPA.

P.S. Ask @Saiarcot895
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Actually, it's all been patched/rebased recently, see the gitlab topic branches that poweroftwo is maintaining - thus, all you have to do is to add the corresponding remotes to your git repositories and then install osgEarth and rebuild sg/fg accordingly

https://gitlab.com/u/poweroftwo
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby zacarias » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:01 am

I'm sorry, but...

Is there a clear tutorial of how to install and use OSGEarth with FG on Ubuntu or Mint? From the beginning to the end? I seem only to find bits of info here and there, and not one "OSGEarth Linux integration for dummies..."
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
zacarias

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:40 pm

If you don't have any previous experience building software from source, and using git, you are facing a steep learning curve.
Thus, your best is some scripted solution (think d&c) - otherwise, you will definitely work through a number of tutorial to understand what needs to be done
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Amarildojr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:17 pm

Unfortunately nobody seems interested in it, at least that's a reflection on that horribly outdated Wiki page which has instructions to build a very old version of OsgEarth.

First, the links have changed several months ago. It's not hosted on Gitorious, it's on Gitlab.
https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo

Secondly, Jeff has a ton of branches. It's a mess trying to figure out what to build and why.

Thirdly, if you follow the Wiki's exact instructions (considering you have somewhat of a correct git repo link) you'll bork your install, so don't do it.

I tried building OsgEarthNext, no dice, it fails to build (even though I've configured the prefixes via DCMAKE).
The latest commit was to the branch "2016.2.0-KDIS". Tried to build that too, didn't happen.

I've built and installed osgearth system-wide from https://github.com/gwaldron/osgearth with no problems.
I've build dozens of different packages already, I patch all of them (linux-4.10-wip is an example) no problems that I couldn't figure out how to fix them. Osg from Jeff, however, fails every time.

I was able to edit the download_and_compile script and put the following lines in there, which aparently results in a sucess build, but I think NONE of the Jeff's current branches are able to build against FlightGear built from Git.

Code: Select all
git remote add 2016.2.0-OsgEarth https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo/flightgear-osgearth.git
    git fetch 2016.2.0-OsgEarth
    git checkout --track -b poweroftwo/2016.2.0-OsgEarth

I swapped this "2016.2.0-OsgEarth" branch by many others and the result is the same: no plugin.

It goes like this to me (just pasting simgear's section here):
#######################################################
# SIMGEAR
#######################################################
SIMGEAR_INSTALL_DIR=simgear
INSTALL_DIR_SIMGEAR=$INSTALL_DIR/$SIMGEAR_INSTALL_DIR
cd "$CBD"
if [[ "$(declare -p WHATTOBUILD)" =~ '['([0-9]+)']="SIMGEAR"' ]]; then
  echo "****************************************" | tee -a $LOGFILE
  echo "**************** SIMGEAR ***************" | tee -a $LOGFILE
  echo "****************************************" | tee -a $LOGFILE

mkdir -p "simgear"
  cd "$CBD"/simgear
  _gitDownload git://git.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/simgear
  _gitUpdate $FGVERSION
  git remote rm origin
  git remote add 2016.2.0-OsgEarth https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo/flightgear-osgearth.git
  git fetch 2016.2.0-OsgEarth
  git checkout --track -b poweroftwo/2016.2.0-OsgEarth

if [ "$RECONFIGURE" = "y" ]; then
    cd "$CBD"
    mkdir -p build/simgear
    cd "$CBD"/build/simgear
    rm -f CMakeCache.txt
    "$CMAKE" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="$BUILD_TYPE" \
          -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH="$INSTALL_DIR_SIMGEAR" \
          -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="$INSTALL_DIR_OSG;$INSTALL_DIR_OPENRTI" \
     $SG_CMAKEARGS \
          ../../simgear 2>&1 | tee -a $LOGFILE
  fi

_make simgear
fi

It builds but no osgearth plugin on FlightGear exists, so I guess it's not ready yet, specially since he's still at version 2016.2 and I'm on 2016.4 which are several months apart.

So yeah, either this software is still very buggy, or it wants some very specific things to work. It just won't build itself.
I've tried at least a dozen different DCMAKE prefixes, none work. Just an example:

cmake \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/amarildo/Documents/Jogos/FlightGear/Build/simgear/ \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/amarildo/Documents/Jogos/FlightGear/Build/flightgear/ \
    -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/amarildo/Documents/Jogos/FlightGear/Build/install/simgear/ \
    -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/amarildo/Documents/Jogos/FlightGear/Build/openscenegraph/ \
    -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/amarildo/Documents/Jogos/FlightGear/Build/simgear/ \
    -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/amarildo/Documents/Jogos/FlightGear/Build/install/simgear/include/simgear/

Another thing is it wants "RBODY" which doesn't exist in my system.
Amarildojr

Callsign: TAM91

Postby Johan G » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Amarildojr wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:17 pm:Unfortunately nobody seems interested in it, at least that's a reflection on that horribly outdated Wiki page which has instructions to build a very old version of OsgEarth.

If you do not have a wiki account, please get one. Even as little as adding an {{out of date}} template would be helpful. ;) If you would at some point figure out how to make it work and can document the process, all the better. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Amarildojr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Johan G wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm:If you do not have a wiki account, please get one. Even as little as adding an {{out of date}} template would be helpful. ;) If you would at some point figure out how to make it work and can document the process, all the better. :)

Thanks but I've never edited a Wiki before, I'm very scared to do something wrong for the community :( In my PC it's fine, I have backups of everything if I mess something.

I'm doing my best trying to build FG-git with osgEarth integration, but unfortunately I'm unable to do so. Since I'm a newbie to all this, I'd expect the developers to actually get this working before the users :wink: (otherwise only the developers will have figured out how to build this and it will still seem as if they don't care for anyone else).
Amarildojr

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:40 pm

FWIW: osm stuff is being worked into FGFS... it will take some more time but it looks like it is coming... it is not osgearth, though, but it appears that buildings, roads and numerous other osm objects will eventually be available... with the recent and upcoming code changes in FGFS, i would expect that the osgearth stuff is already woefully out of date and unable to be applied any more... at least not like it was at one time...

[edit: osg -> osm ]
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Amarildojr wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:31 pm:[...] I've never edited a Wiki before, I'm very scared to do something wrong for the community :(

I have yet to see an article being messed up bad enough that it can not be reverted to the previous revision in the page history. :P

As a teaser you could skim though the pages linked to from the main help page of the FlightGear wiki Help:Contents. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:52 pm

A number of us are using it, and it is working just fine last I checked - but like I said, you definitely need to be familiar with git, cmake etc - outdated URLs are just a minor thing in comparison to what you really need to understand.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Amarildojr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:57 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:40 pm:FWIW: osm stuff is being worked into FGFS... it will take some more time but it looks like it is coming... it is not osgearth, though, but it appears that buildings, roads and numerous other osm objects will eventually be available... with the recent and upcoming code changes in FGFS, i would expect that the osgearth stuff is already woefully out of date and unable to be applied any more... at least not like it was at one time...

[edit: osg -> osm ]

Thanks! I'd love to see some building variations!

This is what I love about FG, it keeps evolving and is better with each release.

Johan G wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm:
Amarildojr wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:31 pm:[...] I've never edited a Wiki before, I'm very scared to do something wrong for the community :(

I have yet to see an article being messed up bad enough that it can not be reverted to the previous revision in the page history. :P

As a teaser you could skim though the pages linked to from the main help page of the FlightGear wiki Help:Contents. :wink:

Thanks :P But first I have to actually get it to build. If both old and new pages point to a non-working build/integration, they're both useless IMO.
Amarildojr

Postby Amarildojr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:04 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:52 pm:A number of us are using it, and it is working just fine last I checked - but like I said, you definitely need to be familiar with git, cmake etc - outdated URLs are just a minor thing in comparison to what you really need to understand.

You could, for example, point where I'm wrong in this post :) That way I can try building it the correct way.
Amarildojr

Next

Return to osgEarth