Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

Balsa Wood & Glue in WW2

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Balsa Wood & Glue in WW2

Postby sim » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:16 pm

The De Havilland Mosquito
Could carry a greater bomb load to Berlin than a B-17
Could fly higher and/or faster than nearly all contemporary fighters, so no need for defensive armament
The first true Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MRCA). Bomber, fighter, night-fighter, fighter-bomber, strike, anti-shipping, torpedo-bomber, photo-recce, trainer, target-tug.

1/10th the loss rate of the Lancaster
On the rare occasions when one did go down, 2 men were lost, not the 7 in a Lancaster or the 10 in a B-17
1/3rd the cost of a Lancaster.

So fast that the Americans, to avoid comparison, issued a standing order that their fastest fighter, the P-38 Lightning, was never to fly side-by-side with one.

Quotes:
AVM Don "Pathfinder" Bennett, AOC No 8 (Pathfinder) Group: "It's quite clear that the value of the Mosquito to the war effort is significantly greater than that of any other aircraft in the history of aviation.”

General Erhard Milch, the deputy head of the Luftwaffe: "I fear that one day the British will start attacking with masses of this aircraft"

Reichsmarschall Herman Goering, head of the Luftwaffe: “It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy.”

P.S. There's now a second Mossie flying in Canada. So that's two. :wink:
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Re: Balsa Wood & Glue in WW2

Postby Johan G » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:47 pm

That thing is fast down there. :shock: 8)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby MIG29pilot » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:55 pm

Love that plane. Di you know that there was a variant with a 57mm cannon for anti-submarine duty? And also because of their high altitude they were used to do pathfinding duties preliminary to bombing raids using Oboe.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 3.7nightly

Postby Johan G » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:02 am

Whoa. That would be a big gun. Kind of makes me wonder how it would have worked out using that against tanks...
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby MIG29pilot » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Well they used Hawker Hurricane Mk IVs armed with twin 40mms against Rommel's tanks in North Africa successfully, so I daresay it would have been great. The really fun one is the Hs.129.B-3. That had a 76 mm cannon.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 3.7nightly

Postby sim » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:42 pm

really fun one is the Hs.129.B-3. That had a 76 mm cannon

Nicht viel Spaß für die Ziele :shock:

MIG29pilot
because of their high altitude they were used to do pathfinding duties preliminary to bombing raids using Oboe

Mosquito had high altitude capability but pathfinder duties involved altitudes generally below the main bomber force, indeed often at near ground level!
Leonard Cheshire c/o of 617 Dambuster Squadron was first to personally mark targets flying the P51 Mustang!
H2S radar could "see" ground contours and distinguish rivers, estuaries etc through 8/8ths cloud or fog and was as important as Oboe in later pathfinder sorties.
Last edited by sim on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Return to Real aviation