Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

The F14b JSBsim by Richard Harrison

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: The F14b JSBsim by Richard Harrison

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

yup... a quick look over the craft help and possibly the quickstart and then off we go into the wild blue yonder! :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:14 am

V1.3 of the F-14 is now available on my site and in FGAddon

* For FG 3.6 or later: http://www.zaretto.com/sites/zaretto.co ... -11-30.zip
* For FG 3.4 http://www.zaretto.com/sites/zaretto.co ... -11-30.zip

I haven't tested anything prior to FG 3.4 - so it might work but I can't guarantee it.

V1.3 (some of these changes were in 1.2x), so this is really a round of all the current changes.

* New F-14A (with TF-30 and compressor stall)
* Flight modelling of aerodynamic effects when wing torn off.
* Backlit panels
* New canopy glass, including frosting and glare effects.
* ALS interior effects.
* ECS systems
* New Afterburner models (3d and FDM). ALS flames. Rembrandt has emissive light when the burners are lit.
* New altimeter (as per aircraft)
* Revised gauges to match aircraft: Acceleration, ASI, VSI, Radalt,
* New Liquid oxygen gauge, cabin pressure, and ECS panels.
* Removed coarse cockpit for better FGCamera support
Richard

Version: Git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:17 am

Great stuff :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby abassign » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:40 pm

@Richard

Beautiful work :)
I checked out, however, that it was this defect when it has the effect of ice on the hood, and that strange sloping line that I marked with "?".

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:42 pm

Try a reflection of the opposite edge of the cockpit.
Thorsten

Postby abassign » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:10 pm

@Thorsten
Try a reflection of the opposite edge of the cockpit.

this difect has the same symmetry ...

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:54 pm

@abassign: i think what thorsten is trying to say is that it is the reflection of the cockpit sill from the other side of the craft... in other words, it is not a defect... you are supposed to see the reflections :wink:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:41 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:54 pm:@abassign: i think what thorsten is trying to say is that it is the reflection of the cockpit sill from the other side of the craft... in other words, it is not a defect... you are supposed to see the reflections :wink:

@Thorsten is this something that the shader does automatically; as I don't think the red strip should be in the reflection map; it's an artefact from the incorrectly drawn glass.

I've had a look at this before and to fix it I need to redo the glass mesh for the canopy as it's a bit overlapping and not particularly well aligned with the frame.
Richard

Postby Thorsten » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:46 am

The shader uses the normals and the environment cube map you hand to it to do reflections automatically. Given that there is red strips on (presumably) both sides of the cockpit, I'm assuming they are part of the environment cube, and if so, their position isn't crazy given we have a curved canopy.

That's all I can judge from the screenshots. For sure they'll appear *somewhere* on the glass, and for sure they show curvature because the normals change - whether they are in the correct position is a more tricky question.
Thorsten

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 am

F-14: Updated version available in FGAddon V1.4, requires 2016.1 or later

The major improvement in this release relate to carrier landings; onspeed carrier approaches are much better (tested at 50k, 130kts). Also the arrestor wires are better simulated with overspeed approaches causing less effective arresting, too much overspeed and the wire will 'break' (reset takes 60seconds).

The wingsweep lever in the throttle quadrant is now operational, and the flap handle can be set to any position.

Full list of changes:

* radar improvements, RCS simulated, RWR improved, selection,
* carrier landing improved on speed by rework of flap and slat aerodynamics.
* carrier landing: overspeed arrestor wire simulated; small overspeed lessens efficiency, large overspeed breaks wire, takes 60seconds to repair.
* Wingsweep control (throttle quadrant) added
* Nose gear kneel for cat launch and extend
* Revised flaps schedule to better match aircraft.
* Flaps lever in throttle quadrant can now be set to any position. flaps and slats adjusted to be as per aircraft.
* Added chaff / flares Q
* Revised eye point (based on measurements from photos); better for carrier approaches
* Hardpoint and armament locations corrected; better launch animations
* Keybinding "S" for smoke, smoke works on multiplayer
* added lock shoot lights to canopy.
* AIM54 simulated
* HUD: Fixes armament type indication. added lock circle
* Added support for launcher previews and new splashscreens

bugs fixed;
* prevent engagement of launchbar in air
* afterburner sound fixed
Richard

Postby OK-F » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 am

Hey Richard great work with F-14! It flies wonderful. One the best planes in FG. Together with P51 my favorites. Anyway for a little bit deeper immersion can you make the bird to be cold and dark when loaded? I find it a bit strange that the engines are already running. Also wings should be swept back and some switches like AFCS pff, GEN off, HYD TRANS PUMP shutoff etc. The quickstart is already implemented so it should not affect beginners :D
OK-F

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:03 pm

OK-F wrote in Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 am:... can you make the bird to be cold and dark when loaded?

The default state on a fresh install is cold and dark. Otherwise it will mostly keep it as you left it, so if you're in the habit of jumping out of a running aircraft without doing a shutdown that's what it'll be when you get back in.

So no, I won't change this; however I will add a cold and dark to the menu; expect it soon. I'm not promising that it will be accurate as per NATOPS but that is something that could be improved later on.
Richard

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm

@richard: i was going to suggest maybe have two options on the menu... now three, i guess... "cold and dark", along with "pre-startup" and "shutdown"...

i was thinking about procedures where a pilot would arrive at the craft and the ground crews would have the craft to a certain power up point (pre-startup) for the pilot to take over and do his thing... this might place APU, ladders and other things as needed... after a flight, the pilot might shut the craft down to a certain point (shutdown) and then the ground crews would take over to complete the rest of the shutdown and storage procedure after the pilot is gone... these would be like shortcuts to these stages while the user is learning the proper procedures to reach these stages manually...

too much?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby OK-F » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 am

For me even if I previously switched the engines off they are running next time I load the plane. Only thing I can do is to set amount of fuel to 0 before I quit the simulator so the engines run out of fuel in a few sec. next time I load the sim. Also AFCS, Generators etc. it is always on. Anyway it is only a detail and if you gonna make cold and dark setting that's great!
OK-F

Postby hans05 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am

OK-F, have you tried deleting the aircraft status saving file? In Xubuntu it is at

/home/hans/.fgfs/aircraft-data/

Don't know about Windows. There you find an f-14b.xml which saves the status of the aircraft.
If you delete it, it will be re-created automatically, so don't worry :wink:
hans05

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft