Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Request: Canary Islands custom scenery and airports

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Request: Canary Islands custom scenery and airports

Postby flycanarias » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Hello out there,
as a supporter and enthusiast for the Canary Islands, I want to request if there is a custom scenery out there, probably with HD textures, or airport buildings?
I know that lukashangar provides Tenerife Norte (GCXO) and La Palma (GCLA) airport buildings, but however, these files don't work at my systems.
Aside from the airport buildings, there is still the problem with the different scenery and textures on each island. The islands are very different in vegetation, e.g. Fuerteventura is a desert, with hardly any trees, while there are woods all over La Palma or Hierro...
Is anyone working on these beautiful islands, or has a custom scenery hidden anywhere?? :D
Have a nice day,
Yours flycanarias
flycanarias

Re: Request: Canary Islands custom scenery and airports

Postby VicMar » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:38 am

Hi,

As you seem to have a lot of local knowledge about the Canaries, Your help would be appreciated if you start modelling them.

Read through the rules/limitations at the top of the Scenery page, download SketchUp or Blender and have a go.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby flycanarias » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:55 am

Hi,
you're right, I have some knowledge about the islands, especially about Fuerteventura and Lanzarote... But I don't know anything about modelling, development of scenery or these things...
What I'd done so far was comparing the coastlines and mountains to the real life, and the model matches up pretty good to the reality... (Also the airport locations and conditions fit quite well)
So the main issues to do are:
- texturing the islands according to their vegetation.
- creating better roads and cities.( Houses there are mostly white, not the default ones.)
- creating airport buildings (done for GCGM, GCXO,
GCLA)
That would make the Canaries a very very nice location to fly... (Many airports in a small region, good for short flights and training approaches or landings)
I can offer some satellite pictures, and local knowledge, but I am not yet ready to make the scenery... So my plan is, to get some people together, helping to develop that beautiful region.
Regards
flycanarias
Canary Islands Custom Scenery
Improvement of the AI Traffic for the Canary Islands Region
RoutePlans for the Eastern Atlantic (Azores, Madeira, Cap Verde, Canaries)
About to open a Binter Canarias VA
flycanarias

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:26 am

I have in the past done some effors about the canarias, I've done new material definitions (-> terrain textures) and airport buildings for Gomera and El Hierro, I'll try to find it again :D
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:32 am

Some of these airports are nicely modelled by some authors, by the time aren't in Terrasync but it can't be difficult to convert it to terrasync standards if permissions and GPLed licenses are provided. Chech that page for some works.
PS: What do you mean that some files of lukas hangar airports don't work in your system?? For me looks ok!
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:45 am

Hihi, that's my site :D (islandair).
I'm atm converting them to ts standarts :D
D-ECHO

Postby flycanarias » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:03 am

Sounds great!
Please post some screenshots, when you found it!
So we got so far: Tenerife Norte, La Palma, Gomera, and Hierro airport!! Missing: Tenerife Sur, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura...
I know that lukashangar started to work on Lanzarote and Gran Canaria airport, a long time ago... Maybe he has some data and wants to share it with us... I'll write him a direct message...
@D-ECHO : have you worked on the whole Island of Hierro?? It's basically very volcanic-rocky, there are only few canary-pine woods, and it would be much more realistic if it would contain these textures.
BtW, good work! Go on with that!!!
@Catalonic: I think they look pretty good, but they don't appear in my system, I have downloaded them, installed them in the Mac launcher custom scenery, and it doesn't work... Should I transfer them to the Scenery>Airports file directly??
Last edited by flycanarias on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
flycanarias

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:04 am

That would be great D-ECHO, can you confirm GCLA, GCGM, GCHI, GCLB (appeared on your web) will be converted and submitted to terrasync in short/long term? When finish, please send a PM or email to me or ludomotico to check which airports are done to not work by duplicate, we've a map/list for that. I'll concentrate my efforts on airports for Portugal and mainland Spain (also Balearic islands if possible).
@flycanarias: Maybe that wiki article can help you how to install custom scenery.
Catalanoic

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 am

This is how the objects I placed look atm
Unfortunately the airport area is too small so the objects are flying or cars are driving over void :(. As soon as I get tg to work again, I'll re-generate it with a better airport layout. As Gomera is an island, I will try to submit the overall-work to terrasync when ready.
For the time being, you can try my old cs generated by ludomotico IIRC: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25828&p=237657&hilit=Gomera#p237657
Regards
D-ECHO

Postby flycanarias » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 am

Oh that looks very nice!!! Guess we Canary Islands pilots will have quite a lot of fun in the future!!
flycanarias

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:33 am

OK D-ECHO, the work there is OK for me. Sinking objects with a old-layout airport is a well-know issue, by the time you can have a repostory with custom new regenerations (like custom packages, TerraGIT...) and have the hope these works will fit with official regenerations, but that don't means we have to stop scenery/objects works. If you need help with specific modelling tell me, please.
Catalanoic

Texturing La Gomera

Postby flycanarias » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey D-ECHO, I know it's a lot of work, but are you able to retexture Gomera totally? The Island is very green, especially in the caldera, it's covered with dense canary pine trees. At the coast, there are some beaches and palm trees, the kind you used at the airport.
Regards...
flycanarias

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Hierro:
(with project3000)
Will be submitted to terrasync...

[EDIT]About the textures, I've already tried it some time ago when I visited Gomera in my holidays :D (see the link provided some posts above)
D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:17 pm

This is how Gomera looks with the texture package from above installed:
(for the white parts I had textures which I can't find anymore)
PS: Guten Tag :D
D-ECHO

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:47 pm

These textures looks like that page, i don't know its from the same project/author but you can retrieve some of these 'lost' textures. But i'm impressed that some people here is interested on the area!
Catalanoic

Next

Return to Scenery