Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

No text in dialog boxes

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

No text in dialog boxes

Postby lonewolf » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Hello all!!! Well I have an issue with dialog boxes?? I get a box but no text... I have google it and followed recomended step to no avail?? I went thru the windows options (maybe I missed the correct one?) Am not sure what to do I have a feeling its a windows issue but not sure Any help is greatly appreciated!! I looked for a topic for sound and found none so will post this issue also...I have audio but can barely hear a voice in back ground tower...??? not loud enough to make out but know its there??? Oh and no hud changed all settings?? not sure what Im missing here

Again thanks to all!!
lonewolf

Callsign: lonewolf
Version: 2016.1

Re: No text in dialog boxes

Postby lonewolf » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Well I did some more digging into the dialog box issue....I opened several programs heavy with dialog boxes and they all seemed to work fine so I am leaning towords a flightgear issue and no clue what to do to fix???
Thank you all for any help..
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Am I looking for help in the wrong place???
lonewolf

Postby Thorsten » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:07 pm

No but it seems you're expecting magic. We can't diagnose issues based on a vague description, which is the reason why there's a whole box of information that's required for a bug report above the window you type in.

There's an issue which vaguely fits your description for AMD/Radeon GPU architectures - you can search the forum for that if that's applicable.
Thorsten

Postby dg-505 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:17 pm

@lonewolf: Can you tell, which dialog window has no text?
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:42 pm

one of the OP's other posts reported a win10 upgrade dialogue that was empty, too... that's so far outside of FG that it strikes me as a system OS problem and not anything that we can help with... system corruption, malware infestation, etc... personally speaking, if i were to still be running any winwhatever mess, i'd start with a completely new installation of the OS...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:49 pm

The strangest thing I ever saw on a windows box (running NT 4.x) was that either a service pack or individual programs had to be reinstalled after the other one. Otherwise you would not be able to close them by any means other than Ctrl-F4 Alt+F4. The "Close" option in a windows top left icon drop-down menu (or whatever it was called), as well as the [x] icon in the top right of a window were both gone. :roll: :lol:

Edit: Key combo
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby SHM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:03 pm

If you've an ATI radeon video card, the text in the dialog boxes flicker and sometimes you may not be able to see them. Try clicking debug->cycle gui

With regard to the sound why not try going to sound configuration and increasing the volume there or maybe even try the volume mixer in windows.

@Johan don't you mean Alt+F4 :wink:

SHM
Scenery Developer of terraGit (much better than terrasync)
SHM

Callsign: SM
Version: 2016.1.1

Postby Johan G » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:58 pm

SHM wrote in Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:03 pm:don't you mean Alt+F4 :wink:

Oops. Yes, Alt+F4. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:55 pm

plib gui styles probably - i.e. just change your GUI style to the legacy style and see if that works or not.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby dg-505 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:39 am

I've got another suspicion, but considering that I need to know if only the Terrasync dialog window is incolved.
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505
Version: next

Postby lonewolf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Ok some more info... The boxes show up when I scroll over them and dispapear when I move the mouse away... Its is for all the ill say onscreen in cockpit hotspots. The options menus boxes work fine. Thank you for the sound advice I will try that.

I am sorry I am not reader of code and will try my best to learn and work with the powers that be! Thank you all for the comments

If there is any more info that will help I will be happy to post it..
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 pm

BTW I have this installed on my work pc running win 8 and the dialog boxes work fine there... not sure what you mean by tera sync dialog?? I am not sure I saw a dialog box???what would I be looking for in regards to terasync and dialog boxes???

Thank you all for dealing with me..I really do appreciate the efforts you have all put in helping me get going!!!
lonewolf

Postby Hooray » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:48 pm

you could post a screenshot
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby lonewolf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 am

Well tried a screenshot using snipping tool but that didnt work have to move mouse to activate snip hence moving mouse off the dialog hotspot ... then tried prtscn button nothing happened? Learn me how to do this and i shall thank you all!! In short I hover and a white semi opaque box shows nothing in box
lonewolf

Next

Return to Graphics