Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

(Warning, offensive language) Can this help pin down CooCoo?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

(Warning, offensive language) Can this help pin down CooCoo?

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Good evening folks.
I had a quite..... say interesting chat with CooCoo or whatever that EDDF troll calls himself.
I did not mention it before, as I had no proof, but broesing in my AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org folder, I saw mp-message.txt
Now, i have no idea how this came to be there.
I don't remember saving it there..... no idea such functionality existed.

But now.
While it may not help if he uses a proxy, could the owner of FlightGear multiplayer infrastructure ban via IP the IP which used the callsign "YV-NIGG" (he is a rascist, sexist, insulting, troll) on Wed 29 October 2015?
http://mpserver15.flightgear.org/module ... ID=6367087

He used the callsign MH320, PH-COR, and YV-NIGG, all while denying he was coocoo just after switching callsigns.... for example, a 777-200LR pops up seconds after it dissapears, in the same place, with a new callsign, and they are not the same person at the other end, right? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

So, if you want further information, I will carefully censor.... disturbing let us say.....language in the mp-message.txt and post it here.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: (Warning, offensive language) Can this help pin down Coo

Postby Johan G » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:55 am

If the mpservers needed a login it would be easy, but otherwise it is not. He can change his callsign faster than the admin could ban him and IP addresses are rarely more persistent than say the license plate for cabs from an airport in a larger city.

Incidents like these usually makes me think that it would not be too bad if the MP network required registered account with a (limited) number of associated callsigns no one else could use.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:22 am

Then you could link the forum account with the MP account. Or, you could have a FlightGear in general account, so that if you lost user prefs you could download from your account.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 am

Johan G wrote in Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:55 am:If the mpservers needed a login it would be easy, but otherwise it is not. He can change his callsign faster than the admin could ban him and IP addresses are rarely more persistent than say the license plate for cabs from an airport in a larger city.

the server logs should contain the necessary information if the time stamps in the linked pic are accurate and in the same timezone...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hazuki » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:24 am

Johan G wrote in Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:55 am:If the mpservers needed a login it would be easy, but otherwise it is not. He can change his callsign faster than the admin could ban him and IP addresses are rarely more persistent than say the license plate for cabs from an airport in a larger city.

Incidents like these usually makes me think that it would not be too bad if the MP network required registered account with a (limited) number of associated callsigns no one else could use.

OS is doing that (the MPserver login) but it is far from completion. I understand that is hard as fgms is written in C++ and big revamp of coding is needed.

I would say, C++ programmer (or programmer in other language if he/she could totally rewrite the code) is needed.

P.S. I am not a C++ programmer
EDIT: BTW, code is here: https://gitlab.com/fgms/fgms-0-x
Hazuki

Callsign: Quofei
IRC name: Hazuki

Postby Mike-G » Fri May 12, 2017 8:10 pm

hi
sorry to drag this old item up
but this situation still needs addressing
today Friday May 12th 2017 at 15:00 to 16:45 I was doing ATC at EGSS
some guys came in with rely offensive obscene call signs F**K C**T
I asked them to change these and only ran up to stupid comments from them, they seemed to think it was some kind of joke
at the time i had some females with me and they were shocked to say the least

this kind of think can only get Flightgear online a bad name and should be stopped
we need a way to identifie these people and warn them officially and if that gets no results then ban them totally or for a certain time period

hopefully a mod will see this and come up with a solution cos at the moment i cant find one

Rgds All
Mike-G
Mike-G

Callsign: Mike-G

Postby FlugHund » Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Mike-G wrote in Fri May 12, 2017 8:10 pm:I asked them to change these [...]

You've given the dog a bone.

Mike-G wrote in Fri May 12, 2017 8:10 pm:and only ran up to stupid comments from them,

See?!
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Sun May 14, 2017 4:48 am

In essence "Dont feed the trolls". ;)

For most cases like this the ignore button on the pilot list is the way to go.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Multiplayer