Board index FlightGear Development

Announcing FFGo: a new FlightGear launcher

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: Announcing FFGo: a new FlightGear launcher

Postby rominet » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:00 am

Two useful infos:
  • I have released FFGo 1.11.1 with the following fix:

Prevent unwanted selection changes in the airport and aircraft choosers. The airport and aircraft choosers suffered from the following problem: if the associated search field was not empty, some operations such as running FlightGear(*) or changing the sort order in the airport or aircraft list, could cause the selected item to be changed based on the contents of the search field (as if you had just changed the contents of the airport or aircraft search field). In the “Run FG” case, the problem could only happen after FlightGear was started, which somehow mitigated the impact of the bug, but still, this was clearly undesirable and could be confusing.
  • For users of Debian unstable: bug #815864 of python3-venv (that I mentioned in this and that message) is now fixed. This means that no particular workaround is needed anymore to create your virtual environments, as long as you have updated your Debian python3.5* packages to version 3.5.1-8 or later (this version was uploaded to unstable on March 18, 2016).
(*) With the Run FG button or Ctrl-F keyboard shortcut.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby rominet » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:25 am

Hi,

Following up on the previous discussion, I have updated the default config file:
  • Example for --metar (telling for which FlightGear versions --disable-real-weather-fetch is also needed to make --metar actually work).
  • How to enable the Phi web interface to FlightGear, using --httpd=127.0.0.1:8080 or --httpd=8080.
  • Example of --multiplay options (along with --callsign) to establish direct multiplayer connection between two FlightGear instances running on the same computer, without going through an fgms server (FlightGear multiplayer server).
Translators: the arena is yours. :wink:
rominet

Postby chris_blues » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi!

I'm translating config_de just now, and came across this:
Code: Select all
For this, you'll have to run FlightGear under two different user accounts at the same time.

That's actually not true! But I understand, FFGo can't handle 2 instances of FG. so, you could either start the one instance of FG some other way (CLI, --launcher, FGRun, FGo etc etc) - or use another user account.
I imagine it might be very difficult to start FG in 2 different accounts... (access rights, RAM usage for 2 environments)

I therefore propose the following change to that line:
For this, you'll have to start another instance of FG some way (FFGo could only be used in another user account). Either through the CLI (fgfs --some=option), FGrun or any other means available.

P.S. I just pushed the update, without my proposal...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby rominet » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi chris!
chris_blues wrote in Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm:I'm translating config_de just now, and came across this:
For this, you'll have to run FlightGear under two different user accounts at the same time.

That's actually not true! But I understand, FFGo can't handle 2 instances of FG. so, you could either start the one instance of FG some other way (CLI, --launcher, FGRun, FGo etc etc) - or use another user account.
I imagine it might be very difficult to start FG in 2 different accounts... (access rights, RAM usage for 2 environments)

No, you didn't get it. FFGo could very easily be changed to allow starting as many instances of FG as you want simultaneously under the same or different accounts (go back before FFGo's commit 3776c8af03a132626f54699d5b3b0a55709c7015 and you'll be able to do it with the Ctrl-F keyboard shortcut—but backup your $FG_HOME first!). If it refuses to do so, it is only so as to protect you!

I think running several instances of FG simultaneously under the same user account is a great recipe for corrupting your FG config (the navdata cache and autosave file, for a start). Then, you'll have weird FG bugs that noone will ever understand, much less fix, and you'll eventually have to delete your navdata cache and maybe more until you get back to a working situation. Therefore, I shall not be the one advising users to do that without a very clear blessing from the FG core developers.

Personally, I have never ever encountered a situation where I had to remove the navdata cache or autosave file, or whatever under $FG_HOME do get things working again. Maybe this is because I am careful about that...

Finally, it is quite easy on Linux to start FG simultaneously under different user accounts. I did it yesterday before writing the advice:
  1. Copy your usual ~/.ffgo into the other account (let's call it dave -> ~dave/.ffgo).
  2. Run the command:
    ssh -X dave@localhost

and start FFGo from the obtained shell (running as dave).
  3. Disable TerraSync for dave if you had it enabled in the config you copied, because it would be silly to have the two FG instances try to update the TerraSync dir at the same time—it would probably not be able to for permission reasons, but that would still be silly. Also make sure you have the --callsign and --multiplay options correctly set (still in dave's FFGo config).
  4. Start FlightGear from that FFGo instance (as dave).
  5. Once dave's FlightGear is up and running, switch to a different workspace for convenience and run FFGo under your normal user account.
  6. Make sure you have the --callsign and --multiplay options correctly set under this account too, and start FlightGear.
That is about as straightforward as it can be. The only "trick" is the "ssh -X" that enables X protocol forwarding from dave to your normal user account. Another way would be to start a second X session as dave in parallel to your normal user session, but that would probably take a bit more memory (not much compared to FG IMO), and may be more difficult to do than "ssh -X", depending on your display manager.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there is a significant difference in memory usage between what I did and what you are talking about (same user for the two FG instances). But for me, data safety is much more important anyway. Doing the above, the resulting FG will probably be very slow (I had approx. 1 fps at LOWI with an f-14b on one side and a c172p on the other side). Not comfortable for flying, but enough to check if each FG instance can see the other's model correctly.

chris_blues wrote in Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm:I therefore propose the following change to that line:
For this, you'll have to start another instance of FG some way (FFGo could only be used in another user account). Either through the CLI (fgfs --some=option), FGrun or any other means available.

No, thanks! (except of course if you have the blessing I mentioned from the FG core devs, in which case I'd rather relax FFGo about this)

Again, FFGo could do that with no effort, the limitation was artificially added in order to protect users from themselves. :P FGo! did more or less the same with its obnoxious modal 'FlightGear is running..." window that always took focus when I switched to a different workspace to check the MPMap or a chart, and switched back to the workspace containing FlightGear and FGo!.
chris_blues wrote in Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm:P.S. I just pushed the update, without my proposal...

Good idea, thank you. :)
rominet

Postby chris_blues » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Hm, I never ran into any problems, when I did exactly this...

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it. :)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby rominet » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 pm

Well, I seem to recall some message of yours on the -devel list because of a broken map, and that you ended up removing the navdata cache... Maybe my memory is not serving me well? Not worth the time digging for that, though, and that wouldn't give any serious proof that the problem came from running two FG instances simultaneously under the same account.

But anyway, it's not because you're adopting a dangerous behavior that you are necessarily going to have an accident tomorrow. Some people are just insanely lucky. :wink:

As you saw, it is not difficult to avoid what I consider to be a risk, so I just prefer giving the safest advice from my POV. Good night!
rominet

Postby chris_blues » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:49 pm

Seems I got different priorities. Having to delete my .fgfs folder is merely an inconvenience to me, since I keep many important settings in my FFGo-config.

And you're right, that was me, with a disabled navdata.cache... I really don't remember, if it could have to do with just that. It's possible...

Clearing my entire /home would be something to write about! So, enough beating the same horse. Good night to you too! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby rominet » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:36 am

I am pleased to announce the release of FFGo 1.11.2. This is a small update adding some polish over version 1.11.1:
  • Fix FG_SCENERY tooltip concerning the default TerraSync directory. The previously-indicated default ($FG_HOME/TerraSync) was correct for non-Windows systems, but for Windows it wasn't. This is because Windows uses a different code path in FlightGear to determine FlightGear's download directory, and the FlightGear wiki page for TerraSync was incorrect. Both FFGo's tooltip and the TerraSync wiki page are now fixed.
  • There was a similar problem in ffgo/data/config/config_en, ffgo/data/config/config_de and ffgo/data/config/config_fr (default config options). Don't mention $FG_HOME/TerraSync anymore, point to http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraSync instead.
  • Make the file and directory selectors more robust in case the HOME environment variable points to a non-existent file or directory.
  • Add more commented out options to the default configuration:
    • Example for --metar (to choose specific weather conditions).
    • How to enable the Phi web interface to FlightGear, using --httpd=127.0.0.1:8080 or --httpd=8080.
    • Example of --multiplay options to establish direct multiplayer connection between two FlightGear instances running on the same computer, without going through an fgms server (FlightGear multiplayer server).
  • Remove useless --enable-real-weather-fetch option from unmaintained config_ll files (Italian, Japanese and Polish outdated translations of ffgo/data/config/config_en). This option is already enabled by default in contemporary FlightGear. We already have to choose between useful options, so let's not waste config space/add complexity with useless ones...
  • Improve the installation instructions. Actually, most of the recent improvements in this area went to FFGo's wiki page, but some of these have been “backported” to INSTALL_en in this release. Moreover, this file now clearly suggests users to start with the installation instructions from the FFGo wiki page first, then to consult INSTALL_en in case they need more information on certain subjects.
  • Aircraft is an invariable noun. Argh. Thanks to Red Leader for pointing this out. Fix spelling in all places where this is safe for a “stable update”.
  • Update the German translation (thanks to chris_blues).
  • Update the Spanish translation of ffgo/data/config/config_en (thanks to carmen890).
As usual, you can get this release from FFGo's home page. Debian packages for jessie and unstable are available from there, along with the distribution-agnostic tarballs and zip files.
rominet

Postby rominet » Sun May 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Hello,

As you may have noticed, the people.via.ecp.fr server has not been very reliable lately. I have consequently moved the home pages of FFGo and CondConfigParser to a new place:
This affects the /etc/apt/sources.list lines for the Debian packages I provide for FFGo and CondConfigParser. The new lines are:
  • For jessie (currently known as stable):
    deb http://frougon.net/debian-ffgo jessie main
    deb-src http://frougon.net/debian-ffgo jessie main
  • For unstable/sid:
    deb http://frougon.net/debian-ffgo unstable main
    deb-src http://frougon.net/debian-ffgo unstable main
The other resources are still at the same place as before:

For the careful among you
  • Debian users who have set up their sources.list file as indicated above will automatically get updated packages signed with the same OpenPGP key as before (see below). These in turn contain the new home pages in the package metadata as well as in /usr/share/doc/ffgo (/usr/share/doc/python3-condconfigparser for CondConfigParser).
  • The tarballs and zip files available on PyPI (FFGo, CondConfigParser) as well as on http://frougon.net/projects/FFGo/dist/ and http://frougon.net/projects/CondConfigParser/dist/ are all signed with the same key, which did not change.
  • If you don't have this key, you can get it from the OpenPGP keyserver network or from my new home page. In any case, you should check that it has the ID C785B90B5053A3A2 and the following fingerprint:
    125B 5A0F DB78 8FDD 0EF4  1A9D C785 B90B 5053 A3A2

(if the key ID is preceded by 0x, it's OK: it is just a way to express that the number is written in hexadecimal notation)

The fingerprint can be checked this way:
    • If you have the key in a file named OpenPGP-key.asc, run the following command:
      gpg2 --with-fingerprint OpenPGP-key.asc
    • Otherwise, assuming it is in your GnuPG keyring, you can run:
      gpg2 --list-keys --fingerprint C785B90B5053A3A2
In case you find a broken link or something like that, please drop me a note.
rominet

Postby chris_blues » Mon May 02, 2016 8:00 am

Very nice! Thanks!
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby daweed » Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 am

Hello Rominet

so here what u ask :

Distro : Linux Mint 17.2
FG : Next Branch (2016.03)

farmeradmin@FARMERSALOON /data01/Flightgear $ locale
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I follow instruction from http://frougon.net/projects/FFGo/#installation

i clone the repo :

git clone https://github.com/frougon/FFGo.git
then installed dependency

regarding using sudo ... tree /usr/local/lib/python3.4/ is owned by root ... (it's system directory) so not using sudo or root directly .... that will be difficult (without changing owner) and i am not sure that modifying system dir right is a good thing

i ll add line you provide for output and report asap
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby daweed » Tue May 24, 2016 8:46 am

posting what u ask for :

farmeradmin@FARMERSALOON /data01/Flightgear/FFGo $ LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ./ffgo-launcher.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./ffgo-launcher.py", line 14, in <module>
    ffgo.main.main()
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/main.py", line 190, in main
    res = run(master, params)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/main.py", line 104, in run
    config = Config(params, master)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/config.py", line 187, in __init__
    self.update(ignoreFGVersionError=True, logFGVersion=False)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/config.py", line 517, in update
    setupTranslationHelper(self)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/config.py", line 29, in setupTranslationHelper
    translationHelper = misc.TranslationHelper(config)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/misc.py", line 240, in __init__
    MESSAGES, LOCALE_DIR, languages=[langCode])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/gettext.py", line 416, in translation
    raise OSError(ENOENT, 'No translation file found for domain', domain)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'FFGo'

Same error with

farmeradmin@FARMERSALOON /data01/Flightgear/FFGo $ LANG=C ./ffgo-launcher.py
FG Interface

daweed

Postby daweed » Tue May 24, 2016 9:04 am

I probably made some dirty install when testing installation yesterday.

i have now 2 ffgo :

One in my FG Tree (/data01/Flightgear) which is not working (ffgo-launcher.py failed) :

farmeradmin@FARMERSALOON /data01/Flightgear/FFGo $ ./ffgo-launcher.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./ffgo-launcher.py", line 14, in <module>
    ffgo.main.main()
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/main.py", line 190, in main
    res = run(master, params)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/main.py", line 104, in run
    config = Config(params, master)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/config.py", line 187, in __init__
    self.update(ignoreFGVersionError=True, logFGVersion=False)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/config.py", line 517, in update
    setupTranslationHelper(self)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/config.py", line 29, in setupTranslationHelper
    translationHelper = misc.TranslationHelper(config)
  File "/data01/Flightgear/FFGo/ffgo/misc.py", line 240, in __init__
    MESSAGES, LOCALE_DIR, languages=[langCode])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/gettext.py", line 416, in translation
    raise OSError(ENOENT, 'No translation file found for domain', domain)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'FFGo'

and one in the system tree (third part application .. dirty in my mind to put it there)

/usr/local/bin/ffgo , /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/ which is working, so that push me to think that all needed is install on my computer

I would like to make the ffgo in the FG Tree working to remove the installation in the system tree

And yes, i confirm that using the working one, parking pos is avail & working
FG Interface

daweed

Postby rominet » Tue May 24, 2016 9:29 am

Hello daweed,

A bit short on time, sorry.

0) You could have saved a lot of time by reading the wiki page IMHO. This clearly explains how to install deps without root access, etc.

1) Which of your installs is working? It is unclear from your previous message. (sorry, got it now)

2) Installing from the Git repository requires building files that are automatically shipped in tarballs, this includes .mo files and probably explains the locale error you had. See section Installation from the Git repository in https://github.com/frougon/FFGo/blob/ma ... INSTALL_en (also in tarballs/zip files). It is also explained with sample sessions in the wiki instructions (see "Second session"), just read and follow them...

Edit: I had written .po instead of .mo. .po are the sources; .mo are binary files generated from the .po files under ffgo/data/locale.

3) Concerning your dirty install in /usr/local, since you did it as root, cleaning up certainly also requires root access. I would try running 'pip uninstall ffgo' and 'pip uninstall CondConfigParser' as root, and maybe uninstall other optional deps the same way if you installed them with pip as root. Then, don't run pip as root anymore. (my advice)

The main reason for never running pip as root is that it clashes with your Linux/BSD/... package manager, thus you may break your Python installation/third-party Python packages when running it as root. One safe and clean way to go on Linux is to install Python dependencies(*), and maybe FFGo too, inside a virtual environment (for FFGo: install it in the venv if you don't want to use it from the Git repo). It is not complicated, just carefully read the wiki page.

It is also possible to have virtual environments "see" system-installed Python packages, using the --system-site-packages option when creatng your venv, but it may be more difficult to understand precisely what is used inside your venv with this method, so I don't advise it on first approach---only when some nasty Python deps can't be installed with pip (e.g., some GTK+/GLib stuff, PyQt... big things with C or C++ code in general, but FFGo's deps are not in this category).

(*) CondConfigParser at the very least, and optionally Pillow and geographiclib.
Python itself: no, it's necessarily outside.
Tkinter: no, it is part of the Python standard library and should be installed the same way as Python (probably via distro packages in your case, but it comes with Python when you compile Python yourself)

HTH
Last edited by rominet on Wed May 25, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rominet

Postby daweed » Tue May 24, 2016 9:55 am

Hello, sorry to be unclear, the installation in the "system tree" /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/ is working, but i am clearly unable to find from which install command that happen

i am looking for a way to remove, properly all files about FFGo to restart to a fresh & clean install
FG Interface

daweed

PreviousNext

Return to Development