Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

No text in dialog boxes

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: No text in dialog boxes

Postby elgaton » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 am

(I'm not on Windows at this time, so I'm going from memory.)
  • Press the Print Screen key on your keyboard to capture a screenshot.
  • Open Paint (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint), click on the Paste button in the toolbar to paste the screenshot you captured. Save the file on your Desktop.
  • Go to Imgur and click on Upload images, then choose the option to upload an image from your computer; select the file you saved in the previous step.
  • When the upload is done, Imgur will show you your image and a box on the right side of the page with the address your image was uploaded to. There should be an option called BBCode (for message boards) (or something similar) and a textbox below it. Copy its contents and paste them in your reply here on the forum.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby SHM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:32 am

If you're trying to take a screenshot of flightgear, you can just click F3. By default, it saves it on the desktop.

Then follow elgaton's steps to upload it on the forum.

SHM
Scenery Developer of terraGit (much better than terrasync)
SHM

Callsign: SM
Version: 2016.1.1

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:17 pm

in a worst case scenario, take the screen shot with your phone...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby lonewolf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:42 am

Suire hope this works signed up for imgur... what ever uploaded the pic here is the link.... Image..... would be nice to upload from pc...

I hope this image of the white box helps... Sorry if I sound adjitated....But thank you all for the help.... How does X plane compare to this program???

Well first try didnt work so try two... yep worked whew
lonewolf

Callsign: lonewolf
Version: 2016.1

Postby sanhozay » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:58 am

What graphics card do you have and are the drivers up to date?

If it's an AMD Radeon card, does any of this help?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=28262&start=15&hilit=ati+radeon+pui

Have you tried combinations of ALS on/off, shader settings, non full screen window? What about the minimal startup profile? How about Debug | Cycle GUI?
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby lonewolf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:32 am

its a stock chipset display adapter Intel Q35 Express yes up to date
lonewolf

Postby Thorsten » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:21 am

What is the white box supposed to represent, i.e. what exactly did you do to conjure it up?

The menu bar at the upper edge of the screen displays fine - does this also hold for its items?

(I'm trying to understand if some canvas popup is a no-show or whether it's the PUI).

Also, you can't have too much GPU memory on an intel - could you cross check loading a really detailed plane (777 for instance) and see whether it displays correctly or whether parts are missing)?

(i.e., are we looking at something dialog-specific, or is the dialog just the symptom of an underlying bottleneck?)
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Thorsten is right, PUI (the legacy GUI) seems to be working/looking correctly according to your screenshot.
The most likely culprit seems to be lacking FBO support and/or texture memory that may result in Canvas RTT not working correctly.
To see if that's really the case, open a PUI dialog with an embedded Canvas (e.g. the location/airports dialog), or try one of the Canvas snippets that you can find on the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Snippets

Note that tooltips are using the Canvas system under the hood: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Tooltips

For testing/troubleshooting purposes, you can try to execute one of the snippets from: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Tooltips#Use_from_Nasal

To do that, use the Nasal Console: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Nasal_Console

For troubleshooting purposes, I would do those tests using just the ufo, or even the minimal startup profile: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Template:Startup_Profile
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby lonewolf » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Hello again.. for starters I am not familiar with the cockpit console so clue what I hovered over to get the box?? I tried the ufo and saw no cocpit what so ever ??? not sure if i was supposed to or not? I did notice that a menu option showed up as white box also clicked on quite a few??? most worked.. the snippets seemed to show up fine... not sure what to do next ... In case it may help in the long run I have no idea what a..PUI (the legacy GUI).. or what this "The most likely culprit seems to be lacking FBO support and/or texture memory that may result in Canvas RTT not working correctly" means... Did I miss a pre requisite programming class?
Well thank you all for bearing with me in my struggles to get this working properly???
lonewolf

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:13 pm

the UFO has no cockpit at all... i can't offer any more assistance in figuring out your problem...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:26 am

I did notice that a menu option showed up as white box also clicked on quite a few??? most worked..

Okay, please sit back a moment and relax, then read this sentence with the eyes of someone frying to figure out what the problem is.

'a menu option showed up as a white box' What can we deduce of that? Not much beyond your original problem report, because we don't know which one.

You 'clicked on a few'. That's nice to know, but which ones? 'Most worked' - again, glad to hear it - but which ones did, and more important which ones did not? You need to give us this kind of information, we can't 'just' know it magically.

not sure what to do next ..

Make a concise report of what the problem is, outlining which menu option showed as a white box, what you did to conjure up the box in the screenshot etc.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:23 am

if in doubt, post more screenshots detailing exactly what you are doing, or even post a youtube video illustrating the problem
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 am

the MAIN thing to remember is that we cannot see what you are seeing or doing... we're not there looking over your shoulder and no one has any working crystal balls right now... the more explicit you can be with your steps and exactly what you are doing, the better...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:36 pm

Hello all well here is the pick of me holding mouse over throttle.... Image
Last edited by lonewolf on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Hello again here is a screenshot of me attempting the nasal console Image not sure what I was supposed to do ... Btw I am in the cockpit of the 172 P... I did hit the execute button but nothing happened???

Ok what next... plz be specific because I have no clue about the lingo here...
lonewolf

PreviousNext

Return to Graphics