Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Tonight I can not update the 3.7 :(

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Re: Tonight I can not update the 3.7 :(

Postby abassign » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:55 pm

I tried again now, but I got the same error, it is obvious that the error was not corrected. I do not know who did the last "SimGear" commit in the module: .../test_http.dir/test_HTTP.cxx.o , but it is clear that if not corrected we not can use the updated 3.7, and this is not nice!

Code: Select all
[ 87%] Building CXX object simgear/io/CMakeFiles/test_http.dir/test_HTTP.cxx.o
/home/abassign/fgfs/simgear/simgear/io/test_HTTP.cxx: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
/home/abassign/fgfs/simgear/simgear/io/test_HTTP.cxx:669:37: error: ‘ENOENT’ was not declared in this scope
         COMPARE(tr->responseCode(), ENOENT);
                                     ^
/home/abassign/fgfs/simgear/simgear/io/test_HTTP.cxx:39:17: note: in definition of macro ‘COMPARE’
     if ((a) != (b))  { \
                 ^
make[2]: *** [simgear/io/CMakeFiles/test_http.dir/test_HTTP.cxx.o] Errore 1
make[1]: *** [simgear/io/CMakeFiles/test_http.dir/all] Errore 2
make: *** [all] Errore 2
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby punkepanda » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Hmm. People with commit privileges should at least test that the branch is working before going on vacation after a commit. This is not serious!
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Postby Amarildojr » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, these things happen everywhere, even with the Linux Kernel development. One time you report a bug and they solve it, next Kernel release the bug is there again :P The good thing about FlightGear is that bugs are resolved quickly, even with a very small development team.
Amarildojr

Callsign: TAM91

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:10 pm

You're treating the 3.7 branch as something it isn't. It's primary function is to serve as development version and there are no safeguards in place for people who just want to use it. If you compile yourself, you can tinker with the Makefiles or roll back the commits to get to a version which runs for you. If you don't, or if you don't know what I am talking about, you need to make your own backups if you don't want to find yourself with a non-working version.

Complaining that a development branch isn't a stable branch leads nowhere - it isn't, and nobody said so. It has been remarkably stable over the last years, which has probably led people to think of it as quasi-stable branch, but it still isn't.
Thorsten

Postby Amarildojr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:10 pm:You're treating the 3.7 branch as something it isn't. It's primary function is to serve as development version and there are no safeguards in place for people who just want to use it. If you compile yourself, you can tinker with the Makefiles or roll back the commits to get to a version which runs for you. If you don't, or if you don't know what I am talking about, you need to make your own backups if you don't want to find yourself with a non-working version.

Complaining that a development branch isn't a stable branch leads nowhere - it isn't, and nobody said so. It has been remarkably stable over the last years, which has probably led people to think of it as quasi-stable branch, but it still isn't.

That's why I'm using Stable (3.6). But tell me, does this kind of thing happen to Stable as well? Not that I'd mind it too much, I keep backups of everything I have, and then do backups of the backups hehehehehe.
Amarildojr

Postby Torsten » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:59 pm

Back in the "good ole days" there was a statement
" By using the CVS version you are implicitly agreeing to the fact of being a beta tester."
One may safely substitute CVS by GIT today.

You can easily fix the issue by simply disabling the tests for simgear.

Hint: check CMakeList.txt

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby abassign » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:51 pm

I know how to do to activate the stable version (I just turned on a backup copy of last week), but when I made the signal, I made it to alert the developers to warn them of the problem, in the hope that the problem is easily solved in a relatively limited time. In fact, if I were the one who did comit, I would go immediately to correct the mistake, because I think developers have every incentive to test version 3.7 Fgfs to most enthusiasts. But apparently, those who have made that change, is still at large ;) ...
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby Amarildojr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:59 am

So we can use, say, SIMGEAR stable, and FGFS Next on the same compilation "master folder"?
Amarildojr

Postby abassign » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:18 am

I know very well how do activate the stable version 3.4, but when I was reporting this alert to developers wose in the hope that the problem is easily solved in a relatively limited time. If I were the one who did comit, I would go immediately to correct the mistake, as I have every incentive to try to version 3.7 Fgfs to most enthusiasts. But apparently those who have made that change is still at large. Therefore, it is correct that will solve the problem as soon as possible and signals on this blog when the problem is resolved. If it does not ... as is happening at this time, it is a sign of a great incapacity and all that I regret very much. :shock:
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:01 am

yesterday i updated my FGFS from the repo... this was after the new version number had been assigned... i was able to compile and run it with no problems... was even able to fly with full AI execution and chased an AI all the way from heathrow to miami with no faults or crashes... i didn't visit this site again until just now because i had to $work$ today...

part of ""the problem"" is that in most cases, new code is written and committed to the repos whether the committer attempts to compile the code locally or not... this is quite common place all across the industry... in most cases, committers do not attempt to compile the code when there's a system like jenkens in place which will compile it and report back any errors...

i'm confused by you use of the term "blog"... these forums and the dev mailing list are not blogs... just like this simulator is not a game as some are inclined to call it :)

on your use of "incapacity", this compilation failure had nothing to do with any "incapacity"... it is the normal work flow to write the code and commit it... catching the errors comes later when reported by jenkens or by humans like you and i ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby abassign » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:40 am

:) Today I was able to correctly complete the program, so I assume that "someone" has solved the problem ... Unfortunately, those who have made the change did not say anything explicitly ... Sometimes I have the impression that those who work on the kernel is a Martian who occasionally is on the lands with a UFO, it stops at the first internet-point, and from there change the code and commit. Then, not to be noticed too (it's still an alien with a UFO that not certified by the FAA!) Runs away back to his planet, as the "little prince" in his asteroid. Strange alien world that develops FGFS, which remains well away from the necessity of all of us users of this decadent planet called Earth. :(
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby Torsten » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:12 pm

No, not an alien. Real humans and extremly friendly people in fact :-)

If you want to be notified about any changes happening in the code, just subscribe to the flightgear-commitlogs mailing list.
Every commit to our repositories sends you a detailed report what has changed. You can also browse the archive here: http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mai ... ommitlogs/

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:17 pm

@abassign:

Please note the following:

With 3.7, you are using a development version, and in doing so, you should be aware that it may not work for you without further notice. If you have not known before, please take Torsten's comment above as the relevant information - now you know. There's really no reason to post even a word about this in the forum, as the forum is not where core development is discussed. There's also no reason to post a complaint to the mailing list unless you have debug-relevant information to share. The people actually working with the devel branch monitor it for breakage and usually make concise reports to the list when they spot something amiss.

You are evidently not using the mail feed features of the repository infrastructure, nor are you reading the commit logs - otherwise you'd know who has committed what and when. You don't need to, but not monitoring the relevant channels and complaining that nobody informs you personally on the channels you prefer is a bit odd.

Also, the fact that a change X runs on one system unfortunately doesn't mean it runs on another. Linux isn't Windows isn't MacOS - most developers run some form of Linux, so breakage on Windows is usually detected with some delay. Same with rendering - what runs on NVIDIA doesn't necessarily run on ATI, so things may break unintentionally till a meaningful bug report arrives. In all likelihood you don't know this, which would explain why you rant about developers not testing their changes. Please consider this the relevant information - now you know.

Finally, let me re-iterate again that the development branch is *not* for the 'necessity of all of you users' - that's what the stable branch is for. If you mis-use a branch, kindly don't complain if it doesn't work as you expect it to.

Thanks you!
Thorsten

Postby dutchguy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Dear all,

Today another update to simgear failed to compile for me (yesterday it worked), and the error occurs in the following code:
696   #if defined(ENABLE_CURL)
697         const int SERVER_NO_DATA_CODE = CURLE_GOT_NOTHING;
698   #else
699         const int SERVER_NO_DATA_CODESERVER_NO_DATA_CODE = 500;
700   #endif
701         COMPARE(tr->responseCode(), SERVER_NO_DATA_CODE);

The compiler complains about SERVER_NO_DATA_CODE not being declared in line 701, and gives a warning about line 699 where the variable SERVER_NO_DATA_CODESERVER_NO_DATA_CODE is declared but unused, so it looks to me that in line 699 there should just be
const int SERVER_NO_DATA_CODE = 500

but of course I'm not the author of the code, so I don't know whether that produces the intended result. Of course I can compile again using CURL, which should solve this also, but I thought I'd mention the error anyway.
dutchguy

Postby elgaton » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:31 pm

@dutchguy: zakalawe has pushed the relevant fix 45 minutes ago - I think the code should compile for you now.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

PreviousNext

Return to Compiling