Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Terrain over runway

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Terrain over runway

Postby DjeL » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:49 pm

Guys,

I'm facing a problem in some airports now that I updated the game to version 2016.1.1 (I used to play 3.0.0). At some airports, water or earth (basically terrain) is generated over the runway. Check the attached images for example. If I roll for takeoff and meet this "terrain", the aircraft crashes, as If there really was some water or a mountain over the runway. It didn't happen at any great airport, yet, but on smaller ones like KHAF and SBKP (where I took the screenshots) it does.

I found many bugs on the 3.0.0 version which I could solve by myself, but this one is new. Probably it is something on the rendering, but I don't the discard the possibility that it is an issue on the scenery data, as I have just updated some areas to the new HD 2.0.1 scenery version and there were no problems flying these airports on v2.12 scenery. Below are some info, if needed:

Version: 2016.1.1
Graphics: GT-610 2GB

Command line (using the new launcher):
--geometry=1366x768
--enable-hud
--disable-hud-3d
--disable-anti-alias-hud
--visibility=10000
--fog-fastest
--prop:/sim/rendering/texture-compression=off
--enable-save-on-exit

Screenshots:

I thank those who can help.
Regards,
DjeL
DjeL

Re: Terrain over runway

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:29 pm

That's an error in the scenery -- not on your side. There is simply nothing that can be done about it except to takeoff before you reach the terrain or water! It is a rather annoying bug in the scenery which occurs when the airport elevation is near sea level. It will need to wait for another generation of the scenery (which takes a few months to build...)

Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MIG29pilot » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Yes sorry about that I can see you broke your front gear leg going over that bump. Unfortunately Flightgear and its affiliates disclaim all damages to aircraft from faulty terrain. :roll:
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby DjeL » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:34 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:29 pm:That's an error in the scenery -- not on your side. There is simply nothing that can be done about it except to takeoff before you reach the terrain or water! It is a rather annoying bug in the scenery which occurs when the airport elevation is near sea level. It will need to wait for another generation of the scenery (which takes a few months to build...)

Jonathan

Jonathan, it has nothing to do with the airport elevation. SBKP is 2500' above MSL, for example. Also, it is impossible to takeoff before reaching the land sometimes. Look at the picture:

The whole runway is covered in landmass. It is really strange, as if the scenery was "overrendering" itself. You can see the runway below the earth, depending on the camera view:

Also, close airports to these, with similar characteristics, shows no problem at all. S05, WA04 and WA20 are located in the US west coast and have low elevation, just like KHAF, but its runways are ok. SBJD is next to SBKP and have the same elevation, but the whole runway is covered in asphalt, as it should be.

I didn't meet this issue at any great airport, yet, but I would like to fix it ASAP 'cause I really want to take flights from and to SBKP.

I still believe it is a rendering problem, but I've never seen it before. It is possible that it is a scenery problem, but if so, how should I solve it? My graphics card seems to be working well and this has begun after I replaced the old 2.12 scenery for the new 2.0.1 version. Any ideas on how to fix it are helpful.

Thanks!
DjeL
DjeL

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:02 am

You're right; I'm thinking of another error which affects airports such as TNCM. The runway is flooded, and that other bug is caused by the low elevation (nearly sea level).

This one is also caused by an error in the generation of the scenery, and there is nothing you can do about it. When the mapserver (mapserver.flightgear.org, provided shapefiles (files which tell FlightGear what is land, what is sea, what is lake, what is beach, and so on)) was active, you could have regenerated the scenery with TerraGear yourself, but with the mapserver down permanently, that is not an option as far as I know.

It is nothing to do with rendering; I use FlightGear with compelx airports and airliners on my 2012 laptop (awful graphics card) and it works. Sure, frame rates are awful, but it works.

TL;DR: this is caused by an error in the scenery, and there is pretty much nothing you can do at the moment to fix it.
legoboyvdlp

Postby DjeL » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:07 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:02 am:This one is also caused by an error in the generation of the scenery, and there is nothing you can do about it. When the mapserver (mapserver.flightgear.org, provided shapefiles (files which tell FlightGear what is land, what is sea, what is lake, what is beach, and so on)) was active, you could have regenerated the scenery with TerraGear yourself, but with the mapserver down permanently, that is not an option as far as I know.

Well, can't I edit the scenery files manually? Don't know how to, but if there is how I can try...
DjeL

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:15 am

Well, first of all, I don't know if the bug in TerraGear was fixed.
It is simply not a good idea to edit the .btg.gz terrain files manually, even if it is possible.
So, there is no way to do it manually without TerraGear. And there are no shapefiles for TerraGear at the moment, except what people have on their harddisks (ie what they downloaded before the shapefiles went offline).
legoboyvdlp

Postby SHM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Hello there Djel,
KHAF has been repaired.

terraGIT

terraSync
Scenery Developer of terraGit (much better than terrasync)
SHM

Callsign: SM

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:03 am

KHAF has been repaired.

It'd be even nicer to make it available in an easy way to all users by contributing to a workflow which gets it on terrasync, rather than to advertize your fork.
Thorsten

Postby SHM » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:07 am

Sure can you tell me how?
As far as I see I am contributing for WS3.0 by uploading to the gateway.
SHM

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:38 am

I think I've posted the requirements a few times - get together with others to devise a procedure that

* provides a file that can automatically be fetched and merged
* automatically ensures object placement is correct in the revision
* contains a signature of who guarantees GPL compatibility

and iron out the details in a discussion on the mailing list.
Thorsten

Postby SHM » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:39 am

Well that is out of my league.
I only model 3d objects and make airport layouts.
So, I cant help you there.

I will continue what I do best and support a distribution channel which allows to see my work. :)
SHM

Postby PINTO » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:41 am

This problem can't be fixed without custom scenery, can it? Which doesn't get accepted into TerraSync. Unless policy has changed, and they're now accepting revisions into TerraSync. That'd be great. Is that what happened?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby SHM » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:50 am

Airport layouts arent updated on terrasync, only the objects.
SHM

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:35 am

Is that what happened?

Provided there's a way to meet the above conditions, terrasync will accept revisions for the time being - look for TorstenD's post on the mailing list.
Thorsten

Next

Return to Graphics