Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

How to log data?

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

How to log data?

Postby Zequinha » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi guys,

I was trying to log the altitude of my aircraft at regular time intervals and found this http://wiki.flightgear.org/Logging_properties. My problem is I do not know what to call/ where to put/ how to run this XML file. Any Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Zequinha

Re: How to log data?

Postby sanhozay » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 pm

From README.logging:

The easiest way for an end-user to define logs is to put the log in a separate XML file (usually under the user's home directory), then refer to it using the --config option, like

fgfs --config=log-config.xml

You can pass this --config option on a command line or via your favourite launcher. It's just setting up a branch of the property tree under "logging".

There is also a menu option, Debug | Logging, I think, that does the same thing but I couldn't get it to work last time I tried. YMMV.

Edit: I've updated the Wiki article, please revise it as necessary based on your success or otherwise.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Zequinha » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Update: I've managed to log data using the menu Debbug | Logging without any trouble. It works fine for me on Arch linux 64 bits.
Zequinha

Postby sanhozay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Good. While it's fresh in your mind, any additional tips would be valuable additions to the Wiki page.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:23 pm

i'm trying to figure out how to log to a CSV file current longitute, latitude, true heading, altitude and the debug->cycle-on-screen-stats FPS values... especially when trying to track down FPS eating scenery... eg: at LEBL i get 10FPS to ~30FPS depending on which way i'm facing... i don't know if the new trees and tanks work is in place yet but they should be... the question now is if my terrasync updates have been working properly and not using that old googlecode site like i keep seeing/finding :(
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:21 pm

the osg stuff isn't currently available in the form of properties unfortunately (feel free to file a feature request) - otherwise, Hamza has been doing related work recently, so my suggestion would be to get in touch with him.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Zequinha » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Just for completeness: I made a video tutorial on how to log data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSCp5WfFMo4.

Regards
Zequinha

Postby PINTO » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 am

Then you can output it to google earth and do heuristics or make cool gifs.
Blue was me, red was a target drone, yellow was missiles, and the white was another player that hopped on.

Credit to Necoladis for figuring out how to do this, instructions are here: https://github.com/NikolaiVChr/flightge ... manual.txt
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Zequinha » Sun May 14, 2017 7:07 pm

In addition, you can process the log file and view the paths using MapGear.py!

Basically, it uses Python to map the FlightGear paths and tells you the total distance travelled.

Annoucment page: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31741!

Get the code at https://github.com/crazyBaboon/MapGear

Here's a screenshot:
Zequinha

Postby Johan G » Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Zequinha wrote in Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:36 pm:I made a video tutorial on how to log data [...]

Nice! :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Zequinha » Mon May 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Zequinha

Postby Ramanathan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:34 pm

I was trying to log using Logging Property under Debugging tab, Put FG shuts down abruptly. Kindly provide some suggestions
Ramanathan

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:36 pm

personally speaking, all the logging i've done was by adding a section to a craft's -set file with the properties i wanted in the CSV file as well as the timing frequency i wanted the properties logged... everything else i've done re: logging has been adding debug entries to the core binary logging... i can't remember where i found the info on what to add to the craft's -set file... most likely the wiki or i might have gotten it from another craft that had a section for this commented out... that was several years ago, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Interfacing