Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Sharing airport layouts

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Sharing airport layouts

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Okay, I see.
Oh, and as for that, that is very strange.... perhaps they are underground....

Okay, that is alright.
Nice idea!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby abcaster » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:12 pm

pommesschranke wrote in Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:04 pm:Most people don't have the genapts850 tool and the raw elevation data to convert a apt.dat airport layout into a ICAO.btg.gz
That's why I make the ones that I have publicly available.

I just tested ENAT which turns out to be absolutely brilliant!

Any chance you could have a go at ENBO (wrong layout), ENKB (flooded) and ENGM (grassed!) :)
abcaster

Callsign: LNRCX
Version: 2018.2.0

Postby pommesschranke » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:48 am

abcaster wrote in Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:12 pm:I just tested ENAT which turns out to be absolutely brilliant!

I'm happy to hear that!

Any chance you could have a go at ENBO (wrong layout), ENKB (flooded) and ENGM (grassed!) :)

please open ENBO in WED (world editor) and check if a new layout is avialible. If not, you can make and upload it with WED.

flooded with water or land: those cannot be fixed with just an ICAO.btg.gz
I can repair it, but you'll loose details around the airport. Examples are OMBD: only landclass is sand, ZBAA: only landclass is grass.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby surpii » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:34 pm

I can confirm that NZAA, CYUL, WMKP, SCAR, LIRF, LIMC and LGAV fit in perfectly. ZGSZ has terrain problems on the taxiways and aprons. SBGL is a bit off and the objects on Terrasync don't align with the new airport format. HAAB has some terrain problems on the apron and the taxiways. VMMC doesn't quite fit works properly, and RJAA has some terrain issues on the taxiway on the smaller runway. I did not try WSSS because I use the Omega Hangar custom scenery.
Last edited by surpii on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
surpii

Postby pommesschranke » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:12 pm

thank you for your feedback!
pommesschranke

Postby abcaster » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:23 pm

BIKF has issues. Seems to be fine with the default Terrasync scenery, though.
abcaster

Postby abcaster » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:25 pm

pommesschranke wrote in Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:48 am:please open ENBO in WED (world editor) and check if a new layout is avialible. If not, you can make and upload it with WED.

I'll have a look into this. Forgot I found a non-GPL'd apt.dat from x-plane.
abcaster

Postby rafa_elds » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Hello everybody!
After years of procrastination I've finally decided to help develop FG. I've been playing with WED and successfully made changes to an airport (SBSJ). Using TerraGear was not much of an issue, and so far I even got my new layout to display in FG (with issues, more on that later on). One important question I have is:
Which parts of an airport layout made in WED matter to FG? For example, I am pretty sure that objects like hangars are right out (I am aware of the model submission/placement process). Although I will submit the updated layout to X-Plane's gateway too, I want to prioritise what is more important to FG.
Can anybody shed a light here? Are there caveats regarding polygon vertices? Can I use concave shapes? Holes? Splines? Are starting positions, taxi routes and related features important?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Rafael dos Santos
rafa_elds

Version: 3.7nightly

Postby elgaton » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:26 pm

rafa_elds wrote in Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:43 pm:Which parts of an airport layout made in WED matter to FG? For example, I am pretty sure that objects like hangars are right out (I am aware of the model submission/placement process). Although I will submit the updated layout to X-Plane's gateway too, I want to prioritise what is more important to FG.

More or less, all of them do matter. That means including:
  • runways, taxiways/aprons, signs, beacons/windsocks and the airport boundary;
  • a tower viewpoint, ramp starts, and ATC Taxi Routes;
  • exclusion zones;
  • if you intend to make a 3D layout, add 3D objects as well.

At present, FlightGear natively uses only some 2D features, namely those I mentioned in the first point. That, however, is changing:
  • VaLeo has prepared a script to convert ramp starts and taxi lines to a FlightGear .xml ground network, and it was proposed on the mailing list to read those features directly from the X-Plane data file;
  • d-laser has prepared some scripts (Project3000) to place 3D buildings using the information in apt.dat.
Therefore, I would encourage you to make the layout as complete as possible.

rafa_elds wrote in Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:43 pm:Are there caveats regarding polygon vertices? Can I use concave shapes? Holes? Splines?

The wiki is down at the moment, and the documentation is (in my opinion) rather sparse. A couple of suggestions:
  • Follow the tips on X-Plane's Airport Layouts Guidelines page. (The part regarding layout submissions is out of date, but the remaining guidelines still stand. Creating junctions incorrectly is a frequent cause of artifacts in the scenery.)
  • Add exclusion zones in WED (i.e. zones where no building/tree/street overlays will be applied in X-Plane - most of the time the zone corresponds to the region inside the airport boundary). That's required to submit the airport to the Gateway.
  • Make sure to check the latest charts and NOTAMs (taxiways/parking positions change often).
  • As for 3D layouts, keep objects realistic, but avoid adding a large number of faces. (There's a page on the wiki explaining this in the Developer section, but the site is down at the moment). Also see this tutorial on 3D X-Plane scenery optimization.
Regarding concave shapes/holes/splines, I don't think there are any limitations regarding their use, but I don't know much about 3D modelling in FG (I've just started to learn it). I hope someone else here - more versed than me - will answer this.

rafa_elds wrote in Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:43 pm:Are starting positions, taxi routes and related features important?

Definitely - see above.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby pommesschranke » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:19 am

elgaton wrote in Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:26 pm:d-laser has prepared some scripts (Project3000) to place 3D buildings using the information in apt.dat.

3D stuff (except windsock, taxisigns, beacon) are not in apt.dat but in a .dsf file. WED writes both files + all the infos together in one .xml file.

https://github.com/mherweg/d-laser-fgtools
pommesschranke

Postby surpii » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:36 am

ZGGG and FACT are out. :D I've converted them to stg files and I'll upload them here if anybody requests it
surpii

Postby rooman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:08 pm

All very interesting, but what is the easiest way to correct an incorrect runway altitude in base scenery? LSGL Lausanne appears sunken and lower than surrouding terrain thus in a canyon which is false.
Grew up with Dr Who then discovered Monty Python and Middle Earth. The world was never the same.
rooman

Callsign: HB-ROO
Version: Next + LTS

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:21 am

the correct way is to rebuild the terrain... there is no other way...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pommesschranke » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:01 am

LSGL in Flightgear is 10m lower that real life. But it still looks quite nice and flyable to me.
You have scenery 2.0 / terrasync ?
pommesschranke

Postby pommesschranke » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:09 am

ZGGG is terrain flooded in terrasync.
Are you using the terrain that I uploaded to:
http://media.lug-marl.de/flightgear/Ter ... 3-ZGGG.tgz
... hmm, that's not flooded but also not realistic.

please post a screenshot of your ZGGG!

Do you have a terminal building for FACT ?
pommesschranke

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery