Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

v0 landclasses

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

v0 landclasses

Postby SHM » Mon May 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Disclaimer:
  • Thorsten stay away
  • This is not to start any argument, but for Terragear Artists who need the shapefiles
  • The note about the GPL is since you blame FGmembers for copyright violation,

Hi All,
For those that know what the v0 Landclasses are no need for introduction.

For those that do not know:
The Landclasses are the most important piece of source-code in the creation of Flightgear Scenery alogn with the elevation data. Landclasses encoded the "type" of terrain of the world, in classes assigned by pixels and edited with QGIS.

without the proper landclasses, reconstructing FG terrain is impossible -- merely due to the lack of proper Source files.

Flightgear uses several type of landclasses; The default (called v0), a custom scenery landclass (calles cs1), OSM for roads and sometimes coastlines (osm) and corine (a highly detail set of landclases for Europe only) -- those are the ones I Know.

While OSM and Corine are 3rd party and available elsewhere (google it), both v0 and cs1 are Flightgear specific.

A few months back, the Scenery database (https://scenery.flightgear.org/) stopped distributing both v0 and cs1. Apparently due to a local hardware issue, later to be recognized that one collaborator is withholding the data.

I want to recall that some long-time developers of FligthGear cry amok over copyright violations, while doing all the violations themselves. In the GPL letter, source files must be available, if not by default, at least by request.

GPL FAQ: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en. ... stedPublic wrote:Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public? (#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic)
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

Considering that most USA offered in terrasync uses the cs1 landclasses, the project stands in GPL violation by not offering widely the cs1 landclasses.
Considering the rest of the World offered in terrasync uses the v0 landclasses ...

In any case.

Fortunately, I had in an old hard-drive and a few obscure internet links, full access to the v0-landclasses;
Which FGMEMBERS now proudly offers back to the community of FG scenery creators to build with freedom

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-TERRAGIT?u ... 3&query=v0
Scenery Developer of terraGit (much better than terrasync)
SHM

Callsign: SM
Version: 2016.1.1

Re: v0 landclasses

Postby psadro_gm » Mon May 02, 2016 5:43 pm

8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby erik » Mon May 02, 2016 5:56 pm

SHM wrote in Mon May 02, 2016 5:17 pm:A few months back, the Scenery database (https://scenery.flightgear.org/) stopped distributing both v0 and cs1. Apparently due to a local hardware issue, later to be recognized that one collaborator is withholding the data.

Will you please stop spreading lies?

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 02, 2016 6:13 pm

The note about the GPL is since you blame FGmembers for copyright violation,

It's been established without a doubt that Israel removed a copyright and license notice and thus 'made' a project GPL, there's documented instance of planes on the FGMembers repository distributed under GPL containing copyrighted material with the copyright notice still present,... so there's no question of 'blaming' here. FGMembers has repeatedly and at least in one case intentionally violated copyright (it's kind of hard to 'accidentially' delete a license note...)

In other matters, please refrain from enlarging your fonts in the future - my eye-sight is just fine and I can read normal fonts. Let's please state what we have to say like adults without using the forum equivalent of shouting in a very loud voice.
Thorsten

Postby SHM » Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 pm

@erik
I am glad this is a lie. Can you point me to cs1 sources please. I need them to better rebuild USA for terraGIT

@Thorsten I dont care what you write!
SHM

Postby statto » Mon May 02, 2016 6:27 pm

SHM wrote in Mon May 02, 2016 5:17 pm:While OSM and Corine are 3rd party and available elsewhere (google it), both v0 and cs1 are Flightgear specific.

Neither of these are Flightgear-specific. v0 files are freely available for download if you know where to look.

Also, I created the cs_ sources for the United States, and these never made it into Terrasync: they have stopped being distributed, and there is no obligation to continue distributing them, as they never became a core part of Flightgear.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 02, 2016 6:34 pm

@Thorsten I dont care what you write!

Which is a strange attitude, as it precludes learning something new. But, face it, you're not the only one reading this thread and I'm primarily interested in setting the facts straight. So, as vexing as this might be for you - this isn't about you ;-)
Thorsten

Postby SHM » Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm

The moment you enter a flame war begins. That is what I observed.
SHM

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Has it occurred to you that starting a thread accusing FG (wrongly) of withholding public domain data is in fact a viable way of starting a flamewar? Or did you really just intend a friendly post and somehow got astray?
Thorsten

Postby statto » Mon May 02, 2016 6:40 pm

SHM wrote in Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm:The moment you enter a flame war begins. That is what I observed.

Let's be clear here, you made an incredibly inflammatory post.
statto

Postby Alant » Mon May 02, 2016 11:41 pm

SHM wrote in Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm:The moment you enter a flame war begins. That is what I observed.

Not surprising how you stared this thread. What else did you expect?
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby erik » Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 am

SHM wrote in Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 pm:@erik
I am glad this is a lie. Can you point me to cs1 sources please. I need them to better rebuild USA for terraGIT

No, I don't have them and I've never done any serious scenery generation work.
And the person you're talking about has stated that he had never the intention to keep the data for himself, just that it takes time. And since he left scenery development he rather spends his time with his wife and young kid.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby D-ECHO » Tue May 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Although I am not quite sure if it is up-to-date, here is also v0-data available: ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/TGShapes/ (linked from custom-scenery.org)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby erik » Tue May 03, 2016 1:59 pm

I did found this though: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28994#p278598

Erik
erik

Postby statto » Tue May 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Yes, that's the data generated from the script I wrote that's not currently available - and never made it into FlightGear,
statto

Next

Return to Scenery