Board index FlightGear Release candidates

Please test the 3.6 RC

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

Re: Please test the 3.6 RC

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:31 pm

Bug Bunny wrote in Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:52 pm:+ When I switch with alt+tab between simulator and other programs flightgear will change its mouse behaviour (TAB key).

make sure you let go of the ALT key last... i do this myself at times and simply have to remember to let off the TAB first and then the ALT...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby someguy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:54 am

3.6RC (from 1 Sept) got very weird tonight. The Launcher takes around 100% of CPU, per Activity Monitor, which initially drops to ~50% when FG is run. But after a few seconds, CPU usage goes wild, and RAM usage shoots up over the next minute or so, until the Spinning Pizza of Death appears and fgfs stops responding and must be force-quit. This is not at a fancy airport, and is independent of Terrasync, MP, or choice of aircraft. This afternoon, everything worked perfectly. Something borked.

I'd post a log, if I knew how to get one. It seems to have been removed from the Launcher.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby VicMar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:46 am

Hi Someguy,

Try here: ~/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/fgfs.log

You have to do it immediately after the incident. I don't think it saves historic data.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:22 am

first spike is a first freeze when I look ~160 deg to my right and second big freeze - when I look to my left, after that my fps is totally smooth without any stutter/freezes. Is this a bug?

I suspect that's terrain texture loading and mipmapping. Things like that used to be rather prominent for hires liveries - looking at the F-16 for the first time in outside view led to a second-long freeze for instance because the texture needed to be loaded. It's one of the strongest argument for dds textures as they can be loaded with pre-generated mipmap - that gave much shorter freezes.
Thorsten

Postby someguy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:03 pm

From fgfs.log, after a lot of normal-looking stuff, this line repeats until all 16 GB of my RAM is gone and I have to power down the Mac to recover:

Code: Select all
aircraft:3:/Users/Shared/Hudson/MacRelease/flightgear/src/Model/modelmgr.cxx:70:Adding model [unnamed]

There are also a lot of these:

general:3:/Users/Shared/Hudson/MacRelease/simgear/simgear/scene/material/matlib.cxx:247:SGMaterialCache::~SGMaterialCache() size=286

and

terrain:3:/Users/Shared/Hudson/MacRelease/flightgear/src/Scenery/tilemgr.cxx:222:sched_tile: new tile entry for:-5:2, 53:5

No Terrasync, no AI traffic, no METAR.
someguy

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:28 pm

what is the exact (minimal!) use-case to reproduce this ?
Have you tried using the draw-masks to disable models/scenery and check your theory that those log entries are related to the process running out of memory ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby someguy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Never mind. The problem went away when I trashed 3.6RC and dug 3.5 out of my TimeMachine backup.
someguy

Postby berkut » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Does anyone have at least some date when we will have the stable version?

Thanks.

Regards
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:13 pm

it's all handled by volunteers, so it depends on their degree of spare time - and there is also FSWeekend around the corner
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:06 am

The Approach option was COOL! needs some more options to work:
--vc(whatever it's called) to 100kt or so
- engines all ON
or you will stall immediately after start hehe:)
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:35 pm

The problem went away when I trashed 3.6RC and dug 3.5 out of my TimeMachine backup.

at least to me, it doesn't make too much sense that the Qt5 launcher should have any effect on FG at run-time, due to the way it is integrated currently (or rather NOT integrated...)

Either way, I find it unfortunate to see that people have the tendency to revert back to older fgfs versions instead of following up with more useful information in order to troubleshoot/understand such issues properly.

No offense, but this is exactly how we arrived at having so many significant bugs with the only "solution" being to either delete $FG_HOME contents (e.g. the navcache) or even re-install FG from scratch (possibly even an outdated version).

Basically, that is the mentality of Windows users, and it is unfortunately not constructive to identify, understand and fix actual bugs - to see for yourself, just run a forum search for "sqlite" or "navcache/navdb", and you will literally find hundreds of end-users affected by features that didn't receive sufficient testing.

If we are now also going to see a similar degree of issues related to an OPTIONAL feature like the Qt5 dependency, we are going to cripple FG even more, which means that even fewer people will be able to use FG without resorting to weird workarounds in the form of having to delete/re-install stuff, just because there is so little testing/constructive feedback.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Raider1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:20 am

Hi everyone.

Windows 7 Pro, HP DV7, AMD A8.

I have been running 3.6 for a few days now, and am now experiencing a serious issue.

Each time I click on the screen, it takes a screenshot. If I switch screens or move about, it takes another. It starts from load (I have a few screenshots of the load screen), and takes about 10-15 shots a minute. What other info do I need to provide?

Raider1
Raider1
(Alternate call-signs: Raid-1, Raid-2)

Member of Operation Red Flag (OPRF)
http://opredflag.shivtr.com/
Raider1

Callsign: Raider1
Version: 2016

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 am

A screenshot would be nice, if you could possible figure out how to get one under the circumstances.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Raider1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 am

MIG29pilot wrote in Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 am:A screenshot would be nice, if you could possible figure out how to get one under the circumstances.

Is this in jest? It takes a screenshot every time i click away from the screen. I have PLENTY of screenshots! I have already deleted a few dozen from just today and last night. But there is nothing special in the screenshot, just the normal text that states that it was saved to my desktop.
Raider1
(Alternate call-signs: Raid-1, Raid-2)

Member of Operation Red Flag (OPRF)
http://opredflag.shivtr.com/
Raider1

Callsign: Raider1
Version: 2016

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 am

Would you have a cat sitting on the keyboard?
:)
Check nothing is keeping the F3 key pressed down.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

PreviousNext

Return to Release candidates