Board index FlightGear Support Flying

FlightGear v2.0.0 F-14 Cannot Auto wing sweep?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

FlightGear v2.0.0 F-14 Cannot Auto wing sweep?

Postby Thundr_pry_brd » Mon May 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

I am using a legacy version of FlightGear b/c my crappy laptop cannot handle "modern" versions of FlightGear, it will not run those above 10 frames/second.

It's using an integrated Graphics Card (Radeon HD 3200) along with and AMD Athlon Athlon x2 64 microprocessor, it has 256 megabytes of graphics memory, and ~1.4 GB of shared graphics memory. Therefore it cannot run FlightGear v2.0.1 and above without slideshow framerates.

My Computer runs Windows Vista with all the Service Packs

Is there a way that i could modify the game files to bind a manual wing sweep function to my keyboard? What application could I use, b/c notepad doesn't seem to be able to save edits to any file type other than .txt files.

Unless there is a way to fix the F-14 without installing a newer version of FlightGear.

Thanks.
Thundr_pry_brd

Re: FlightGear v2.0.0 F-14 Cannot Auto wing sweep?

Postby Richard » Fri May 27, 2016 12:14 am

Thundr_pry_brd wrote in Mon May 23, 2016 7:58 pm:Unless there is a way to fix the F-14 without installing a newer version of FlightGear.

I've just spent all evening putting together a FG2.0 only version of the current F-14.

It does fly and most of the major functions related to flight are working however it isn't supported[1], and things may not work, it's V1.0 with V1.3 aerodynamics / flight dynamics.

----------------
[1] Not exactly sure why I spent the time doing this as it probably will have a userbase of 1....
Richard

Version: Git

Postby dilbert » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:30 pm

I think you're making a mistake trying to use a legacy 2.1 version. The flightgear community has done outstanding work and made great improvements since 2.1.2. One of my older machines is an AMD-4-5000 1.8 MHz machine with 4 meg of ram using Win 8. I reinstalled 2016.2.1, and while it loads a little slower than my newer machines, the f14 flies ok with the possible exception of an occasional brief frame freeze in the highest scenery density areas, so I recommend 2016.2.1 using the default scenery plus selecting "automatic scenery downloading" (terra sync) under "settings" for everywhere else. Vista At Home should handle 4 meg of ram in 32 bit and 8 meg in 64 bit. You really do need at least 4 MEG of RAM. First, I strongly recommend unpinning any app you don't really need from the start menu, if you haven't already done so, as you can manually select it if you really want to use it. On the machine mentioned above, half the ram was being consumed by Windows and apps pre-pinned to the start menu right out of the box. I also note there are a number of desktop Intel I3 machines available with 4 to 8 meg ram and windows 7 or higher certified or refurbished on the internet in $150 range. Most of these machines won't accommodate a video card because of power supply and case length, but the on board graphics, while not super spiffy, are adequate (they don't look half bad on my old Intel Celeron laptop), and with adequate ram (4 meg minimum 8 meg plenty) 2016.2.1 will run on even the least fast (2x3.4 ghz) I3 just fine, if you are examining other options and on a tight budget.
Good luck and happy flying.

P.S. If you decide to install a newer version clean out every vestige of the old version.This will include:

1. run the uninstall routine in the flightgear folder.
2. in C go to users\"your computer's name" [as you assigned it during original start up]\app data\roaming\and delete the flightgear.org file. (this prevents obsolete startup information from interfering with the new program)
3. in C run search for $FG, which will turn up a bunch of obsolete leftover files, including old error reports, fgruns, etc.
Delete all of them. The newer versions are better about not leaving so much junk on your hard drive, but if you've
been running a 2.1 version you probably have a fair number to remove.

Checked my wife's laptop, which runs on Vista and confirmed that in C it has both "program files" for 64 bit programs and "program files (86)" for 32 bit programs, so from an operating system standpoint it should run 2016.2.1 OK. Would point out that in 32 bit you're only using 1/2 of your 2X processor; and I suspect that doubling the processing capacity by running in 64 bit, you would more than make up for the processing toll of any Flight Gear Modifications and improvements since 2.1. Regarding 2.1 cleanout, Couldn't confirm what the path would be to flightgear.org in Vista as don't have Flightgear installed on that machine; so if it's different in Vista than what I mentioned above you might have to run "search" to find it.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby Thundr_pry_brd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:05 am

dilbert wrote in Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:30 pm:I think you're making a mistake trying to use a legacy 2.1 version. The flightgear community has done outstanding work and made great improvements since 2.1.2. One of my older machines is an AMD-4-5000 1.8 MHz machine with 4 meg of ram using Win 8. I reinstalled 2016.2.1, and while it loads a little slower than my newer machines, the f14 flies ok with the possible exception of an occasional brief frame freeze in the highest scenery density areas, so I recommend 2016.2.1 using the default scenery plus selecting "automatic scenery downloading" (terra sync) under "settings" for everywhere else. Vista At Home should handle 4 meg of ram in 32 bit and 8 meg in 64 bit. You really do need at least 4 MEG of RAM. First, I strongly recommend unpinning any app you don't really need from the start menu, if you haven't already done so, as you can manually select it if you really want to use it. On the machine mentioned above, half the ram was being consumed by Windows and apps pre-pinned to the start menu right out of the box. I also note there are a number of desktop Intel I3 machines available with 4 to 8 meg ram and windows 7 or higher certified or refurbished on the internet in $150 range. Most of these machines won't accommodate a video card because of power supply and case length, but the on board graphics, while not super spiffy, are adequate (they don't look half bad on my old Intel Celeron laptop), and with adequate ram (4 meg minimum 8 meg plenty) 2016.2.1 will run on even the least fast (2x3.4 ghz) I3 just fine, if you are examining other options and on a tight budget.
Good luck and happy flying.

P.S. If you decide to install a newer version clean out every vestige of the old version.This will include:

1. run the uninstall routine in the flightgear folder.
2. in C go to users\"your computer's name" [as you assigned it during original start up]\app data\roaming\and delete the flightgear.org file. (this prevents obsolete startup information from interfering with the new program)
3. in C run search for $FG, which will turn up a bunch of obsolete leftover files, including old error reports, fgruns, etc.
Delete all of them. The newer versions are better about not leaving so much junk on your hard drive, but if you've
been running a 2.1 version you probably have a fair number to remove.

Checked my wife's laptop, which runs on Vista and confirmed that in C it has both "program files" for 64 bit programs and "program files (86)" for 32 bit programs, so from an operating system standpoint it should run 2016.2.1 OK. Would point out that in 32 bit you're only using 1/2 of your 2X processor; and I suspect that doubling the processing capacity by running in 64 bit, you would more than make up for the processing toll of any Flight Gear Modifications and improvements since 2.1. Regarding 2.1 cleanout, Couldn't confirm what the path would be to flightgear.org in Vista as don't have Flightgear installed on that machine; so if it's different in Vista than what I mentioned above you might have to run "search" to find it.

With All due respect, I would not be running Flightgear 2.0.0 if i had not known that the latest version would not be able to run on my PC...Framerate drops are unacceptable to me furthermore "8 MEGS".... You mean 8 GIGABYTES don't you?

I've honestly tried to run 3.4 on my laptop before, the performance was.....welll.... less than satisfactory. With framerates hardly ever higher than 3 FPS

Your laptop utilized 2011 era APU technology, the A4-5000 is far, FAR, more powerful than an AMD64 x2 QL60, which is early 2006 technology, there is a full five year GAP,

I am not making any mistake by running a legacy version of flightgear, I was simply looking for a decent Flight Sim for a low performance computer.
Thundr_pry_brd

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 am

What application could I use, b/c notepad doesn't seem to be able to save edits to any file type other than .txt files.

Just in case your still looking for this answer, Just rename the .txt to whatever you need it to be. It is still just an ascii text file,
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Richard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 am

Thundr_pry_brd wrote in Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:05 am:With All due respect, I would not be running Flightgear 2.0.0

Richard wrote in Fri May 27, 2016 12:14 am:
Thundr_pry_brd wrote in Mon May 23, 2016 7:58 pm:Unless there is a way to fix the F-14 without installing a newer version of FlightGear.

I've just spent all evening putting together a FG2.0 only version of the current F-14.

It does fly and most of the major functions related to flight are working however it isn't supported[1], and things may not work, it's V1.0 with V1.3 aerodynamics / flight dynamics.

----------------
[1] Not exactly sure why I spent the time doing this as it probably will have a userbase of 1....

Not sure if you ever tried the 2.0 version of the F-14 that I put together for you. It should have manual wingsweep, controlled by < > or mouse wheel on the wingsweep gauge. Let me know if you have downloaded it and if it works for you.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Thundr_pry_brd wrote in Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:05 am:I am not making any mistake by running a legacy version of flightgear, I was simply looking for a decent Flight Sim for a low performance computer.

you cannot expect to run any updated or modern craft in that old simulator version, then... whatever craft it comes with and whatever bugs they carry, that's what you are stuck with... along with little to no support :(
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby sim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Nothing wrong with flying FlightGear ver 2016 planes or even older FG versions. They're all fun and don't suppose the planes then were any more buggy than the latest lot. Often it can be fun to dip into an older version buggy plane's FDM and get it to fly better. :wink:
For example the C150 in even older FlightGear version 0.9.10 can be given a performance boost by using the Cessna 172 engine code and then tweaking the FDM elevator characteristics will enable the C150 to fly inverted. Plus the same old C150 will fly quite happily in later FG versions! 8)

sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Return to Flying