Board index FlightGear Support

[SOLVED] What is the QT launcher?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

[SOLVED] What is the QT launcher?

Postby FL2070 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:44 pm

There is something called the QT launcher as seen here:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Qt_launcher

But how do I use it? How do I start it? Where do I find it? Do I have to download it?

- Using FlightGear 2016.1
- No other addons or modifications

Sorry if this question seems a bit vague, but I really can't find any information about how to start/use it.
Last edited by FL2070 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All my sound work can be found here: http://www.thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=416
FL2070

Callsign: FL2070
Version: 3.4 FGRun

Re: What is the QT launcher?

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:03 pm

the article you linked to contains answers to all/most questions you raise
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:18 pm

it that wiki page, it isn't until you get to the "Testing" section and can see that you use "--launcher" on the command line... it is mentioned a little above in the section about FGRun but it is not clear that you use it on the command line at that point...

/path/to/my/fgfs --fg-root=/path/to/my/fgdata/location --launcher

note: the --fg-root may not be necessary... the script i use puts it in and everything works properly...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:28 pm

honestly, it's a wiki article for a reason - if you disagree with something, or if you'd like to improve something, feel free to review/edit and improve the corresponding sections.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:33 pm

i'm not editing someone's quotes or trying to figure out where to add something in articles like that one... sorry... to me the whole page needs reworking and it just isn't something that i'm able or going to do right now... it is like wading into someone else's code that you've never seen before and trying to refactor it... thanks but no thinks ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:59 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:33 pm:i'm not editing someone's quotes or trying to figure out where to add something in articles like that one... sorry... to me the whole page needs reworking and it just isn't something that i'm able or going to do right now... it is like wading into someone else's code that you've never seen before and trying to refactor it... thanks but no thinks ;)

sorry, that's just a pathetic excuse: you can help improve the article without editing any quotes.

And in fact, if you feel so strongly about the quality of that article (or any other similar wiki article), you could even start a new article from scratch, without using any "quotes" at all; articles like these exist because of people like you who are sufficiently offended by the lack of quality of such articles, but not sufficiently motivated to do something about that, despite suggesting that they can do so (often much less politely than you did...) - which unfortunately applies even to many developers whose developments are basically undocumented.

Frankly, you make it sound like it's a chicken and egg problem, whereas you -or any other contributor disagreeing with quote-based articles, could create new/alternate articles without having to touch any of those articles, let alone having read them necessarily.

Looking at the devel list archives, you were among the top 5 users participating in the discussion of Qt5/launcher related topics on the devel list, which would put you in an excellent position to preserve your knowledge/findings for others wanting to know what you know - obviously, it's your call not to share your expertise with others, but please don't make a fuss about others trying at least to document otherwise undocumented features ...

If you don't like the article in its current form, I am volunteering to delete the article entirely, and replace it with whatever you can come up with. Let me know if that sounds appealing to you
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby bugman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:24 pm

The quotes are a good way to bootstrap a missing article, but they need to be slowly replaced and the article properly structured. Have a look at what I did with the FGAddon article as an example. This was originally mainly quotes. I would simply suggest adding an intro paragraph to the very start, with the basic command line launcher option, as an easy initial improvement. Such small improvements will add up in the long term and improve our wiki significantly.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:56 am

Hooray wrote in Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:59 pm:sorry, that's just a pathetic excuse: you can help improve the article without editing any quotes.

call it what you like but it is the pure unvarnished truth... it is like wading into someone else's code and trying to refactor it... i'm not prepared or going to do that at this point in time... it doesn't matter whether i agree or not with the article... that's far outside of my statement...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:56 am

like I said, you don't even have to touch any quotes, or that particular article as a whole, to improve the documentation of the corresponding feature.

I don't mean to argue with, or offend, you - but the way you have been participating in Qt5/launcher related discussions on both, the forum and the devel list, while obviously refusing to get involved in improving/re-starting the corresponding wiki article, is the sole reason why we have so many quote-based articles in the wiki:

People happily participate in dozens, or even hundreds, of discussions that end up containing useful information, without wanting to get involved in preserving such information in a form that does not require reading pages of community discussions.

And unfortunately that also applies to people developing new features.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby jaxsin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 pm

FL2070 wrote in Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:44 pm:There is something called the QT launcher as seen here:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Qt_launcher

But how do I use it? How do I start it? Where do I find it? Do I have to download it?

- Using FlightGear 2016.1
- No other addons or modifications

Sorry if this question seems a bit vague, but I really can't find any information about how to start/use it.

To get back to the OP's question. You should just need to double click on the shortcut installed in the windows 7 start menu and you will be presented with the QT launcher. The entry name in the windows start menu is FlightGear 2016.1.1 > Flightgear Launcher

Please let me know if something can get fixed or is not working correctly for you. I have taken to trying and figuring out windows issues and present solutions to the developers if I can find them. Please spill your beans and we will get it sorted.

@hooray The wiki page does need some work, but James is still sorting out some issues at this very moment(I'm sure you are aware). A more finished article and QT launcher release should be available by 2016.2 and hopefully I can find some time between then and now to get it done. I will add this to my TODO list
jaxsin

Postby FL2070 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks! I managed to start the QT launcher, and I selected the data folder in my FG_ROOT. Now I'm getting this:

Sqlite error:attempt to write to a readonly database

recieved from INSERT INTO octree (rowid, children) VALUES (?1, 0)
All my sound work can be found here: http://www.thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=416
FL2070

Postby jaxsin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:16 pm

ok, press Start button and then before you do anything else, type in

Code: Select all
%appdata%

and press enter, you should now be in AppData\Roaming folder under your personal user account. Then navigate to flightgear.org folder and delete navdata_2016*.cache files you see. I believe this is what others have said is the issue. All else fails, delete the flightgear.org folder and start over
jaxsin

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby FL2070 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Great! It works fine, thanks!
FL2070

Return to Support