Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

ATIS msg deletion

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

ATIS msg deletion

Postby mickybadia » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:42 am

Hi,
First, it seems that FGCom has now been providing good service for a while, so I wanted to thank you for that. ATC-pie has integrated the new binaries over a month ago so its users can now enjoy a non CPU greedy system, and the cool features like ATIS recording, which pilots can listen to before initial contact.

Second, and about ATIS messages, they seem never to be removed unless we record a blank message over them ourselves, whereas I thought they were meant to be deleted after 24 hours or so. So you can take this either as a report that the cron system is broken or as a feature suggestion.

A typical ATIS msg starts with a recorded time, which makes no sense if they can stick around for over 24 h.
mickybadia

Re: ATIS msg deletion

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 pm

mickybadia wrote in Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:42 am:A typical ATIS msg starts with a recorded time, which makes no sense if they can stick around for over 24 h.

I think it makes all the sense. How would you know if it is 10 minutes old and probably from a live ATC session or 12 hours old and from a previous ATC session? ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby mickybadia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:19 am

I think you are saying what I am saying... An ATIS message typically starts with "Good morning this is Somewhere information Letter recorded at HHMM UTC." If messages are not deleted after 24 hours (what I am observing today), this time is not an information. Worse, since the messages seem not deleted at all, I suppose we'll end up with outdated ATIS everywhere in the world at some point, which sort of defeats the purpose of reliable info for pilots approaching (or starting at) an airport.
mickybadia

Postby Saga » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi all!

Thanks for reminding me. :lol: Now, It's done. It should work.
Can some of you try to record a message?
Host and maintainer of fgcom.flightgear.org.
Saga

Callsign: F-G0z
Version: Git next

Postby jaxsin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:15 pm

I can record the message and I can get it to broadcast over the freq in the plane on comm radios. Problem is, the female AI voice is there as well and so what you get is a garbled mess. Any idea on what is wrong with this? I'm using ATC-pie and fgcom.
jaxsin

Postby mickybadia » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello,
[probably a misplaced question, but anyway]

See this wiki section, you clearly have two systems overlap, namely:
- FGCom with an ATIS message recorded by ATC (you), selected in the multiplayer options
- the poor ATIS generation system horribly called "ATC" in the sound options and that is in fact a METAR with a letter---at least last time I tried

Clearly:
1. people should untick "ATC" if playing multi-player with human ATCs
2. FlightGear should rename its option to "ATIS" (unless "ATC" does something else??)
mickybadia

Postby jaxsin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Hmm. Guess I can move on to the core developers. Thanks again and sry
jaxsin

Postby mickybadia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:24 pm

I cannot of course tell if ATC-pie will be used increasingly, but the more it is, the more ATIS messages will generalise for sure. So the good idea to start, I would assume, would be to at least check if FGCom is turned off before generating an ATIS automatically.

The best would be to add a check for a recorded message, provided a simple API from Kevin to list the currently available ATIS messages like he does on his live list web page.

Code: Select all
generate_ATIS():
  if NOT (option_enabled("FGCom") AND query_ATIS_exists(current_location)) {
    [... generate the ATIS ...] // old code
  }
mickybadia

Postby jaxsin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:14 pm

no, the problem I have is not something inherently wrong with ATC-pie or fgcom so it seems. I will report the bug to the bugtracker.

I can't seem to disable the builtin atc/atis message, so while my recorded message works from ATC-pie as intended it does me no good or I would assume anyone else that has the same issue. Therefor I will just not use the recorded atis message feature until it is fixed.
jaxsin

Postby mickybadia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:41 pm

I know ATC-pie and FGCom are not the problem; my suggestion was for the FlightGear client side, but:
jaxsin wrote in Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:14 pm:I can't seem to disable the builtin atc/atis message

...mmh... this is not as I thought. As far as I remember, last time I tried I could disable that message by unticking "ATC" in the sound options.
mickybadia

Postby henrytran10 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:43 am

Thanks for previous posts which helps me figure out how to disable ATIS but still have other volume settings on so that I still can hear AP sound/dynamics while flying Boeing 787-8 (Flightgear V2018.3.1)

Here is how I do it on windows 10.
1) Press F12 to bring up "Radio Frequencies" window
2) It appears that COM2 dafault setting to 127.8 MHz (Selected) and 201.9 MHz (Standby) is tuned to ATIS. So just click the <-> and change to 120.9 (Selected) and 127.9 (Standby) and that did the trick. Or better yet, I just set value of "0" for Selected and that mute the sounds on COM2.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Henry Tran
Last edited by henrytran10 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henrytran10

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:26 pm

the radio settings are determined by which airport you are starting at, IIRC... in other words, COM2 will not always be set to 127.8 for ATIS...

you are right, though... the easiest way is to use F12 and switch to the second channel on which ever radio is emitting the unwanted noise at that time...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Fri May 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Some posts were split off to the new topic Frequencies in FlightGear vs. real life (was ATIS msg de...)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to FGCom