Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Cessna 182S  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Cessna 182S

Postby gsagostinho » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Cessna 182S project

Git repository: https://github.com/HHS81/c182

To install, go to the repository above, click "Download ZIP" and copy the folder c182 into your $FG_AIRCRAFT directory.

You need current FG 3.5 or higher along with FGDATA 3.5 or higher.

****************************************************************************************

Original post, split from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27490:

@openflight I think the 3D model itself isn't very convincing, so even though your modifications look better I still find this model quite inaccurate. See for instance what Heiko has managed so far:

@bugman Heiko has proposed that we keep working on the GitHub repository and then add milestones to FGAddon, which also sound good to me. Would that be all right with you, Edward? I will ask for commit access to FGAddon in the dev list then.
Last edited by gsagostinho on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gsagostinho

Re: Cessna 182 - Improving the model

Postby openflight » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:29 am

My modificiations were experimental, to see what could be done with the existing model. Colors help a little, so even with a high poly model the same applies - a suitable color scheme adn a pilot brings out the best in a model.

As for the new C182 pictured above - it's a really great model, will download and review it as soon as I can. Great stuff! 8)
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby bugman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:02 am

gsagostinho wrote in Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:57 pm:@bugman Heiko has proposed that we keep working on the GitHub repository and then add milestones to FGAddon, which also sound good to me. Would that be all right with you, Edward? I will ask for commit access to FGAddon in the dev list then.

If this repository is still active, then continuing with it is a good idea. The other suggestions were if the repository was abandoned and to be replaced by another development process. I'm trying to document all possible FGAddon development scenarios, so any feedback on this documentation would be appreciated. If history is of interest, the section http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGAddon#Connecting_an_existing_git_repository_to_FGAddon might be of use for the GitHub repository. Or I could add a new section if a different method is used to update FGAddon (though deleting all the files in FGAddon and replacing them with the new ones, as was done with the c172p, is very far from ideal for any version control system so I don't think I'll document that). For some potential FGAddon development issues, see http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGAddon#Deficiencies_of_git-svn.

Cheers,

Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby openflight » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:28 pm

How can I download the C182 new version - I am using FG 3. The sourceforge dowload runs into more than 50MB is there a smaller 15mbor so version?
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby clrCoda » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:44 pm

May I please interject how impressive and appreciated the work regarding the history, and the versioning system instructional that the True Bugman, Edward has linked in this thread and shared at wiki!

Keep Up Da Out-Standing Work! Or KUDOS-w for short.

Edward, I only saw one thing that tripped me up and that was my first encounter with the word 'dcommit' on the page. Down the page the word is used again and explained via context:

Where <aircraft> is the aircraft directory name in FGAddon. Note that this step can be performed without commit access to FGAddon by using a read-only SVN URL instead, but then changes cannot be pushed (dcommitted) back to FGAddon

...which is fine, providing some one not familiar with the term look it up on google or read the entire page.

Otherwise, this read clear and concise, was not intimidating, made it look possibly easier than it really is ( see gsagostinho above ), and puts the entire project in much sharper focus for those of us that may have not had much opportunity to use these tools.

You Da Bugman! again, KUDOS!
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby bugman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 am

clrCoda wrote in Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:44 pm:
Where <aircraft> is the aircraft directory name in FGAddon. Note that this step can be performed without commit access to FGAddon by using a read-only SVN URL instead, but then changes cannot be pushed (dcommitted) back to FGAddon

...which is fine, providing some one not familiar with the term look it up on google or read the entire page.

Cheers, I turned the 'dcommitted' word in an anchor link to http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGAddon#Synchronising. I also changed the text in this section to:

FGAddon#Connecting_an_existing_git_repository_to_FGAddon wrote:Where <aircraft> is the aircraft directory name in FGAddon. Note that this step can be performed without commit access to FGAddon by using a read-only SVN URL instead, but then changes cannot be pushed back to FGAddon (dcommitting, as it is known in the git-svn terminology).

This should allow for a quick lookup of what a 'dcommit' is, and a quick understanding. I definitely need more cross-linking in this article.

clrCoda wrote in Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:44 pm:Otherwise, this read clear and concise, was not intimidating, made it look possibly easier than it really is ( see gsagostinho above ), and puts the entire project in much sharper focus for those of us that may have not had much opportunity to use these tools.

When complications arise, I hope that the aircraft developers will make the issues public on the devel mailing list so that I can fully document everything. I hope to turn the FGAddon wiki article into a fully comprehensive reference.

clrCoda wrote in Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:44 pm:You Da Bugman! again, KUDOS!
Ray

Thanks! I hope that this article will be of help for all aircraft developers. Even for those developing for the venerable private hangars, the knowing the history, design, and operation of FGAddon should be of benefit. It's just a pity that I didn't write this exactly one year ago when the fgdata-old split was forced to happen. I have a feeling that that would have changed the course of events this year.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:01 am

Hi all,

Heiko has made a lot of progress with the 3D model, it's looking absolutely stunning in my opinion! I started texturizing the interiors now, here is a quick preview showing my first efforts with the panel (please remember this is a work in progress and this is just a small preview):

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you all!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby gsagostinho » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:07 am

This is how the cockpit textures are looking today:

gsagostinho

Postby f-ojac » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:43 am

Very very promising. Say thanks to Heiko, he did tremendous job !
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby gsagostinho » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:39 pm

@f-ojac Thanks a lot, I am glad you like our work so far (though I barely started scratching the surface of this model with my textures yet). Indeed Heiko's model is stunning :) I will say hi to him, cheers!
gsagostinho

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:40 pm

I am impressed by the textures. Nice work!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks, lego!
gsagostinho

Postby gsagostinho » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Interior is now texturized, just solving some minor UV-map problems together with Heiko and then I will push these:

gsagostinho

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:43 pm

That last pic could win ever contest in the books.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Martien van der P. » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Looks amazing!
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Next

Return to Aircraft