Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Bush planes

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Bush planes

Postby SP-K79 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Unfortunately I don't have much choice right now. Upgrading my RAM from 4 to 12 gb where I live costs about a 1/5 to 1/4 of an average wage. Plus I went back to os x 10.6.8 because maverick was too much for my computer. FG 3.4 and later requires at least 10.7 which I'm considering since it worked OK. When I was running 3.4 it was fine but I'm OK with 3.2 if only those planes work. Is there a way of fixing those planes for 3.2?
Hue Peter Coal
JAFVA, Vice President
"Never fly where you have not flown in your mind, five minutes age."
SP-K79

Callsign: SP-K79
Version: 3.2.0

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:08 pm

there may or may not be any way to do that... it depends on the features they use... if they use features only available since 3.5 became 3.6, then no... their authors will have to do something to detect the FGFS version and disable things that don't work or work differently in older versions... the decision to make the craft "backwards compatible" is up to the authors...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:27 am

I haven't been too active in FG lately unfortunately,and I'm still using 3.0. So I don't know how well the planes work on the newer version of FG.

There is a issues with the C170BW file that I remember,(that's why it's in the development section) I'll have to go back and look at that.

I have no idea what the Rembrandt problem is, I always have Rembrandt disabled and never had an issue.(Note I don't really build from scratch so that may be a problem with the base plane or Blender export.)
Try deleting the shadow file, that may be the cause of the grey square.

As for the Pa20 engine noise and gauges that has me puzzled. That's one of the best planes aside from the steering.

The Turbo 170's problem may be due to the engine swap, some factors may not be there for all the instruments and sound.

Glade to see your like the planes :) ,I'll try to work on your complaints,Also maybe some new plane will come.
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:31 am

Also the actual BushCub was done by Wlbragg,not me.
MountainFlyerN22

Postby SP-K79 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:53 pm

OK. Thank you all for replying.

I have tried deleting the shadow files in the past without any success. Now I have deleted the shadow related files in the BushCub and the tile is gone however, the Rembrandt grey windows remain. : ( And the engine instruments are still dead as on every model of the J-3 I have ever tried. I deleted the shadow files on the J-3 with bush tires you have sent me some time ago and it works. : ) Are there many differences between the old Cub and the one you have linked in this forum?

In the TurboCub after deleting the shadow files the tile has disappeared. : )

In PA-20, in the Models>Instruments>sub folders, all the *.*.ac files are showing up as documents instead of executable files like in all the other models. Could this be the cause of it? How can I fix it?
Hue Peter Coal
JAFVA, Vice President
SP-K79

Postby SP-K79 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Re-downloaded PA-20 and for some reason it works.

It really is a great model and plane.

Only the problem with the Cessna 170 Turbo. I noticed many files copied from the 172. Could it be a problem with one of those?
Hue Peter Coal
JAFVA, Vice President
SP-K79

Postby SP-K79 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Just got around to flying them your bush planes.

The PA-20 in not steerable on the ground. At all unless you want to try turning while braking onto the front wheels. No point trying to taxi from the ramp to the runway. This goes for both the regular and bush tire option. Hope this is fixable. This makes takeoffs next to impossible as well.

Love the aircraft and what you have done.
Hue Peter Coal
JAFVA, Vice President
SP-K79

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:55 pm

does the PA-20 have a locking tail wheel? if so, you probably need to unlock it while taxiing and lock it back straight once you are lined up for takeoff and flying... after landing, you unlock it again to get to the terminal and parking...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby SP-K79 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:08 pm

That was my first thought since it's a trail drafter. I tried that with no luck.
Hue Peter Coal
JAFVA, Vice President
SP-K79

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:56 pm

in my FGADDON i have Piper-PA-18, Piper-PA-32, pa-22, pa24-250 and pa28-161 but no Piper-PA-20 or pa20 or similar... i can only assume that this craft is from some private hanger... looking back, i see that it is available in a dropbox... after downloading it, i see that it has the exact same readme file as the pa-22 in the default official flightgear hanger... since the pa-22 is a tricycle gear craft, this pa-20 may not have had the tail wheel lock added... i don't see it mentioned in the documentation and it certainly doesn't move with the rudder... the only way i found to steer was with differential braking but that didn't stop it from looping left when i increased the throttle to takeoff power :shock:
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby SP-K79 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Yes, you have described it very diligently. I downloaded it from the link found on the first page of this topic. I have tried a few times the differential breaking with similar effects.

Would it be possible to fix this issue?
Hue Peter Coal
JAFVA, Vice President
SP-K79

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:13 pm

i'm absolutely sure it would be but it is not something that i can do... i'm still learning my way around the outside of the maze ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:13 pm:i'm still learning my way around the outside of the maze

I need to remember that wonderfully expressive metaphor. :mrgreen:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby swampthing » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:45 am

I love the idea of bush planes since I love bush planes but what I have found in flight gear is that when I take a plane off of the runway into the brown it takes a lot of throttle to move and into most green areas you just get stuck. If it is a flat grassy or hard surface I should be able to land without going end over and also take off again.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:06 pm

The PA-20 tailwheel was made to be steerable I think,but when that didn't work I went to canistering and since that didn't seem to change a thing I went back to steering.

I'll go back and see what's up with it.
MountainFlyerN22

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft